Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:19:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691077
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mutineer Highlanders  (Read 6105 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Mutineer Highlanders
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »
I really like those! Would that be roughly the same uniform as during the Crimean War? Or would that differ?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 03:28:44 PM »
Different. The uniforms worn when they went to the Crimea were much more fancy with all sorts of Napoleonic-style lace and other doodads. These uniforms turned into rags while they were there though, and were replaced by simpler ones (though still different to the ones worn in India).

Notice also some concessions to the climate: The feather bonnets have sunshades on them in the Mutiny (though how much help that would be when one is wearing half an ostrich on one's head is open to debate).
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 08:08:21 PM »
Different. The uniforms worn when they went to the Crimea were much more fancy with all sorts of Napoleonic-style lace and other doodads. These uniforms turned into rags while they were there though, and were replaced by simpler ones (though still different to the ones worn in India).

Notice also some concessions to the climate: The feather bonnets have sunshades on them in the Mutiny (though how much help that would be when one is wearing half an ostrich on one's head is open to debate).

Ostriches don't seem to need visors, but then again if they were to wear half a Campbell on their heads.....

I really like those! Would that be roughly the same uniform as during the Crimean War? Or would that differ?

It would be very rare to see full "European" uniforms worn in the Mutiny. Initially troops sent from the UK might wear their tunics, shakoes etc but very soon would go for comfort and coolness in the extreme climate. Odd items of home-service kit would be retained, but really every regiment would look very different from each of the others. This is both one of the great attractions of the war and a great source of frustration in trying to work out what they all wore. It's impossible to generalise except to say none of them would pass muster at Horse Guards  :)

You need to look for specific Mutiny uniform references to be sure. The Ospreys are a good start, as ever and they both have good pics of the Scots  ;)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 08:12:51 PM »
The Foundry book on India is a must too. Very very good indeed.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »
Ooh yes, I forgot that one  ::)

I know John French well and he is a real expert on the Mutiny, so you can be sure it is all accurate and up to date. Pricey at face value, but essential  :D

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »
Had a look at my Ospreys earlier just out of interest as trying to resist starting this era (which is failing swiftly!) and I like the way many Infantry Regiments have distinctive uniforms or non uniforms in many cases. This is a really nice range.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 12:21:18 AM »
Great models, I tried to resist but failed... Now I just look forward to recieving them  :)

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 06:26:19 PM »
There stunning, good stuff.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 11:49:56 PM »
I know John French well and he is a real expert on the Mutiny, so you can be sure it is all accurate and up to date. Pricey at face value, but essential  Cheesy

Gluteus Maximus - any chance of getting hold of John French's e-mail details, as I wanted to ask him some questions about his research on the Foundry India book. I am doing some books on the period and just wanted to touch base with him to compare some notes and ask for some advice. Please PM me if you can help.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »
Just wanted to put one more word in here, I recieved my models recently and they are absolutely stunning.

The guys from Mutineer are really friendly and helpful, the mailman had been rough on my package and two of the models rifles had snapped, but as soon as I informed them they offered to send replacements.

I can only respect a company with such beautiful models and great customer support.

Now I hope to get around to paint them soon.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »
I think I would like to use those for VSF, too. Must be the right attire for mars  :D

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »
I am still awaiting the postman pushing mine through the letterbox (which is a pain as I am on holiday today & tomorrow and my wife is in hospital so I was planning on starting them)

My thinking is that these would wear a deep red looking tartan but I keep finding a green/blue for the Camerons. Anybody know for sure or even got some good references?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 07:39:55 AM »
I have only reference material for Nappies, but I'll try to look them up there when I gent home (Funcken). Don't remember any as reddish, though.... greens and blues in abundance...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 08:37:09 AM »

The chap from the Osprey book posted above is from the 79th. There's quite a bit of red in his tartan. Osprey says this is Cameron of Erracht tartan. Trouble is, if you look up Cameron of Erracht on a tartan website to get a clear plan of it there are about twelve variations. Some green, some blue, some red.  ???

This one is from a later time, but has loads of red. How accurate it is I do not know...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 08:46:08 AM »
Here's something I've been puzzled by for a while: why bearskin on British troops? Not a lot of bears in the British islands, are there? Or is that because they were all shot so that their arses could be tacked into silly hats?