Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:56:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Company B introduces Harbor Designs- Japanese Special Naval Landing Forces  (Read 5580 times)

Offline BAMeyer

• Assistant
    • Company B
Harbor Designs is an affiliate of Company B and intends to produce figure lines in periods not well covered in the wargame's universe. Company B produces complimentary vehicles with many more to follow.

In stock and ready to go.

SNLF 1938  The Japanese Special Naval Landing Forces participated in the early war incursions into several Chinese coastal cities. The SNLF 1938 line represents these units in their tropical landing uniforms. Full platoon:  Command, LMG teams, Rilfles and HMG support.

SNLF 1932 These troops were part of the military units assigned to police the Japanese sector of Shanghai. The line represents these units in their naval uniforms.  Full platoon:  Command, LMG teams, Rilfles and HMG support

For pictures please see:  http://homepage.mac.com/brentdietrich/companyB_harbordesigns.html

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Very good idea. But I wonder if there really that big compared to the soldiers.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
I had high hopes for this range but unfortunately the sculpts look a bit crude compared to other lines for that period  :'(

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
I would have thought we would never of had any minis for these, now we have two ranges :o. Always good to have a choice.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
I had high hopes for this range but unfortunately the sculpts look a bit crude compared to other lines for that period  :'(

I saw some of these in person and they looked much better than they do in these pictures. I'm not sure the lighting is helping them.

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
I need to get painted pics up.  They do look better in your hands, and paint up very nicely. 

These are not meant to be character minis, but to bulk up your standing forces.  So you'd use them in conjunction with our other Japanese and Chinese infantry available through Brigade Games.

This is one of those instances in which the company B guys like to play games...and when a range is non existent, we go out and create one so we can game with them. Plus there is a whole slew of vehicles from this period coming out very soon as well...

There will be other miniatures in the range, spanning a number of genres, and from a variety of sculptors.  I'm partial to 2010-2011 US Army myself.  More on that later ;-)

Brent
Company B

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
...and when a range is non existent, we go out and create one so we can game with them. Plus there is a whole slew of vehicles from this period coming out very soon as well...

Brent
Company B

???

Although I've withheld comment thus far, I feel it is necessary for me to point out that this range is not, in fact, "non-existent."  Two weeks ago, we (Black Army Productions) released the first of our Japanese in M1930 uniforms and gear, which had announced on a number of occasions during the last several months (here, on the Miniatures Page, and in Tabletop Gaming News), including posting greens.

In fact, we have an entire range devoted to Shanghai (and, by extent, China) in the 1930s, which I began developing in large part due to the feedback I received on this board over a year ago expressing the fervent wish that this range be done by someone.  (Our range also includes more than a handful of historical personalities, both released and announced.) We've also made it no secret that we intend to expand our existing ranges, and to amend with new sculpts where necessary.

Of course, I certainly cannot object to other companies developing miniatures for this period - indeed, it had been (and continues to be) my hope that my figures will complement those of other companies with ranges devoted to the period and setting, such as Brigade, Company B, etc.  However, I do not believe it is entirely fair to claim that figures that I have worked hard to develop  - without the aid of any major backer or distribution system  - do not exist.  I may be a small company compared to most others, but I like to think I have produced a memorable product.

-Alex, Black Army

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
No offense meant Alex.

These figures are not really meant to compete with the excellent Black Army figures, or figures from Pulp, etc.  If anything, I would prefer to use Black Army or Pulp figures for small unit skirmish, which is what I play.

These are meant to be taken as a standing army, and support the other figures we offer in partnership with Brigade Games.  Sort of a generic troop set if anything.  And these are useful for SNLF raids and games used in conjunction with our other lines in PACWAR, such as Marines, etc.

These are pretty much support for the vehicles that we offer, and for specific games we play as a group. If other folks like them as well, that's fantastic.

I'll be the first however to buy Alex's figures and use them to head up any units of our own SNLF figs.

And as I mentioned, the line will not be specific to China, or any period. I do have a unit of U.S. Stryker Brigade moderns in planing as well, Sculpted by Mr. Mike Broadbent.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Well it's always nice to see more minis especially for relatively arcane subject matter. Of course Pulp have had suitable SNLF figures out for a long while but the more the merrier. Claiming propiety rights on a period of history seems a little silly but I can understand how you might feel if you have invested the dosh in a particular era and then someone else comes along and provides some competition.

A couple of queries though. I'm a little surprised at the weapons choices in terms of the LMG and MMG. Surely in 1932 the Type 11 was the relevant squad weapon. The minis seem to be carrying a weapon that wasn't produced until 1936. Similarly the heavy machinegun is a mystery. It looks like a rather crude and oversized Vickers gun, which seems a strange choice. Surely the Type 3 MMG would have been the more appropiate choice.

It would be nice to see a suitable artillery piece to accompany this range, each SNLF fielded a battery of guns.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Claiming propiety rights on a period of history seems a little silly but I can understand how you might feel if you have invested the dosh in a particular era and then someone else comes along and provides some competition.

No-one claimed propriety rights, or objected to competition. My objections were address in my original post. It's one thing to come out with something new. It's quite another to suggest that there is nothing else available, and that the product is being released to fill a pre-existing "gap." I think I was pretty nice about the whole thing, actually, when making my point. It wasn't a personal attack or a claim on the subject matter for myself.

To put it another way... If I were to release, say, WW1 Austro-Hungarians, that's one thing. To say that the topic is not covered, particularly since Battle Honours has done it for years, and given that Scarab Miniatures posts here regularly, would be somewhat disingenuous.

Incidentally, the SNLF covered by Pulp are a different type of soldier entirely. They are Japanese landing parties of kitted out sailors, rather than sailors specifically equipped as special naval landing forces for invasion operations. Neither were true "Marines," but the figures being done by Company B are closer to the appropriate equipment for what people usually (incorrectly) call "Japanese Marines."

We do plan to expand our own range, but of course, sales are the justification for any/all expansion, as is the case I'm sure with Company B and any other miniatures manufacturer. 

-Doc

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Actually from what I've read the first SNLFs were formed in the early 1930s and saw action in China. They were battalions almost the size of brigades and included their own light artillery. The Pulp models match contemporary photographs of Japanese naval infantry pretty much exactly, ie square rig, gaiters and tin hats.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
So these are the same size as Your 28mm Japanese, looking at the pictures they seemed smaller.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
same size.

We'll have painted side by side photos very soon.