Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:18:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters' League - Season Four - The Results  (Read 79806 times)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: The Lead Painters' League - Season Four - The Results
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 04:01:43 PM »
Congratulations!

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 04:19:07 PM »
Well done Cap'n and the other top rankers.  Three cheers for the Prof and congrats and thanks all round.  :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 04:57:58 PM »
If I might suggest, however, a return to the more even matchups we had in LPL3 - this season the waiting seemed more about whether I was matched up with one of the juggernauts than whether my painting was good enough.

I must agree with Froggy on this one.  Not that I'm complaining about how I placed (in fact I'm rather surprised but happy none the less  :)) but I too found I was waiting to see whether or not I would get "Prof"ed, "Blood"ied, "Chamber"ed, "Heldrak"ed, "Hammer"ed etc. every week.  I love the LPL format but perhaps some preferential Top 10 seeded matchups should occur after Round 5 (similar to S3).  Just my two cents...

Thanks to everyone who participated and voted, special thanks to the winner Captain Blood and all the contestants who I had the pleasure of matching up against this season and very special thanks to the Prof!   
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 06:39:35 PM »
I must agree with Froggy on this one.  Not that I'm complaining about how I placed (in fact I'm rather surprised but happy none the less  :)) but I too found I was waiting to see whether or not I would get "Prof"ed, "Blood"ied, "Chamber"ed, "Heldrak"ed, "Hammer"ed etc. every week.  I love the LPL format but perhaps some preferential Top 10 seeded matchups should occur after Round 5 (similar to S3).  Just my two cents...

Thanks to everyone who participated and voted, special thanks to the winner Captain Blood and all the contestants who I had the pleasure of matching up against this season and very special thanks to the Prof!   

Didn't Pete Murrey something similar a few years back, an 'Alles Verloren' league?

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 07:30:42 PM »
Congratulations to the winners, and indeed to everyone who took part in, or was involved with the LPL!

Hooray!

To the pub!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »
Congrats to all the players! I was desperate to enter this time, but went  ;D w/ the entry date, and blew it!  :'(  Next time, dammit!

As far as dumbing down the contest goes, don't do it! Learn to paint better if winning is all that important! I always enjoyed seeing the competition in contests I entered, even if it was obvious I was going to get my behind handed to me.

And while I see that the pace might be a bit hectic, if it means you can only enter one team because you are too busy, don't enter. Withdraw if it gets to be too much, and some of us who would like to play can step in.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 03:10:24 AM »
It's a great competition, and the level of the entries was astoundingly high! I had every intention of taking part, but two surgeries on my painting arm (I use VERY heavy brushes...) and the birth of my first child knocked that plan into a cocked hat. LPL5, though - count me in!

Congrats to everyone for producing such great minis, and of course to the Cap'n for his well-deserved (albeit very close!) win.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 03:58:16 AM »

I agree with Froggy and Darth James, I think that more moderator oversight on match-ups results in a better contest and in better morale for the entrants. It can be hard for a less-experienced painter to come up against one of the "Big Dogs", and as a spectator (and participant) I always prefer seeing close match-ups between roughly equivalent entries.

That being said, I would vote against anything resembling a tier system, or any kind of "seeding". I think the entries you get on the day are the entries you get on the day and each ought to speak for itself ("Big Dogs" have off-days and inexperienced painters are capable of inspired choices). I thought the way that Captain Blood ran things in LPL 3 resulted in lots of good equivalent match-ups. That being said, it does mean a much more difficult work-load for the organizer, and I'm sure that whatever matching system we wind up using will be fair and workable.

While we're on the topic, I think that it is a mistake to try to mandate the number of new entries (as some members have suggested). I think that everyone always intends to have 10 new entries every season, but real life does get in the way and if you wind up running the same entry all season that ought to be your privilege. Such entries tend to be heavily penalized in the voting anyway, so I don't think there's any further need to moderate them. One of the great things about the LPL is the friendly, collegial nature of the competition and since it works so well in that way, I think the fewer restrictions/mandates/etc. that we try to place on it, the better.

One further thought, it did seem like a lot of the entries received far fewer comments this year, and personally, I would always rather have more comments (even if they're critical) as that helps the painters to improve (whatever level they're working on).

Congratulations to all the entrants, huzzah for Captain Blood for his well-deserved gold medal and special thanks to Professor Witchheimer for hosting the best painting contest on the internet!
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Chambersofminiatures

• LPL Silver Medalist (S5,S7)
  • Scientist
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 04:00:42 AM »
Congrats to all who participated and placed, and fantastic job to Alex. I am shooting for 4th place next time to keep the dream alive!  ;D

As others and I have said before, the competition is a great opportunity to get some old lead painted. The 10 week schedule is grueling, i more than willing admit that, but isn't that the point of the competition?

Next time I will have my vengeance! ( Shakes paint brushes to the Heavens)
2013 Lead Tally: Acquired:219  Painted: 118   Total: -101
2014 Lead Tally: Acquired:197  Painted: 240   Total: +43
2015 Lead Tally: Acquired:275  Painted: 116   Total: -159
2016 Lead Tally: Acquired:223  Painted  140   Total: -83

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 05:28:37 AM »
Congrats to all the LPL4 participants; having done ten teams in eleven weeks for LPL3, it's a challenge even when you're dipping into unseen but already underway projects for figures!

There seemed to be a few more repeating entries this time around, including a few participants who only sent in one or two entries for the whole length of LPL4.

The bonus rounds seemed to get more creativity out of people than LPL3's bonus rounds; the Harpy outcropping during the Conan round and the many, many insane VSF entries stand out!

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 09:18:24 AM »
congratulation to the winner and to all participant!

No wooden spoon for me in my first season!
I am the second one in the "zero-won-games" ^__^

The Chick Challenge 2010 start!
Sharpen your brushes, the contest for the mini-babes has started!
The third edition of this classical contest managed for you by the Legio Pictorum is finally ready to start again.
You can find the detailed rules and the news on the dedicated site.
As of this year, all the miniatures will be presetned by their authors, not anonymously as before, and they are allowed to enter any other contest without the fear of being disqualified. Good news, huh?
Well, rush to get the news on the website, and good luck for the funniest and sexiest internet contest!!

http://www.farabi.it/ChCh/index.htm

AVE!!!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 01:34:15 PM »

I just wondering could it be possible to have a tread where people can post suggestions for the next LPL bonus rounds? A place where they can tell us about what they’ll like to see as themed rounds for the next LPL?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 02:17:17 PM »
I don't see why not. It would be good to collect ideas on potential bonus round themes.
I'll start a thread and make it sticky (for a while at least).

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »
I just wondering could it be possible to have a tread where people can post suggestions for the next LPL bonus rounds? A place where they can tell us about what they’ll like to see as themed rounds for the next LPL?

French & Indian War, anyone?!   lol :D

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 05:19:20 PM »
I'm still catching up with what I missed on LAF recently, but congrats to Richard for his silky painting skills helping him lift the LPL trophy. And congrats, frankly, to anyone game enough to enter. I'm perennially tempted but never really sure if I have the stamina. It's a great contest to follow as a spectator though. Cheers as usual to the Prof for putting it on.

:)