Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:11:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689337
  • Total Topics: 118274
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Standard Falls" Post Apocalyptic Project: Dr Leghorn - Update May11  (Read 15663 times)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Hey Cheet, saw this guy on your blog but figured I'd comment here instead. I actually chose not to get this when I ordered a batch of post apoc from Doug around x-mas. Your painting have changed that sentiment. When I need more scavengers, he's a given! Very well done, I love the skin tones!

As for matt spray sealer clouding minis up, I've found in 99% of the cases it's due to lack of patience. If you have coated it once, be it with matte or gloss sealer, then it must cure properly before another coat is applied or things can very well go fubar... I wait until my glossy coat is completely un sticky to the touch. It can take a few days with the no-name brand I've been using for years.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
I never heard of that film before but after a quick IMDB check I am definitely not surprised that the figure gave you a Bedsitting Room feeling.

In fact, it could easily be that the movie was a direct influence on the sculpt I reckon.  The cover of the DVD has Peter Cook in a bowler and its even set in a post-apoc world. 

Is the movie any good?  I now have it in my basket at Play.com, but is it watchable?  Is it worth a look or is it another Zardoz (as in kinda funny, but for all of the wrong reasons)?

I quite enjoyed it. It is Milligan at his most eccentric, low budget not to everyones taste and certainly not a classic, but if you are a fan of Spike then you'd probably enjoy it. There are also some very good actors in it.  I preferred the book, but then I'm a big fan of all his stuff. If it's only a couple of quid you  might try it.

Thanks.  Just to note that at £1.25 for a miniature that is actually supplied undercoated and with all flash and mould lines removed it really is a bargain.

I bought a load of Future Wars figures from em4 at Triples recently and was pleasantly surprised by them being prepped for painting. Added to the quality of the sculpting and the reasonable price, they are a real bargain. Definitely not my last purchase from them  :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
The Bedsitting Room is on Youtube in its entirety. I was watching it the other day. So you could take a look there to see if it is your cup of tea.

It is very much a Spike Milligan post-apocalyptic world, in which for example, after the "Nuclear Misunderstanding" the BBC consists of one man who roams the earth reading the news to people one at a time. He even does requests ("Do you do The Fall of Singapore?").

Don't be expecting Mad Max, or anything like that.

It was also the first thing I thought of when I saw that figure.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
The Bedsitting Room is on Youtube in its entirety.

Good news, thanks for posting that  :D

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Hey Cheet, saw this guy on your blog but figured I'd comment here instead. I actually chose not to get this when I ordered a batch of post apoc from Doug around x-mas. Your painting have changed that sentiment. When I need more scavengers, he's a given! Very well done, I love the skin tones!

Thanks phreedh.  I have been trying various different ways to paint skin tones for the last year or so.  This one worked better than some of the other attempts...

Quote from: phreedh
As for matt spray sealer clouding minis up...

Interesting, but I dont see myself going back to spray varnish again.  Between waiting for the weather to be ok for spraying, plus waiting between coats, plus the humidity risks where I am based I think that I am going to find a hand painted solution.  I really dont to risk getting that sinking feeling as the figures that I spent months painting cloud up again. YMMV and all that  :)

Quote from: Gluteus Maximus
I quite enjoyed it. It is Milligan at his most eccentric, low budget not to everyones taste and certainly not a classic, but if you are a fan of Spike then you'd probably enjoy it. There are also some very good actors in it.  I preferred the book, but then I'm a big fan of all his stuff. If it's only a couple of quid you  might try it.

That sounds like it would be worth a watch, thank you.

Quote from: plynkes
The Bedsitting Room is on Youtube in its entirety. I was watching it the other day. So you could take a look there to see if it is your cup of tea.

Great!  I will take a look over the weekend.  Thanks.

Quote from: plynkes
Don't be expecting Mad Max, or anything like that.

lol

I was thinking something more like a post-apoc Life of Brian :)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I saw Spike in the Bedsitting Room at the Liverpool Empire - gawd that was a long time ago..

Doug

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: "Standard Falls" Post Apocalyptic Project: Dr Leghorn - Update May11
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 11:56:18 AM »
A micro update on this.  I finished Dr Flint Leghorn and got a kick out of finally getting the troublesome ballbag over and done with (he sat on my painting table in a half finished state for months).

More details and larger photos on my blog.

As suggested earlier in the thread I used Winsor & Newton Galeria Matt Varnish this time. 
It seems to have worked well :) 
Thank you Steve F.

Next up will probably be a vehicle.

Comments, criticisms all welcome as usual :)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:20:09 PM by cheetor »

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 12:49:46 PM »
Wow, that's bloody awesome.

Love the patterns and I love the glasses. Really good detail.  :)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 06:45:55 PM »
Wow, that's bloody awesome.

Love the patterns and I love the glasses. Really good detail.  :)

Thanks Rob :)

I had not tried to paint leopard skin patterning since I was a kid (which didnt turn out that well back then...) so I was pleased that it turned out pleasing as it did. 

I think that it gives an amusing "witchdoctor" feeling to an already oddball figure.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 07:24:17 PM »
A micro update on this.  I finished Dr Flint Leghorn ...

And a lovely job you've made of him! Those leopardskin strides are fantastic - very 1980's Hair Metal (after a good night of debauchery, of course)  ;D

I've never really looked too closely at this figure before, but I realise he has great potential as the basis for a conversion of a "mini-me" I'm considering for my near-future SF games. I must get one  :D

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 07:50:35 PM »
And a lovely job you've made of him! Those leopardskin strides are fantastic - very 1980's Hair Metal (after a good night of debauchery, of course)  ;D

Thanks, I am pleased with how the trousers worked out. 

Regarding hair metal, someone put a picture of the guys from Stryper up on another thread the other day.  Those guys leave Dr Leghorn on the sideline lol

I've never really looked too closely at this figure before, but I realise he has great potential as the basis for a conversion of a "mini-me" I'm considering for my near-future SF games.

:o

It does?!?

From a guy who goes by "Gluteus Maximus" the mind really does start to boggle a bit  lol  ;)

I am a big fan of "Mini-Me"s in gaming, its always good for a few giggles.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 10:11:30 PM »
I see less hair metal, more post-apoc pimp tbh.

Not a bad thing, just needs some post-apoc ho's.  lol

Just realised how flipping big his gun is! Jeez!

Offline Arcturus

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 05:15:25 AM »
The leo pattern is a really cool idea and looks superb. Think i wouldn't even dare to try on something like this.
Beef Wellington is a great job too.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 08:27:31 AM »

Not a bad thing, just needs some post-apoc ho's.

The town of Standard Falls will eventually have a brothel, presumably with a few attendant sex workers, some of whom will be Total Recall style mutants while others will probably be aliens.  There will probably be some common or garden humans in there too  :D

Kristal Kanyons, the madam of the enterprise is undercoated and ready for painting at some point soon.

The leo pattern is a really cool idea and looks superb. Think i wouldn't even dare to try on something like this.
Beef Wellington is a great job too.

Thanks.  The leopard skin pattern is easier to paint than you might think.  Give it a go, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »

:o

It does?!?

From a guy who goes by "Gluteus Maximus" the mind really does start to boggle a bit  lol  ;)

I am a big fan of "Mini-Me"s in gaming, its always good for a few giggles.

Always keep 'em guessing! Not all the figure might be useful for it, but the head (including top hat  :D ) and gun definitely are.

It will be a slow project but hopefully will turn out ok!