Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:20:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690978
  • Total Topics: 118361
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re-equipping  (Read 2425 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re-equipping
« on: May 11, 2010, 04:54:07 AM »
The re-equipping rules have me a touch confused. Do I only get to spend the points that were invested in the agent that was removed? So if it was a 2BP agent with 2BP of equipment and 1 skill (+1BP) do I have 5Bp to spend when they get removed?

Offline gorillacrab

• Librarian
  • Horse and Musket buff
Re: Re-equipping
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 05:08:35 AM »
Our group was just reviewing that - and the answer seems to be on page 57. When adding a new model after "death", the total for all models must be 15 Base Points - not counting weapons and equipment.
It states that you can add as many points for weapons and equipment as you like.
One note: If I read the rules correctly, Base Points refer only to models' non-equipped costs, while Build Points are a total that also include weapons and equipment.
Base and Build Points sound (and even read) very similar and can cause confusion. I might recommend Model Points and Total Points or other words that aren't too similar.
Prof Challenger, I presume?

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:33:37 AM »
Gorillacrab reads correctly.  Base Points are the cost of your models, plus their acquired skills - gear is not included.  You can add as many new models as you like during re-equip, so long as the Base Points don't exceed 15.  There's no obligation to spend to the max though - I quite often just replace the model I've lost.  As you can see, it's also entirely possible that you may not be able to add agents during re-equip in the event that the total Base Points of the surviving agents is already 15 or higher.  Thus most long-serving Threshold Characters end their careers mad and alone...

Nasty Base Point fact: if an agent suffers from Amnesia, they lose a skill, but the Base Point is not removed from their profile.  Ouch!

You may also purchase as many Build Points worth of equipment as you like during re-equip - there's no limit.  Probably not wise to go overboard though, as the more gear you have, the nastier the beasties you'll face.  While loading out everyone with massive firearms does give you somewhat of a leg up, you'll find that no weapon can completely make up for unskilled agents taking on advanced horrors.

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:56:34 AM »
You may also purchase as many Build Points worth of equipment as you like during re-equip - there's no limit.  Probably not wise to go overboard though, as the more gear you have, the nastier the beasties you'll face.  While loading out everyone with massive firearms does give you somewhat of a leg up, you'll find that no weapon can completely make up for unskilled agents taking on advanced horrors.

Yeah its you bring a Knife i'll bring a Godling scenario  :o
Become who you really are... [/i]

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 09:10:20 AM »
Our group was just reviewing that - and the answer seems to be on page 57. When adding a new model after "death", the total for all models must be 15 Base Points - not counting weapons and equipment.

Not 'must'. May be anywhere up to.

Base points are the points costs of the models as they are listed, build points is base points plus any points used on extra gear. (I think you got that right)

Remember, that if you chose to re-equip to you maximum, more powerful lurkers can be brought into play. Not necessary a good thiong for Treshold....  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 06:20:34 PM »
Do the skills added to a character add to the base or the Build cost?

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 06:24:32 PM »
Skills are a Base Point.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 06:25:51 PM »
Skills are a Base Point.

Yes, everytime you add a skill, the base points for that character goes up by one.

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:30:31 PM »
Do note though that the initial Free Skill you select with any Character or Agent is included in their profile, and does not add an additional Base Point over and above the model cost.  Only skills acquired as the result of a scenario win will add Base Points.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »
So its conceivable that if I add skills during play that I can end up in a situation where an agent dies and the rest of my team is over 15pts and I can't add another agent?

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 07:21:37 PM »
Yup.  If you go on long enough, you may find yourself with nothing but a highly skilled Character.

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 08:49:52 PM »
it's very lovecraftian that way, one old, experienced, possibly deranged, lonely crusader against the forces of darkness.

what's not to love about the feel of that?  One of my favourite things about the game is how th threshold ends up, very atmospheric.

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 09:09:46 PM »
what's not to love about the feel of that? 

Nothing wrong with it :-) I just wanted to make sure I had it right :-)

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 09:50:42 PM »
We aim for equal parts Lovecraft and Howard.  Yes, you'll inevitably die mad and alone, but you get to beat the snot out of a bunch of monsters along the way!  :D

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 10:52:40 PM »
Clearly you've never seen how bad I am with dice