Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:31:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690641
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blacktree fantasy  (Read 2685 times)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Blacktree fantasy
« on: May 10, 2010, 10:17:20 PM »
Following a link from the beastmen topic I found the blacktree design fantays figs, they seem ok but I wondered if anyone had any and if so how they go with 1980s citadel?

Offline Spong

• Bookworm
  • We can't stop here...
Re: Blacktree fantasy
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:23:08 PM »
I'm quite a fan of Black Tree but the thing to remember about their ranges is there's quite a bit of diversity in the sculpting style.
I've got some of their Dwarves but I was very selective in what packs I chose as I wanted some that were more realistic in appearance and similar in scale/design to the LOTR and Vendel ranges. However, alot of their Dwarves are quite cartoony and somewhat similar to 80s/90s Citadel/Marauder Dwarves. I'm not sure how much this extends to the other races/lines.
I realise this info isn't that useful to your Beastman question but what I will say is you should probably go through their catalogue with a fine tooth comb and pick out the packs which have minis in a similar consistent style for what you're after. Also make sure you look at both the Black Tree Fantasy and Harlequin sections of the site as they both contain some fantastic figures and alot of them could be used together.

Hope this was at least somewhat helpful.

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 12:44:47 AM »
I'm quite a fan of Black Tree but the thing to remember about their ranges is there's quite a bit of diversity in the sculpting style.
I've got some of their Dwarves but I was very selective in what packs I chose as I wanted some that were more realistic in appearance and similar in scale/design to the LOTR and Vendel ranges. However, alot of their Dwarves are quite cartoony and somewhat similar to 80s/90s Citadel/Marauder Dwarves. I'm not sure how much this extends to the other races/lines.
I realise this info isn't that useful to your Beastman question but what I will say is you should probably go through their catalogue with a fine tooth comb and pick out the packs which have minis in a similar consistent style for what you're after. Also make sure you look at both the Black Tree Fantasy and Harlequin sections of the site as they both contain some fantastic figures and alot of them could be used together. Hope this was at least somewhat helpful.
  I agree 100%. I too got a lot of their dwarves back then, but like most companies of the era, there was a lot of "quality" variance in their figures.  You really need to see a good photo before you buy or hope for the best.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 06:18:18 AM »
Probably more 90's than 80's I'd say.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:14:55 AM »
I have a few of their beastmen in the leadpile and they were very similar to the first half of the 90's beastmen from GW.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:01:05 AM »
Yeah. Weren't they designed as cheaper alternatives?

I've always considered getting the dwarves but they look a little tall...

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »
I have the beastman x-bows. I like them a lot though they are a bit cartoony next to the '90s beastmen from GW. I think they may even be the old Harlequin ones.

With Blacktree you are essentially taking a big cut in price for a lower quality product. With a good paint job they make excellent rank and file. It can be a long wait for them to be delivered though.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 01:14:52 PM »
thanks guys I might go for a few of the character figures and see how it goes.

You're right part of the BTD are the old harlequin!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
My experience of Black Tree is to email them after a couple of weeks asking where your stuff is. Be nice about it and they are nice back.

They are stupidly cheap and the Harlequin range is, as you say, excellent for rank and file. In fact, I might just pick up some of the dwarves.  :)

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 07:03:48 PM »
I love the Black Tree and ex-Harlequin Vermen as alternatives to GW Skaven, except the rat ogres.  Some of the monsters like the griffin are excellent.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.