Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15/28mm single basing rules - which do you think better?  (Read 4790 times)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Re: 15/28mm single basing rules - which do you think better?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 11:45:29 PM »
Now I am currently painting figs. So I think I use 20 men unit (with 1 drummer and 1 flag bearer at the rear of formation just to add flavour to the game). An 10 men unit for marines, jagers, light infantry.
By the way what recomended unit size for Zulu?

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 12:52:18 AM »
Lots.  at least 3-1 Zulu 20 man unit to every British.

I always give them more, and judge the scenario after a game or two (I like them to be close).  If the Zulus aren't getting into melle and causing the brits fits, then i will add more units.

I give every Zulu Unit a sniper.  he can hang back in cover (doesn't have to charge with unit) and can fire when his unit is active.
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 11:28:08 AM »
All units, of whatever nationality/tribe, are normally 20 men strength. It's just the "higher" formations' sizes that can differ.

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 04:28:10 AM »
Help! What difference and duties was between Officer and Sergeant in real life. Officer was awmed with pistol and sword and sergeant was armed with rifle and also he has 3 stripes in sleve. But what dofference was between them?

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 05:55:44 AM »
Hi, Fjodin
Sorry for coming late to the discussion.

since you are in Australia, contact Castaway Arts for TSATF.

As for your question about the difference between officers and sergeants:  While there is overlap in responsibilities, the NCO is in charge of detail (make sure that every soldier has 100 rounds, rifles are clean and in good working order, soldiers are in proper condition to get the job done. Officer is in charge of big picture stuff - where is the unit going and what is it going to do when it gets there.  So officers are responsible for what, where and when, and sergeants are in charge of how.

Also (at least in the British army), officers tend to be middle and upper class 'gentlemen', directly commissioned, often straight from public school, while sergeants are working class, long service soldiers who have learnt (and earned) their trade the hard way.

Hope that helps a bit.

W

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 08:13:28 AM »
Thanx a lot! Now its more crear :)
By the way, I am currently painting Confederate Army, and is there are bouth officer and sergeants there? And does CSA sergeant same as in British Army (armed with rifle and have 3 stropes on sleeev)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 06:50:10 PM »
Thanx a lot! Now its more crear :)
By the way, I am currently painting Confederate Army, and is there are bouth officer and sergeants there? And does CSA sergeant same as in British Army (armed with rifle and have 3 stropes on sleeev)

Virtually every army in the world has sergeants. The CSA would had them and they had three stripes - usually in "branch of service" colour. IE blue - infantry, yellow - cavalry, red - artillery

For example the British army's current rank structure is:

Private/Trooper/Sapper/Gunner etc - ordinary soldier. Does what he/she is told!

Junior NCOs:
Lance Corporal -one chevron (stripe) on right sleeve. Second in command (2ic) of a section of approx 8-10 men.

Corporal - two chevrons. Commands a section.

Senior NCOs:
Sergeant - three stripes. Can be platoon/troop 2ic, but is more often given another semi-independant task, such as a troop recce Sgt in the Royal Engineers.

Colour/Staff Sergeant - platoon/troop 2ic.

Warrant Officers:
WO2 can be a Company/Squadron Sergeant Major, or have a technical or logistical (stores etc) role ( eg Squadron Quartermaster Sgt).

WO1 - The Regimental Sergeant Major. Makes tough battle-hardened soldiers break down and cry with just a glance. Also a higher rank tech/logistic - RQMS etc.

Officers:

2nd Lieutenant - fresh out of Sandhurst, gets ordered around by Sergants and above and laughed at by the lower ranks.

1st Lt - Troop/Platoon commander.

Captain- can be Troop cmdr, or more often Company/Squadron 2ic. Can have a more technical role and is the rank that WO1 attains if promatred to an officer.

Major - Tp/Sqn OC (Officer Commanding). Can also be a Quartermaster, if promoted "through the ranks".

Lt Colonel - Regimental CO ( Commanding Officer)

Colonel - we are now into "staff" ranks and these tend to have varied roles and responsibilities (ie I'm not sure exactly what they do)

We then go into the "General Officer" ranks:

Brigadier, Major General, Lieutant General, General.

We haven't had Field Marshals for quite some time, but they were fairly common up to and including WW2.

Most armies have broadly similar structure, with occasionally more grades at sergeant and different names and responsibilities, but you are not far off with the British example.

Hope that helps with organising your TSATF army  :)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 10:27:40 PM »
Very good work!!!!

Fjodin, you are now "in" with the TSATF "club".  Congratulations, and good gaming!  Spread the word, and the games!