Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:20:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691142
  • Total Topics: 118376
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Portugal in WW1  (Read 10483 times)

Offline Hywel Dda

• Assistant
Re: Portugal in WW1
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 09:48:55 PM »
I served out in Mozambique working for the Govt there and we made a point of visiting the CW War Graves Commission cemeteries there to pay our respects to some people from my homeland who lie buried a long way from home - very moving experience - and there were of course graves for the Portuguese troops too relating to when Von Lettow Vorbeck crossed the Rovuma river into what is today nothern Mozambique. I was also very interested the first time I visited Portugal to see the war memorials with the cast bronze statues very similar to what we have back in the UK

former user

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 10:11:46 PM »
Fair enough but generally speaking I think its fair to to say that invading Belgium is a pretty good starter for 10 in terms of actually starting a shooting war - and it was not me who posted what is a pretty political statement "I'm not one of those to declare germany guilty of the great war, quiet the opposite" in the first place after all, with all due respect to Poliorketes

I was not pointing at anyone in particular, just asking to relax and see the political context of the time.
my post was only incidentally following Yours  :)
So please, let us not escalate here, but blame the illuminati and think of the victims of all sides in a war that all thought would win and in fact everyone lost.
I must say that in retrospective I very much prefer the theory of the ruling class of all nations who started a counterrevolutionary diversion in order to preserve their power.

So, these fluted helmets are pretty cool and seem an improvement of the "Tommy" style methinks.
How comes it remained in Portugal and did not spread?

Offline Hywel Dda

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 10:23:50 PM »
Ospreys WW1 Trench Warfare (2) 1916-18 has a nice pic of Portuguese trench mortar team

useful link on the helmet topic
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=99337

the link within this to a viriatus website is a dead end though - but the helmet one is nice
http://www.cascoscoleccion.com/portugal/por16.htm

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
    • Kingscarbine Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 12:36:01 PM »
Hello,

Two years ago (if my memory doesn't betray me) there was a La Lys game going on, I really don't know who were the guys playing it, and unfortunately I had some tourney games to play and could not watch this game with proper attention, but here are some pics that I've found in the internet. If I'm not mistaken the miniatures are from Renegade, most of them at least
http://www.ambushalleygames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1507

Holly Mother! I was one of the playtesters along with Faustnik, Pargana, Artur, Victor Hugo and someone else (?). Took some photos but don't know where they are now. The figures and terrain are from Victor Hugo's collection.

I may write a "Mud & Blood" article for the TFL Summer Special...

Cheers

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
    • Kingscarbine Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 02:33:08 PM »