Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:06:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690985
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: the CHASM (from the Valley of Isk)  (Read 1691 times)

Offline dalanshin

• Assistant
  • Valley of Isk Miniatures
the CHASM (from the Valley of Isk)
« on: May 15, 2010, 02:20:41 PM »
Greetings,

Pulp seems a proper place for these:

Nevermind the Beastmen and Wood Elf models, I think that the Chasm pieces are obviously much better suited to Indiana Jonesishness or King Kongishness myself, just did not have models on hand to snap pics with.  The client I made these for has all of the pulpy models and even a rope bridge, so I hope to take more pics with that stuff soon.

I posted pics and some how to bits thoughout this past week, if you like I am happy to copy / paste that content here shortly for those who can't be bothered to visit the blog :)

My observations and techniques on building rock terrain are posted here:
http://valleyofisk.blogspot.com/2010/05/making-rock.html

Questions, comments and suggestions on new stuff to try are always welcome! 

Thanks
-Niko

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: the CHASM (from the Valley of Isk)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:05:55 AM »
I have to make some of this.... :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:08:29 AM »
Very cool set of big cliffs!

Please do post more step by step stuff, WiPs always encourage people to do their own versions.

Offline tima113

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »
I really like the cliffs and your tips on construction.

Would vertical orientation of the foam work well in an attempt to avoid the layer effect? Thinking the seams would be confined to the vertical and could be better disguised. Even so, in nature cliffs typically display layers anyway so any layer effect is easily explained.

Offline dalanshin

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »
Hello,

Yes, vertical facing would definitely help.

I had some difficulty getting a flat cut on the side edged and bottom end, and thought it was not going to be flush when gluing to the MDF base, so I opted for the horizontal layers.  The obvious problem there is the warpage that naturally occurs with this stuff, which causes the gaps and seems.  i have since figured out how to use my jigsaw to make relatively accurate 90 degree cuts in 2" foam, so that should not be a problem next time around.

When I get around to making more of these I will opt for vertical pieces or finding a supplier for larger solid eps foam blocks (I found a few but the cost is way too high).

I would love to offer more step by step wip shots, but often find myself pressed for time in the production line.  At some point in the future I plan to be in a position to publish some good recources and recreate many of my past projects, possibly with a photographer on hand to help with the documentation.  Hopefully I'll get to that point soon!  It would be a very fun and rewarding project to make.  The main challenge with doing that kind of stuff is just time and money.  Once those things are aligned, great things always happen.

Much of what you learn as a terrain maker / model maker comes from techniques developed by your predecessors and peers.  There are sometimes moments when you come up with something new, and it's great to be able to share those ideas with people who are excited about them.  That is one of the reasons I post up my stuff here and there!