Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:53:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Aliens" Powerloader Comparison Shot  (Read 9521 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
"Aliens" Powerloader Comparison Shot
« on: May 19, 2010, 08:38:40 AM »

I derailed my own thread on Aliens reference material yesterday, so I started a new one for this.  I am going to repeat some of the things that I stated in the other thread.

I picked up an old Future Shock miniature from Prince August for use as an Aliens Powerloader.  I have been unable to find a suitable powerloader minature before now.  I was concerned that the Future Shock miniature would be a little bit dated looking in both style and scale.

This close up of the figure is from the Prince August website:

The shot below shows the model in comparison with some of the figures that I intend to use for my Aliens gaming.  Please excuse the terrible lighting.  I took the shot in the server room at work ;)  It should be sufficient for scale comparison purposes anyway.

L to R: Horrorclix Alien Queen, EM4, Future Shock Auto-Loader, Hasslefree Signee, Horrorclix Alien.  I was hoping to show one of the Gripping Beast/Woodbine Marines alongside them but they havent shown up in the post yet.  Boo.

This shot shows the Powerloader Pilot/Driver stuck to a base to show scale with the same figures.

Quote from: cheetor in the other thread
The whole thing is very cleanly cast and is very crisp.  The pilot is a slightly androgynous male with shades and a cigar.  It would be very easy to swap or resculpt into a female head and similarly easy to add boobage, should that be desired (I will be leaving it as is and painting it to look like colonial marine gear or else Spunkmeyers flight suit.

The Future Shock range is not in production these days and although Prince August has stocks of some of the codes, others have been removed from the range in recent months.  The staff member that I spoke to in Prince August warned me that the loader may not be available, but they obviously had at least one.  So the bottom line is that if you are interested in one, then get it sooner rather than later.

Quote from: Commander Vyper from the other thread
The old platform stacked heels trick would work well on this one to give it a bit more height, maybe worth looking at the shoulder joints too to widen out?

Definitely.  It should be easy to add the distinctive big ol' clodhopping feet as simple extensions to the existing ones. 

The shoulder joints will be marginally trickier, but should still work fine.  I plan to attach the loader arms with magnets, which should make that a little easier, but I will have to take a look at some reference to see what sort of bits and pieces I can add to the shoulder area that will keep it looking reasonably authentic.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:40:38 AM by cheetor »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: "Aliens" Powerloader Comparison Shot
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:47:07 AM »
Hmm, not bad. Not as cool looking as the actual power loader though, which is a shame.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:48:33 AM »
but I will have to take a look at some reference to see what sort of bits and pieces I can add to the shoulder area that will keep it looking reasonably authentic.

Yes I know I owe you some reference stuff  :D Sorry on the case
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 08:51:06 AM »
Prince August and Mithril may seem a bit plain when inspected in the bare metal but I know rom long experience that they paint up very nicely.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:08:06 AM »
Hmm, not bad. Not as cool looking as the actual power loader though, which is a shame.

It isnt as cool as the original cinema classic, thats for sure.  On the other hand I am pleased with how "nearly there" it is.  It was a gamble of a purchase as I feared that the figure may be completely unusable, but I was pleasantly surprised. 

Prince August and Mithril may seem a bit plain when inspected in the bare metal but I know rom long experience that they paint up very nicely.

As I mentioned earlier it really is a very clean cast and it has very crisp detail (like all of the Future Shock figures that I own now that you mention it), even if there may not actually be large amounts of detail.  As the 'loader is due to be painted almost entirely in a dirty industrial yellow, I have high hopes for the finished piece :)

Quote from: Commander Vyper
Yes I know I owe you some reference stuff   Sorry on the case

lol That wasnt intended to light a fire under you or anything, but if it has then no harm ;)

I have dug up some other reference stuff in the meantime so if its a hassle then dont worry about it :)

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 09:13:14 AM »
Hei Cheetor,

if money is not the problem, then just buy this:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ALIENS-LEADING-EDGE-POWERLOADER-COMPLETE-SET-/370321153093?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Action_Figures_e_Statiche&hash=item5638dc5c45

;)

And you will have 4 sentrieguns and the CAT!!! inclusive, what could you wish more lol

Greets

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 09:26:12 AM »

if money is not the problem, then just buy this:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/ALIENS-LEADING-EDGE-POWERLOADER-COMPLETE-SET-/370321153093?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Action_Figures_e_Statiche&hash=item5638dc5c45

;)

And you will have 4 sentrieguns and the CAT!!! inclusive, what could you wish more lol

lol

Unfortunatley, money is always an issue chez cheetor.  Regardless, I picked up four sentry gun miniatures from EM4 last year.  They are probably not as nice as the Leading edge ones but they cost ~£1 each.  I think that Antenoccis Workshop do some nice ones too (but it may not be them).

I already bought a Jones from MegaMinis...

I plan to mainly use these figures for gaming with Space Hulk (as well as a couple of other things).  There are specific scenarios based or rescuing a "C.A.T." in that as an obvious homage to Aliens, so I thought that I would include a miniature to represent Jones.  Plus I am a card-carrying "crazy cat person" anyway, so I dont need much of an excuse to buy things like that.

I was under the impression that the Leading Edge figures were a little on the small side, true 25mm or something around that. Am I wrong ?

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 09:43:32 AM »
Yes, you're right.
They are more to 25mm, so to small compared to the offer minis you will use.
Just found that cheap offer on ebay  lol

I never saw the LE Powerloader in flesh, so can not say if it will be in scale or not.

Oh, and about the Marines Technical Manual, just found that today,sorry:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Technical-Manual-CD-/330434149153

Maybe you'll be able to hunt that down.

Cheers

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 09:58:49 AM »
You can always find 1000s of picture of the power loader for free on google
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:01:18 AM by bandit86 »
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 10:38:49 AM »
I'll be interested to see how the Gripping Beast/Woodbine USCMC size up against the clix Aliens and the EM4 minis.

I think this is going to be a fantastic project to keep an eye one! :)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
I'll be interested to see how the Gripping Beast/Woodbine USCMC size up against the clix Aliens and the EM4 minis.

So am I.  That why I have been bringing my toys into work all week in the hope that the postman hands me a box of Gripping Beast goodies lol

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 11:26:58 AM »
So am I.  That why I have been bringing my toys into work all week in the hope that the postman hands me a box of Gripping Beast goodies lol

Well, at least that's what you tell yourself.

We all bring our toys to work, as we can't bear to be seperated from them...

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 05:11:16 PM »
The Prince August model is surprisingly good.

Fortunately for me, i've got two of the Leading Edge powerloaders though.

:D

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 06:58:23 PM »
Fortunately for me, i've got two of the Leading Edge powerloaders though.

Are they painted? If so, lets see 'em! ;)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 08:30:58 PM »
Are they painted? If so, lets see 'em! ;)

Yeah, show us!  A scale comparison shot with the Leading Edge figure(s) and some more current figures would be cool. 

I was under the impression that the Leading Edge stuff is 25mm, rather than 28.