Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:48:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Aliens" Powerloader Comparison Shot  (Read 9522 times)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: "Aliens" Powerloader Comparison Shot
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 04:19:51 PM »
Are they painted? If so, lets see 'em! ;)

One still in the packet, one is primed - will get a photo up when I get a minute.

Personally speaking, I don't have any issues with 25mm/28mm - the best marine figures IMHO are a combo of Hasslefree/Denizen, both of which are on the slight side.  Even against the larger copplestone marines, its not an issue, as the powerloader essentially means eye level is irrelevant.

8)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 08:33:01 AM »
will get a photo up when I get a minute.

That would be cool. I would love to see the official loader miniature in comparison with some more modern figures.

Personally speaking, I don't have any issues with 25mm/28mm - the best marine figures IMHO are a combo of Hasslefree/Denizen, both of which are on the slight side.

I am ok with quite a bit of variation in the sizes of my figures but I deal with it on a case by case basis.  I was wary that as the Leading Edge figures were manufactured ~20 years ago (I think) that scale creep may have rendered them very small looking. 

I am glad to hear that they fit in with current ranges.  I am less glad that I wont ever be getting my hands on any of course, but thems the breaks :)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 04:14:46 PM »
Comparison shot as promised.

Left to Right (Leading Edge Marine, Leading Edge Powerloader, Hasslefree adventurer, Denizen Marine)

Left the mesh off the loader, so you could see the crew figure properly - coins to balance up for the HF tab - guess I should have put the ruler on one as well....  ;D

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 07:58:22 PM »
I'll be interested to see how the Gripping Beast/Woodbine USCMC size up against the clix Aliens and the EM4 minis.

I think this is going to be a fantastic project to keep an eye one! :)

I've got some Woodbine marines and various EM4 figures. If no-one else posts any comparison pics in the meantime, I'll do some tomorrow. If I can find my Clix Aliens (a very long shot) I'll include them too.

I've got some Denizen figures from years ago and lovely as they are, I think they are just too small and "slight" to mix in with todays pumped-up 28s, even the Hasslefrees. OK to use as alien humanoids, but not as proper Humans  :(

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 11:56:27 AM »
The woodbine minis are nice, but not compatible with my first choice (hasslefree due to the pulse rifles) - bit bulkier, and chunky, but still lovely figures.

:)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 12:00:16 PM »
Grabbed some figures off the painting table.

From left to right as you look at it:

Copplestone - EM4 - Woodbine

Don't know where the Clix Aliens have got to  >:(

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
The woodbine minis are nice, but not compatible with my first choice (hasslefree due to the pulse rifles) - bit bulkier, and chunky, but still lovely figures.

:)

I think Hasslefree and Woodbine mix pretty well, especially considering the HF is a female:

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 01:42:26 PM »
maybe i'll take another look at them -must admit when i saw them in the lead, I had a different HF figure as a comparison.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 02:39:31 PM »
maybe i'll take another look at them -must admit when i saw them in the lead, I had a different HF figure as a comparison.

They can vary in size. These newer "marine" figures appear to be a bit larger than some of the other adventurers. Military selection processes?
I think Kev likes to sculpt figures using "normal" proportions and ranges of height/build etc, rather than having each figure out of the same clone tank. That's one of the reasons I love his stuff so much - you can get skinny little old men or big fat baseball bat wielding youths, which helps to add more character to skirmish gaming :D

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 05:42:58 PM »

Thanks to both Akula and Gluteus Maximus for the really useful photos.

I am particularly glad to note that the Woodbine/Gripping Beast figures scale well with Hasslefree and EM4 and to a lesser extent the Copplestone guys.  My Gripping Beast order hasnt arrived yet and the difference in sculpting style had me worried that they might look substantially "different".  They look well within parameters to me judging by that photo :)

They can vary in size...<snip>...you can get skinny little old men or big fat baseball bat wielding youths, which helps to add more character to skirmish gaming :D

I subscribe to this theory 100%.  A bit of size variation is quite acceptable on my table, sometimes even desirable.