Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:16:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dreams In The Witch House...  (Read 9884 times)

Offline ZenWired

• Librarian
    • A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
Re: Dreams In The Witch House...
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 04:04:45 PM »
Bravo! PushStudios I haven't examined your stats closely but I must say, I like the overall feel of your Witch draft.  Especially the Familiar link and nomination.

Ditto! I can't wait to try out these rules.  :D
My RPG blog: A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
My miniatures gaming blog: A Hard Won Thing

"You fool, Warren is DEAD!"

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »
I'll try and put up a rough draft of the Witch and familiar(s) later today...gotta take the wife for a walk in the woods first...

Some great ideas folks! Keep those spells comin'!

Offline PushStudios

• Assistant
    • Push the Red Button Studios
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 06:54:02 PM »
Thanks for the compliments everyone, I appreciate them.

I'm trying to think of individual skills for each Familiar to make them more then just a flavour change.

For instance the Murder of Crows, if in base-to-base contact with the Witch at the start of the turn could spend one Action to Surround her, and another to move her it's full Movement.

I'm stuck on the others though.

I feel like in the story Brown Jenkin was such as murderous little psychopath he should have some sort of Sneak Attack, like if the Witch is locked in combat and Brown Jenkin charges the Model she is fighting, he treats the Model as if it were Face Down already, causing an automatic Major Wound. It fits the story, he was the one who killed both the baby and Gilman, but I fear it makes for a ridiculously strong ability.

jnr, I like your Curse ideas but 10" seems far too short, I don't want to get an Alert shot to the face every time I want to cast a Spell. 12" seems a bit fairer, except for maybe Silence, because that is an awesome ability but potentially devastating if you take away the Characters' Command skill and the Threshold player doesn't have any other others with it.

Thought up another one that might be just a bit too mean;

From Hell's Heart, I Stab at Thee...
If successfully cast the Witch is surrounded by a swirling maelstrom of Nightmares, she causes Fear for the rest of the game. In addition, if she is removed from the board the Model that took her final Wound must roll a D6 as the Nightmares attempt to invade their mind, on 1-3 they suffer an Insanity Test as if they had failed a Resolve check, on a 4-6 the Nightmares take up residence in their mind and you must add 'Gut Churning Nightmares' to their Majory Injury chart. 'Gut Churning Nightmares' increases an Agent's Resolve characteristic by 1 (e.i. 4+ becomes 5+) as the Nightmares prevent the Agent from ever getting another full nights sleep again, thus weakening their resolve to fight again.

Since Civilians can't have Major Injuries I'm thinking they go crazy instead and the Lurker player gains a Cultist with the exact same stats as the civilian for 0BP next game.

If the Witch fails her Resolve check to cast FHHISaT then she automatically is placed Face Down as if she had failed an Insanity Test and received Catatonia as a result.

What do you guys think, too brutal? Or just brutal enough?

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »
I found these miniatures, they  may make a witch but they are in fact ghosts, I have orded one if I don't use as a witch then ill use it as a ghost.
http://mannequinminiatures.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26

Familiars
UK based  Familiars http://blackcatbases.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=437_438
UK based Familiars http://www.heresyminiatures.com/demons_main.htm
UK based Witches familiars and scarecrows  http://www.rapierminiatures.co.uk/page/Range/28mm_Fantasy.html#Witches
German based Bats http://shop.masq-mini.de/product_info.php?info=p92_2011-Bat-swarm--custom-.html&XTCsid=a8bfb7bafb51edfb32bb8c19c7f9adcd
UK Based Hag Druid http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/hag-druid-163-p.asp
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:32:26 AM by jnr »

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 03:07:18 PM »
I like this witch from Taban Minis...
http://shop.taban-miniatures.com/popup_add_image.php?pID=276

Yea...  A Cerwin sorcerer would be cool.
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 12:33:01 AM »
Witch – 7BP
M   Dex.   Con.   A   W   Res.   Skills
3   5+   4   1   1   4+   Command*
Weapons: Unarmed
Special: Human, Hideous
Sorceress: The Witch begins the game with 3 spells, rolled randomly from the Witches Spell Table. Doubles may be kept or re-rolled as the Lurker player wishes. Up to 3 more additional spells may be purchased randomly from the Witches Spell Table for +2BP (Build Points) each.
Devils Daughter: The Witch has been party to vile dealings and dark rites. If the Resolve test for casting a spell is failed do not roll on the Insanity table. However, the spell is still lost if the test is failed.
*Dark Allegiance: The Witch has Command skill but can only ‘nominate’ Familiars. The Witch comes with 1 Familiar at no additional cost and may purchase up to 2 more at +2BP each.
Unholy Covenant: The Witch can communicate telepathically with her Familiars. If an Action is spent to establish the link a spell may be measured from the Familiars base (instead of the Witch). If spells are cast in this way they do not disrupt the Fair Beauty spell (if in effect).

Familiar – +2BP (witches only)
M   Dex.   Con.   A   W   Res.   Skills
4   4+   3   1   1   5+   Dodge
Weapons: Bite/Scratch (C.C.B.0, Dam. D+1)
Special: Daemon, Beast
Bond Of Servitude: Familiars can only be used in games where a Witch is present. If the Witch is ever removed from play so is the Familiar.
Tiny: The Familiar is a very small creature and as such suffers no modifiers to Movement due to terrain. In addition the Familiar receives a 6+ cover save against all Shooting attacks.

Witches Spell Table
Spell   D6
Nightmare Visions   1
Sundered From Time   2
Fair Beauty   3
Curse Of Silence   4
Shifting Angles   5
Mind Shadow   6

I'll post up the descriptions of the spells soonish...still working on the exact wording...all this is still up for debate of course...let me know what you think.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 01:45:56 AM »
Impressive...I really like what you've put together.

Honetly, I don't know if I would have been interested in a Witch Lurker until  I saw all the ideas pouring in.  Now what you have seems to be a rather interesting figure.   

What's more, my hat's off to you for asking for input and suggestions like you did.  I must admit, I really like some of the collaborative input that went into your working draft.

As your work on the next supplement continues, please don't hesitate to bounce ideas around with us.  Frankly, I really enjoyed reading ideas, and adding my two cents (of what little cents I have.)

"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 01:51:21 AM »
That does look impressive. I certainly like where this thread has gone.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 02:02:22 AM »
It's actually a smart sales technique too, when he and gives us what we want to see and adds our input to the development process.  Of course, most of us are gonna buy any new supplement he brings out, but that is doubly true when he uses some of our ideas.

We have fallen prey to his diabolical plans...

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 02:02:59 AM »
Dia-bolical!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 05:00:00 AM »
Mike can we start using a format like Command [Familiar] and then extend the types of creatures so that we can then do things like Command [Undead] and Command [Humanoid]?

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 07:34:10 AM »
That does look impressive. I certainly like where this thread has gone.
Me too. Thanks for inviting us to brainstorm on this Uncle Mike!
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline PushStudios

• Assistant
    • Push the Red Button Studios
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 07:51:55 AM »
This comes up a lot, the more Command options, I can't say much because I haven't asked Mike if I can say anything about the rules ideas I've seen but suffice to say in the next issue of Shocking Tales these issues will be partially addressed. I can think of at least one Model that will have a really unique (and awesome) Nomination system.

It's not as simple as just saying "here, you can give Command to any for X BP".

Why isn't it that simple? Because half the fun of Strange Aeons is how different the two sides are, and I know Mike wants to maintain that. Just slapping Command onto random Lurkers doesn't necessarily work from a Fluff/Theme perspective (really, your Night-Gaunt is giving Commands, how? It doesn't have a mouth...).

If it is such an issue for you then add a House Rule that you can give Command to any unit for +4BP, or do like I do and take the Cult Leader or High Priest profile, rename it whatever works for your scenario and give it a new Model. In one game I took the High Priest profile, renamed him Lich-Priest, used a Vampire Counts model from GW to represent him, and he led a couple Zombies a Ghoul and a Blasphemous Construct, and Fluff-wise or Theme-wise it made perfect sense.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 08:01:45 AM »
It's actually a smart sales technique too, when he and gives us what we want to see and adds our input to the development process.  Of course, most of us are gonna buy any new supplement he brings out, but that is doubly true when he uses some of our ideas.

We have fallen prey to his diabolical plans...

Speaking of w(h)i(t)ch... any supplements due soon?? Please, please, please!!!!  ;D

SE is one of my favourite games atm, and I'd like to keep it that way  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 08:54:15 AM »
In terms of free releases, I'll be assembling the second part of the Ghost rules for release shortly (probably next week).  Obviously a refined version of the Witch will be up in the near future as well.

As for published supplements, we haven't set a firm release date for Shocking Tales #2 yet.  Mike is still playtesting some of content, plus we need to finish up additional pieces/fluff/etc.  I expect to be doing the layout work over the summer though.  We're going for a bit of a new look here (at least for some portions), so it's not just a matter of plugging this one into the old template!  Can't say much more without letting various cats out of various bags.  Which is a really silly phrase, as I mainly have trouble keeping cats out of bags, boxes, bins...