Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 07:23:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 9 Pound RML Field Gun  (Read 6586 times)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
9 Pound RML Field Gun
« on: May 25, 2010, 08:46:29 AM »
I have 1  15mm scale 9 Pound RML Field Gun from Minifigs, but I dont want to colour it in blue-grey and use it for British Army (please dont ask why). My questions are:
1) What other countries used British 9 Pound RML Field Guns?
2) If only Great Britain, does indian service troops have different carriage colour?
Because Here is (I hope) historical colour of this gun:

3) If it was used only by brits and other british services have same colour, I can use it for Mahdi or other natives. But did anyone of them actually repainted this gun?

its 12pdr but with same colour as 9pdr

But on this page http://www.albany.org.au/guncol/9_pound_rml_field_gun%201.htm you can see this gun in khaki. Can you tell me why?

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: 9 Pound RML Field Gun
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:56:15 AM »
My guess for the khaki would be

a) it was still in service somewhere later and hence the more modern colour

b) it has been repainted by a numpty who thinks his museum piece should be that colour

Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:02:37 AM »
Thanx for replying. I think you maybe right.

But what with my other questions?
The reason I want to use it for other nation is because I recieved 1 gun from Barry S package, but If I want toorder another 9 lb gun from Miifig I can only by pack on 2, and I need only 2 guns for my brits not 3. So I need to find a new country for this gun :)

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 03:31:29 PM »
Just my opinion, but paint it the same as the others.  Then you can use it as a captured gun, OR press it into service as an additional British battery if ever needed.
-Tommy

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:35:10 PM »
Here is a picture of one in a different color patern used as a Naval Landing piece.
[/img]

more photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarge_schultz/2893542737/

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 12:37:30 AM »
I found a document "Gun Carriage and Limber Colors for the Colonial Wars Era.doc" on Colonial Wars Yahoo Group

Here are the text:

///////////////////

Gun Carriage and Limber Colors for the Colonial Wars Era
(as reported in past ColonialWars list messages over the past few years)

British gun carriages/limbers:  light blue-gray until the 2nd Boer War (1899-1902) when gun carriages and limbers began to be painted some shade of khaki or olive drab.

British naval brigade gun carriages:  Dark grey or black. You could prime with black & then dry brush a dark and/or medium grey along with steel.

French gun carriages/limbers:  bottle green (a deep green with olive tones).

Russian gun carriages/limbers:  apple green with unpainted steel or bronze barrels.

Japanese gun carriages/limbers:  light gray with unpainted steel barrels.

German/Prussian gun carriages/limbers:  medium blue-gray carriage with unpainted steel barrels.

Egyptian gun carriages/limbers:   Krupp guns would be medium blue-gray with steel barrels.  The Egyptians also used bronze La Hitte rifled guns from France so it would be reasonable to paint them French artillery green. They also had some small bronze mountain guns from France that would presumably be green as well. 

Mahdist gun carriages:  Left-over Napoleonic muzzle-loaders used by the Mahdists could be a weathered wood color which is a silvery grey.

Sikh Khalsa gun carriages/limbers:  watercolors of captured Sikh guns show medium green
carriages with lions painted on the cheek pieces. The lions are in natural
colors. There are also pictures of guns painted a light blue-grey with red metal
work and pictures of yellowish-tan carriages with dark brown trim work.
I presume these are to indicate natural wood like the carriage at Woolwich. 
The barrels appear to be bronze.

US Army gun carriages/limbers:  US gun carriages were a mustard to olive green color. Artillery units were issued yellow ochre paint and black paint and instructed to mix them together to achieve the desired shade;  the final color depended on how much black they used. The target shade was very close to modern olive drab.

US Navy gun carriages/limbers:  The steel carriage and barrel were painted black as per Navy regs of the time . The wood in the wheels were stained brown and then varnished . They didn't start painting everything grey in the Navy until the Span-Am war.

///////////////////

So I can use 2 9pdr from 2 gun pack wich I am going to buy for British Army and this 1 gun for Naval Brigade, with just repainting carriage into black colour.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 01:31:46 PM »

Well, the Stones did say "Paint it Black" ;D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/