Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:58:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Release from Front Rank  (Read 10221 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: New Release from Front Rank
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 06:59:03 PM »
Thanks for the topic.

CB, I'm sure you will have them looking splendid in all their finery.

Sedgemoor is one of my all time favourites. Caught up in the fanfare of "Two Men in a Trench" I was roped in for this period.  Small enough in troops to create on tabletop and loads of neat troops. I was happy to read that the range was being planned, however, when I saw the miniatures I was a little disappointed. Not that they don't look great, but it's the lack of movement except on the likes of the grenadiers that has me disappointed.

I look forward to the "Show & Tell."

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
Actually,Sedgemoor is a little trickier to represent in miniature than it appears. All the Royal regiments were at half strength and if we use the recognised numbers you end up with a hell of a lot of rebel types to keep the ratios in proportion. Of course, if you aren't too anal about it you can use available ECW types to fill in or at least ensure some of your rebels can do double duty. The ones I have will also be available as assorted militia types.

There is a good little miniatures campaign available for Sedgemoor on the Volley and Bayonet website. No need to use the rules but the campaign mechanics are worth using. If you want to expand the scenario you could always add the what if of the Earl of Argyll's rebellion breaking out simultaneously and with somewhat more luck.

A restoration Army is a fine thing to have Helen. Relatively simple to paint and yes small. You can field Charles IIentire army without breaking the bank. Wonderfully versatile too, fight with the French/ against the French. Fight Moors at Tangiers, Dutchmen in Flanders or at Chatham. Crush Scottish religious maniacs outside Glasgow. You can even send expeditions to North America to fight rebellious Americans. Wonderful and largely, in wargaming terms unsung army.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 01:46:07 PM »
Hi Received some of these today. They are simply fantastic figures, the best that Front Rank has ever produced in my opinion. Hope they do some rebels for Sedgemoor.  THE CID.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »
Actually,Sedgemoor is a little trickier to represent in miniature than it appears.

There is a good little miniatures campaign available for Sedgemoor on the Volley and Bayonet website. No need to use the rules but the campaign mechanics are worth using.

If you want to expand the scenario you could always add the what if of the Earl of Argyll's rebellion breaking out simultaneously and with somewhat more luck.

A restoration Army is a fine thing to have Helen.

Hi Carlos,

Thank you and for the tip, my aim is to have units on a single base like a vignette an expand this with Warlords Highlanders (Jacobites) for the battle of "Killiecrankie."

Richard Scollins illustrations and Two Men in a Trench are to blame. :-)

Helen

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 10:24:14 AM »
Had to paint one up as always been interested in this era. Not based or varnished yet but is a Foot Guard circa 1690.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 11:42:09 PM »
Just ordered a bunch of these guys and a  load of WSS too.I already have large SYW and Napoleonic armies.I think I'm going to use these guys for a Imagination, something I"ve always wanted to do but couldn't do that to my SYW and Napoleonic figs.I'll probably still paint them in the right colors for their nationalties but I got one unit of each type(all those different grenadier hats were too hard to resist) so it will be a rainbow army.
Now if I wouldn't have sold off my ECW/TYW army I could have covered most of the early horse and musket peroid :(
Pete

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 12:02:22 PM »
I bought a few that arrived on Saturday. 

They are simply fantastic figures, the best that Front Rank has ever produced in my opinion.

I think you may be right.  :)  So good they have moved to quite near the front of the painting queue.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 01:21:46 PM »
I think you may be right.  :)  So good they have moved to quite near the front of the painting queue.

Blimey... I'd better get on with mine in that case ;)

They might even appear in the same painting competition then...  lol

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 03:35:32 PM »
They might even appear in the same painting competition then...  lol

Doubt mine will be ready for the next one...and probably not the one after that either.  (But you never know.)  :)

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »
Just got some FR rebels these are the best yet. Great figures lots of various dress styles to work on.  THE CID.                 ;D

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 10:18:51 PM »
Just got some FR rebels these are the best yet. Great figures lots of various dress styles to work on.  THE CID.                 ;D

How do these compare sizewise to their Napoleonic figures?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 07:52:48 AM »
They would make some nice colonial troops for a swashbuckling pirate game.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95