Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:30:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690930
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Start of My Winter & Continuation War Project  (Read 43317 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Start of My Winter & Continuation War Project
« on: June 21, 2007, 05:45:47 AM »
Hi Folks, Now for something completely different. The Winter War has always held an interest for me. John Bruce from Force of Arms (FOA) has some lovely vehicles and AFVs for this period. Whilst I'm awaiting the Finns and Soviets from both Brigade Games and BAM I thought I'd show sofar my collection that I started a couple of years back:

Again my good friend Leroy Simpson has been busy. Crew are from BAM and I converted the commander in the BA A/C. My FOA Finnish Vickers are the next to be done including the Renault options.

God Bless

Helen[/img]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:52:46 PM by Helen Bachaus »
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 09:26:56 AM »
Very cool, Helen.
How are you set with litterature on the topic? I imagine there are a lot available up here which is not translated. I recently bought a very nice osprey-styled book on the topic from a tiny publishing company. I don't have it here but I can give you details when I get back from the Midsummer celebrations this weekend.

Anyway: many Soviet riveted tanks from that peroid are so weird they almost fall into the "Steam Punk" category.

H

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 09:38:29 AM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
Very cool, Helen.
How are you set with litterature on the topic? I imagine there are a lot available up here which is not translated. I recently bought a very nice osprey-styled book on the topic from a tiny publishing company. I don't have it here but I can give you details when I get back from the Midsummer celebrations this weekend.

Anyway: many Soviet riveted tanks from that peroid are so weird they almost fall into the "Steam Punk" category.

H

Hi H

Actually I've only a bio on Marshall Mannerheim by Stig Jagerskiold. Thats all the books I've. Everthing else has been through magazines and the website.

When I was in the Army I met a veteran of the war who started off armed with a knife and skis. He eventually became a fighter pilot for and against the Germans.

Would love to hear H what you have that may assist me in my research and collection.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 10:23:53 AM »
You bet. There were plenty of volunteers to Finland during the first war so there is a lot written on the topic. It is sort of our only military "claim to fame" during the war, if I may be so crass. The head-in-the-sand neutrality of Sweden during the war is still quite a national hot topic and is often refered to in current national security policies.

Incidentaly: my maternal grandfather was a volunteer but the war ended before he was shipped. We used to play clown in his snow camoflague suite when we were kids.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »
Hi H

BAM are releasing these Finns next week:

Four rifles - advancing, patrolling, standing firing, kneeling
firing.
> LMG/NCOs - Kneeling LMG, advancing firing LMG, two advancing NCOs
with SMGs
> command pack - officer, sniper and two molotov cocktail throwers
> HMG - ski mounted HMG and three crew.

I'm writing them a letter now to order some.  :)

The Finns are now on their web site for ordering.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 09:24:18 AM »
You bet. There were plenty of volunteers to Finland during the first war so there is a lot written on the topic. It is sort of our only military "claim to fame" during the war, if I may be so crass. The head-in-the-sand neutrality of Sweden during the war is still quite a national hot topic and is often refered to in current national security policies.

Incidentaly: my maternal grandfather was a volunteer but the war ended before he was shipped. We used to play clown in his snow camoflague suite when we were kids.

Thats real cool :) My Great grandfather was from Estonia - now I know I was drawn to this conflict for a reason that Icannot explain.  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 09:37:03 PM »
Helen, I bought, for the proverbial kiss and song, another copy of the book.

It is quite nice, and as far as I can tell very learned and thorough. Unfortunately for you it is in Swedish. It is still yours if you want it and I'd be happy to translate some key passages like the colorplates if you want.

It is a translation from a Russian publisher and since the blurb indicated that the author's work had been translated to English I did a little research on the web to see if the book in question could be found. I had no luck there, but found the original publisher:
http://www.front2000.ru/index_e.shtml
A gold mine for your project but it does seem like books being available in English is a bit of an exaggeration, doesn't it?

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 12:43:35 PM »
Really a good Project! The BAM Finns are gorgeous, I´m excited of the ski-troopers :love: A quick question: this Leroy Simpson..he´s only ONE man, or?!? :lol:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 12:59:31 PM »
Quote from: "Lt. Hazel"
A quick question: this Leroy Simpson..he´s only ONE man, or?!?

The legend is that he is a golem constructed out of the corpses of dead miniature painters and whose only purpose in his hollow un-life is to in robotic servitude crank out miniatures to his mistress.

SOME people claim this, but you certainly did not hear it from me...

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 02:12:35 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 02:28:46 PM »
The legend is that he is a golem constructed out of the corpses of dead miniature painters and whose only purpose in his hollow un-life is to crank out miniatures to his mistress with robotic servitude.

It is for precisely this reason that I need not fear death, and the Prof. has requested cremation.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 02:50:06 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
...and the Prof. has requested cremation.

We'll bring him back. You'll see. I know people.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 03:27:53 PM »
I knew there had to be a darker conspiracy behind the Nobel Prize for medicine!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 03:28:02 PM »
Helen, I bought, for the proverbial kiss and song, another copy of the book.

It is quite nice, and as far as I can tell very learned and thorough. Unfortunately for you it is in Swedish. It is still yours if you want it and I'd be happy to translate some key passages like the colorplates if you want.

It is a translation from a Russian publisher and since the blurb indicated that the author's work had been translated to English I did a little research on the web to see if the book in question could be found. I had no luck there, but found the original publisher:
http://www.front2000.ru/index_e.shtml
A gold mine for your project but it does seem like books being available in English is a bit of an exaggeration, doesn't it?

Hi H, Thankyou I'd be very interested and I'm humbled and very greatful you have gone to lengths to assist in my project.

Please let me know how to facilitate such exchange of the above. Yes finding books is very hard in English, but I'll prevail :)

Thanks again H. :)

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....