Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:50:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gun Boat Rules  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Gun Boat Rules
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:36:22 AM »
Hi,

Pls. discuss Gun Boat Rules and ideas here.
Thank you !
, ,

former user

Re: Gun Boat Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »
Hi

we had a gunboat in a T&T game, and there was a target template with sections for the entire boat, and hull points for the more stable parts of the ship, with specific damage results. Worked pretty well, but I trhought it too cpmplicated for my trains and simplified it a bit.
I made this template after a sketch a pal made for the game, it is not yet finished

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 08:19:53 PM »
I'd go with groups of crew, each activated separately and with their own statistics. Like in the tank game we had a while back, where there were gunners, an engineer, a driver and a commander. For ships, gun crews, an engineer team and a command section would be good, I think.

Crew can be allowed to move around, so if a gun crew is killed, the engineers might take over (shooting at -1 or -2, since they are not a trained gun crew), but can of course not care for the machines at the same time.

former user's template is a good approach for tracking damage, although I'd go for a top-down view.
Resin buildings, scenery and other useful stuff: www.pardulon-models.com

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 08:15:41 AM »
I'd go with groups of crew, each activated separately and with their own statistics. Like in the tank game we had a while back, where there were gunners, an engineer, a driver and a commander. For ships, gun crews, an engineer team and a command section would be good, I think.

Crew can be allowed to move around, so if a gun crew is killed, the engineers might take over (shooting at -1 or -2, since they are not a trained gun crew), but can of course not care for the machines at the same time.

former user's template is a good approach for tracking damage, although I'd go for a top-down view.

That's a similar system to the one used in the GASLIGHT rules for larger vehicles etc and works well in that context.
I like the idea of replacing lost gunners with engineers and then that causing a decrease in the efficiency of the shooting. Maybe also increase the chances of a mechanical failure if the engineering crew is used as gun replacements?

former user

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 09:36:32 AM »
the gun crews were treated similar to vehicle crews complete with weapon, and the hull points loss corresponded with mechanical failure that could be repaired by an engineer, according to T&T hero capabilities.
sadly the engineer also had the flaw to be a drunkard  :D

in the end, two field guns manned by african natives managed to damage the engine and steering system with the result that the gunboat drifted away offtable with the stream.

the point is simply to balance the boat armament with artillery on the other side.

even if using the post 1930 vehicle expansion everything is quite vulnerable

former user

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 09:51:54 AM »
maybe You should do a gunboat first and then finish You 4 sailing ships?  ;)

former user

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 10:02:28 AM »
pics?   :D

play a game, what are You waiting for?

currently, I am preparing a game for our THS team for august, that will feature all available gunboats and ships and will be set in a harbour.

all this will be a scenery for a massed skirmish game