Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:03:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I am not dead wood  (Read 3058 times)

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
I am not dead wood
« on: May 28, 2010, 02:21:58 PM »
Hello,

I have lurked on this forum for a while now, checking out people's painted miniatures (Future War stuff, mostly) and terrain.   A little over a week ago I signed up for the forum.  I am not sure why; I didn't have anything to post.  I suppose I had likely wanted to use the search, or see more posts by a particular user.  I cannot recall.  But anyway, today I was reading the forum rules, and realized if I didn't post within 4 weeks I would be deleted as dead wood.  So I wanted to avoid that.

I am a Canadian closing in on 31 years of age, married with two sons (12 and 2).   My intro into 'wargaming' came when my oldest son wanted the game Heroscape.   It comes with prepainted miniatures and plastic hexagonal terrain.  Its a great game, probably my favorite.  Heroscape lead to other games however, and other interests.  It created a desire in me to paint miniatures.  I am not good at it, and have very limited experience.  (My only real project thus far has been painting Games Workshop's 3rd edition of Space Hulk).

I don't have a ton of expendable funds for this hobby (and who really does, now adays).  But I pick up miniatures when I can, mostly second hand.   Same goes with paints.  I cant invest in a large array of paints at once, but I pick up a colour here and there when I have some change, and have enough at home to get by.     

My goal is to purchase and paint figures from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire line of miniatures from Dark Sword Miniatures http://darkswordminiatures.com/mainwebsite_html/grrm.htm.  But I am a long way away from tackling those just yet.  I want them to come out good, so I need to practice, practice, practice.

I also have interest in making terrain, but have done little enough of that.  I'd like to tackle some of the buildings that have been presented on here (matakishi has some I plan on attempting).  As for games that I play, I mostly pick up cheap or free rules that can be used with any miniatures.  Ganesha Games has proven a good source for that.

Consider me introduced.  Some day, I hope to actually post something worthwhile, maybe even a completed project that people enjoy looking upon.

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
Re: I am not dead wood
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 02:30:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  :)

Just like you, I buy a lot of my miniatures on second hand. Donīt forget to check out the "Bazar of Obscurities" here on the forum if you want to trade, buy or sell some lead.

On LAF you will find helpful and knowledgeable friends who will help you with everything from painting techniques to find that specific miniature you have been looking for.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:18:46 PM by Mattias »
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »
Hi there, yeah got to agree with you on Heroscape it's a great game. I bought the starter set for my oldest nephew a few years back and we still play it. The modular hex terrain is brilliant. Hope the mini painting goes well. :)

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »
Hello. ;)
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »

Welcome on LAF 8)

From where in Canada are you?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 07:41:57 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes.  I am from just outside of Halifax, in NS, Canada.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 07:58:30 PM »
Welcome aboard, my good man. We trust you'll enjoy your stay, even if it's longer than you intended, just please have some tea. Drink it.

Just like you, I buy a lot of my miniatures on second hand. Donīt forget to check out the "Bazar of Obscurities" here on the forum if you want to trade, buy or sell some lead.

On LAF you will find helpful and knowledgeable friends who will help you with everything from painting techniques to find that specific miniature you have been looking for.

All this with the highest certainty. Quite top stuff, and I must say that I've managed to acquire far more miniatures through the bazaar than I would ever have just buying from manufacturers.

(do you call them thrift shops?)

Either or, really, though ours never has anything really interesting. Can't say I know how it is over on that end though.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 12:22:15 PM »
Heisan,
Welcome to the LAF.

And if you like Heroscape then check out this site:
http://gidian-gelaende.de/

Some nice inspiration of what you can make out of the game.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 12:25:31 AM »
anyway you're  a Canuck? You hunt! lol

Nuh uhhn, I grow and pickle various vegetables and fry everything else. :)

Cool though. I've never beheld a copy of an osprey in my life, so you're a lucky man.