Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:37:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689823
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Arab or Ottoman VSF  (Read 14361 times)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
Arab or Ottoman VSF
« on: May 30, 2010, 12:00:13 AM »
What are they doing in the lands of the Prophet during your VSF campaigns?

In mine, the Turks are rather villainous, trying to use a combination of steam and sorcery to conquer the world, while the Arabs are more noble Moslems with a mission -somewhat like the Bedouin order in The Mummy- they are trying to keep the world from being destroyed by supernatural horror locked in desert tombs.

While lacking in steam tech, my Arabs have a certain amount of magic available, which can make them deadly opponents.

Curious how others have dealt with the Sons of the Desert in a VSF context.

PS Please note that, for me, VSF includes a lot of fantasy as well as SF, as this seems to have been popular among Victorians, and the distinctions were far less clear in those days.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:53:01 PM by gloriousbattle »

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Arab or Ottoman VSF
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 01:29:10 AM »
Someone did a conversion of the GW Empire Steam Tank for their VSF Turkish Army, very nice it was too.  Unfortunately my powers of Google are failing me tonight.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 02:52:57 AM »
The VSF army I'm building is based around the Arab nation, most noticeably Afghanistan, but encompassing the Bedouin culture as well.

The Army is led by El Laurence, a former British soldier turned traitor, trying to force the colonial services out of the Holy Land. He is aided by the wheelchair-bound American Muslim scientist and engineer, Professor Malcolm X who provides new Western technology for the Jihad.

El Laurence has also awoken the Immortal Prince Dastan from his slumber to defend his ancestral lands, Dastan wields the mythical Dagger of Time and is accompanied by a mysterious Vizier that can summon forth a host of ghostly ancient Persian warriors.

The army acts as an antagonist in our games, often supported by other downtrodden natives such a Zulus and Martians as El Laurence tries to galvanise these forces against the accursed British.

The terrosists will never win so long as I can make fun of them.  lol

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Società di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 07:21:40 AM »
Steampowered flying carpetmen?  Camelmounted missile contraptions?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 08:27:14 AM »
Steampowered flying carpetmen? 

Now that is one VSF model I'd love to see  lol

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 08:47:17 AM »
Steam Elephants maybe. Some ancient technology in a secret location in the dessert to reach other worlds.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

former user

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 10:13:40 AM »
not that far fetched if one considers that the araby invented kerosine in the middle ages as well as tarred roads and street lamps....

I pal made an ottoman steamtank based on some heroclix model, complet with prayer carpet tyed to the turret  :)

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 03:10:33 PM »
Oh dear, I'll have to get the photos of my Turkish VSF force up. I'm just in the last stages of getting it painted. So far it consists of:

Outpost Russo-Turkish Infantry and Command group
Ironclad Martians
Janissary bots (converted Mage Knight figs)
An armored steam car (Dark Eldar sled/steam engine hack)
Flying monkeys (as soon as I get them mounted)

I'm still working on the GW Empire steam tank (which should fit in nicely with little work).

Zeb

former user

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 04:18:58 PM »
please do

we want to see

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 05:33:12 PM »
The VSF army I'm building is based around the Arab nation, most noticeably Afghanistan, but encompassing the Bedouin culture as well ... a mysterious Vizier that can summon forth a host of ghostly ancient Persian warriors.

:o

That army is going to be fighting against itself and no mistake! An Afghan being called an Arab is bad enough, but to call a Persian an Arab is truly a heinous insult. You might as well have the Brits and the Russians in the same unit!  ;D

former user

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »
I think Germans and Austrians would be a more appropriate comparison :D ;) ;)

well, I guess many Muslims don't make a very fine distinction either.

remember the many european flags with a cross that were burned after the thing with the cartoons  :)

Oh, and btw - generally speaking, many near eastern armies used to field foreign fellow muslim mercenaries in the past and also today, so I don't think this would be a problem, especially in wargaming VSF terms

with Austrians and Germans on the other hand... ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 06:58:15 PM »
First off, neat ideas all!  Bravo gentlemen!

Janissary bots (converted Mage Knight figs)

Which mageknight figs did you use?  Even if you don't get the photos up right away, I'd love to know.

Thanks!

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 08:58:27 PM »
I have been working on an Ottoman army for VSF for a while now. I'll be trying to add a Lovecraftian aspect to the backstory. I've posted pictures of my elephant before. Here are some pictures of a couple of finished units and a work in progress vehicle.

A unit of Ottoman Regulars

A small band of Smoke Knights. Followers of the Vizier of Night, a mystical said to be the power behind the Imperial Sultan.

A carpet stretched over a frame of liftwood and propelled by a small Stirling engine.

The clockwork elephant with some of its crew aboard.

I'm caught up in a Pulp/Second American Civil War project currently and the Ottomans have been sidelined for a bit. I'm also planning on a contingent of Bashi Bazouk and some Romanin client state troops.

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 10:00:48 PM »
First off, neat ideas all!  Bravo gentlemen!

Which mageknight figs did you use?  Even if you don't get the photos up right away, I'd love to know.

Thanks!

Whirling Golems. Trimmed off half of the double blade and rigged a janissary-style hat with a bit of plastic straw, some paper and plasticard.

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 12:31:16 AM »
Amazing elephant!