Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:37:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Arab or Ottoman VSF  (Read 14380 times)

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Re: Arab or Ottoman VSF
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 01:13:24 AM »
Before I started the army I wrote myself a kind of "Mission Statement", basically saying that the Army would work as an antagonist force for GASLIGHT games and seeing as Richard Sharpe is traditionally unable to tell the difference between the the enemies of the Empire he has to fight, doing a "Greatest Hits" of the Middle East would be perfectly fine.

The army consists of:

El Laurence (Ironclad John Carter)
Prince Dastan (Helldorado Lancer)
Professor Malcolm X (Heroclix)
The Vizier (Helldorado Alchemist)

Peasant Militia (Eureka)
Mutawa (Ironclad Martians)
Jinn (Lord of the Rings Hadradi)

Bedouin Soundclash Cannon (Eureka)
Electric Camel Drum (Old GW, I think)

Plans include Gryro-carpets, more infantry, a cavalry unit, Automaton Suicide Bombers, a couple of steam-walkers and maybe a flying Dhow. Although that elephant is giving me some ideas...  lol

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 03:14:15 PM »
I have been working on an Ottoman army for VSF for a while now. I'll be trying to add a Lovecraftian aspect to the backstory. I've posted pictures of my elephant before. Here are some pictures of a couple of finished units and a work in progress vehicle.

Those are really great!  I especially love the elephant!

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »
Whirling Golems. Trimmed off half of the double blade and rigged a janissary-style hat with a bit of plastic straw, some paper and plasticard.

Sounds neat.  Hope to see the finished product soon!

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 03:18:52 PM »
Before I started the army I wrote myself a kind of "Mission Statement", basically saying that the Army would work as an antagonist force for GASLIGHT games and seeing as Richard Sharpe is traditionally unable to tell the difference between the the enemies of the Empire he has to fight, doing a "Greatest Hits" of the Middle East would be perfectly fine.

The army consists of:
<SNIP>

Also sounds very cool, hope to see photos of these as well.  I never guessed so much Ottoman VSF stuff was out there.

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 02:55:57 AM »
Well, I don't think I can compete with that fine elephant (although I've plans for one if I could find a cheap & hollow plastic one, but I did get the camera fixed. Here are some shots of my Turkish force as it currently stands.

The Regulars -- the flag-bearer in the command unit is still minus his flag:

Martian Bashi-Bazouks

Martian Electro-Rifles

A small contingent of Janissary Bots

And a Light Steam War Chariot

The Martian commander is still waiting to be painted, the flying monkeys (recon and couriers) haven't been mounted yet and the Heavy Steam-Propelled Cannon is still in progress.

Next project -- their opponents, the Graustark army and gendarmes with supporting appearances by the Royal Academy of Scientific Improvement.

Zeb

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 03:13:01 AM »
Well, I don't think I can compete with that fine elephant ...

I'd say you've taken a pretty good stab at it.  Bravo! 

I especially like the Janissary Bots with their head-dresses.  Well done indeed!  I'd like to copy that, if you don't mind, though my game is 15mm, so they will be giant Janissary Bots (don't ya love VSF?).  How did you do their hats?

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 03:25:48 AM »

@ Zebcook, from which manufacturer are your Turkish Regulars?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 03:52:26 AM »
I have played with an Aeronef background - The Knights of St John against the Ottoman Empire, The Cross and The Crescent.  The whole project is on hold at this moment, but I have lots of ideas and models ready to bring it back.  Some of the models are featured on my Blog, see;
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/2009/05/aeronef-new-project-part-three.html

Tony

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 05:32:31 AM »
Zebcook: Very nice. I really like the steam gun.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 07:58:17 AM »
The steam chariot is a lovely little model. I assume the front bit comes from a GW 40K Eldar thingy and the back looks like the boiler and smoke stack from "Stephenson's Rocket" loco or similar. Whatever, it fits in beautifully with the Martian/Ottoman theme  :)

Looking forward to the flying monkeys! Who in their right mind doesn't love flying monkeys?  lol

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 09:51:22 AM »
I have played with an Aeronef background - The Knights of St John against the Ottoman Empire, The Cross and The Crescent.

Very nice, and the Knights of Malta do make a good addition to any VSF game featuring their traditional enemies.  Love those flyers.  How big are they, roughly?  The only airships I have right now are the dirigible and the balloon from The Golden Compass.

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 12:17:56 PM »
gloriousbattle -- It turns out a cocktail straw is a perfect fit for the head of Whirling Golem fig. Stick length on top of each, make the headdress from tissue and glue and a bit of plasticard for ornamentation. A really simple conversion. Giant robot Janissaries will be impressive!

Gluteus Maximus -- Yeah, the steam chariot is an Eldar thingie glued to an old Airfix Stephenson's Rocket model. I highly recommend the model for all sorts of interesting kit bashing. They show up on Ebay fairly often.

Calimero -- The regulars are from Outpost. They make a nice line of Russo-Turkish war figs. Each pack comes as mixed head and kit so you get some nice variation out of the same basic pose.  Very nice figs -- crisp and with a lot of easy to paint detail. (Thank goodness, because I'm not the best at fine lines!)

And everyone's generous reaction is inspiring me to get back in the basement!

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 12:37:04 PM »
For Glorious Battle

How big are the Aeronef's?

A; Between 80mm and 120mm long, approx. 1/600th or 1/700th scale.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 02:42:22 PM »
A small contingent of Janissary Bots

One other thing.  I have a helluva time getting Mageknight figs off their bases without either cutting of the feet or breaking the legs.  How do you do it?

Again, thanks!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 03:11:04 PM »
One other thing.  I have a helluva time getting Mageknight figs off their bases without either cutting of the feet or breaking the legs.  How do you do it?

Again, thanks!

RE: Separating Clic-ies from bases
Just to poke my nose in, and that's never stopped me, I must say I've seldom had problems with the smaller figures. I tend to start a slice at an angle I imagine lets me 'shave' the feet from the base with a sharp craft knife, and then,  :o, I give a little twist and they generally pop off.

Now, I know using the brittle blade of craft knife to pry anything is right out, but I be bad. If suggesting to anyone else, I suppose a two step process of: begin the cut across both 'heels' of a two-legged figure, then switching something less likely to explosively shatter is what would be appropriate.

Doug