Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:43:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689749
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Arab or Ottoman VSF  (Read 14359 times)

former user

Re: Arab or Ottoman VSF
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 04:53:43 PM »
when cutting other figures, even lead (no Mageknight experience yet), I first cut around the intended cutting plane, deepening the cut while I go around. I use little force and after 2-3 turns the joint is weakened and I can pop them off

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 05:05:05 PM »
The Jannisary robots are brilliant  :-*

I think some TAG Jannissaries would work really well in an Ottoman VSF army. Even better with a bit of re-modelling of the weapons.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 05:24:47 PM »
I started my Armee of the Grande Turk, but it got sidelined as I got dragged into the Atlentis campaign with my Americans. in the meantime Dr De'Ath produced his Khoshindan army with Arab/Turk type troops of various quality levels and Mageknight 'whirling dervish' automatons.

When I get back to my Turks the core units will be Warrior/England Invaded Turkish Infantry (I love the mix of WW1 French type uniforms with turbaned helmets and armoured facemasks.

My Turks will make use of automata plus armoured vehicles using oil-fired steam engines (I have an Assyrian siege engine to convert into a heavy tank and would love a steam elephant if I can get the right model). An aeronef dhow will also be on the cards. Vehicle mointed weapons will include artillery and flamethrowers (since the Tutks have have plenty of oil to burn).

Other than that, there will be various historical inferior local troop units that I can slot in according to which corner of the Turkish empoire the army is fighting (e.g. fuzzy-wuzzies for Egypt/Sudan and Pathan type tribesmen for further East).
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 05:51:59 PM »
The Jannisary robots are brilliant  :-*

I think some TAG Jannissaries would work really well in an Ottoman VSF army. Even better with a bit of re-modelling of the weapons.

Yes, excellent idea - maybe some sort of new-fangled electric rifles modelled on the traditional look of the old muskets?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 05:54:12 PM »

Other than that, there will be various historical inferior local troop units that I can slot in according to which corner of the Turkish empoire the army is fighting (e.g. fuzzy-wuzzies for Egypt/Sudan and Pathan type tribesmen for further East).

Don't forget all the Greek and Balkan troops. There are some lovely colourful costumes you could introduce. Imagine Evzones with VSF weaponry  :o  8)  lol

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 09:06:09 PM »
Don't forget all the Greek and Balkan troops. There are some lovely colourful costumes you could introduce. Imagine Evzones with VSF weaponry  :o  8)  lol

Greeks and Turks in the same army?!? Good god man, VSF has it's limits!  ;)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 02:10:52 AM »
One other thing.  I have a helluva time getting Mageknight figs off their bases without either cutting of the feet or breaking the legs.  How do you do it?

Again, thanks!

I got lucky on that and picked up blanks (unpainted, unmounted) at the Cold Wars flea market.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 03:27:40 AM »
I have a deal of experience with separating Clix from their original bases, the easiest method is to first refrigerate them for an hour of so (I'm not kidding, it really helps), lean the chilled figure against a cutting board and slide a broad bladed knife under one foot (a Stanley works for me). Once the blade is partially under the foot, twist it and the model should pop right off.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 08:18:28 AM »
would love a steam elephant if I can get the right model
  Have you seen this one?  http://www.stonehouseminiatures.com/figuresvehicles/
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 08:06:17 PM »
Greeks and Turks in the same army?!? Good god man, VSF has it's limits!  ;)

lol

Fair point, but the Greeks did fight a war of independence in the early 19thC. If they hadn't freed themselves, they could very  easily have been forced to fight as subjects of the Ottoman army. That's my excuse, anyway  ;)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 12:47:14 AM »
lol
Fair point, but the Greeks did fight a war of independence in the early 19thC. If they hadn't freed themselves, they could very  easily have been forced to fight as subjects of the Ottoman army. That's my excuse, anyway  ;)
During the victorian era there was not compulsory military service in the Ottoman army for the christian population. Bulgarians, Greek Armenias etc did not serve in the army. And there was no distinguished army units with their territorial uniform/traditional dress. Few islanders pressed to serve by the navy but this practice was abandoned by the napoleonic era.   They had still to pay the taxation for their heads.
With the Neoturk revolution (but that is the edwardian period) proclaimed that all subjects of the Ottoman Empire were equal etc etc and started to draft and non muslims in the army, but still the practice to pay to get off the military service was often. I think the practice to draft christians and mainly greeks and armenians in the army (i.e. they were posted in penal/work units) started around or during the WW1) under the influence of the german advisors.
Historically there is no possibility to have evzone infantry alongwith turkish bashi-bouzouks or similar. Remember that the evzonic army uniform is based on the southern traditional dress which was included in the Independent greek state.

No major war was fought by the Ottoman Empire during VSF and so we cannot see a historic mobilisation of the whole population on favour of the Ottomans.
Based on the historic facts we can have a VSF Greek army (quite colourful I admit with blue clad infantry, green clad cavalry and white/colourful evzones, including Cretan gendarmerie with Italian carabinieri advisors, mounted gendarmerie -in olive green uniform and ancient greek style helmet- Samian gendarmerie in plain evzone blue uniform- and sailors with straw hats. Add white, skyblue, red, crimson, yellow plumes and voila)
Turkey by 1820 started  abandoning  the feudal system, dissolved the janissaries and started building the "new Army" i.e. a regular army alongwith western lines.

By the peak of the VSF era (around 1860 onwards) the army was regular, has reservists but retained a uniformed irregular branch the "bashi-bouzouks" (similar to ACW zouaves with green piping and turban), a VSF Ottoman Army would include arabs, kyrgyz cavalry, and every exotic asian unit you may imagine.

However VSF is fiction and why not mix and match whatever you like !

argsilverson

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2010, 02:43:45 AM »
...there was no distinguished army units with their territorial uniform/traditional dress.

IIUC, there were still traditional cavalry units in traditional dress, such as a few Tartars.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2010, 09:05:36 AM »
Argilsiverson, thanks very much for that reply. Very interesting and informative. I knew a little bit about the 19thC Ottomans but much more about them in the time of Napoleon's invasion of Egypt, when there was far more irregularity of uniforms etc. They were much more fun in the very early 19thC before they went all "European". My only real contact with them in the later 19thC had been the Russo-Turkish War in 1877-78 and even then I only had a basic knowledge. It's always good to learn stuff  :)

You are right though, as it's VSF, historical accuracy need not be too important. An alternative timeline, where the "Napoleonic" era Ottoman state continued, with added conscription of subject peoples could easily be devised - especially if the plan is to use them as the bad guys.

You then get to use VSF Janissaries, Mameluks and all the units you mentioned, which makes for a great army.

Hmmmm, I've got plenty of Zanzibaris for Irregulars, some Egyptian regular infantry and artillery. Even I can manage to paint the Ottoman flag. This might be a very nice project for the future ;)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »
Gluteus, then you can use the Perry's bashi-bouzouks , cuirassiers alongwith fezzed lancers (just a change from the compulsory czapkas).
My only reserve some of these units might have weaponry of an earlier era. imagine bow armed janissaries against british infantry!

Speaking of British: Since 1815 till 1862 the Seven Ionian Islands were a british protectorate. During the campaign against the french in Napoleonic era (1810) the british used 2 Greek Light Infantry "regiments" against the French. Their uniform was based in the greek traditional dress. These were disbanded by 1814 and never reformed. The british (as Ottomans) regarded greeks  as rebels and never again  they had any regular greek unit in their armies. So, in VSF, there is plenty of room to have a British army fielding greek regular units plus Noble cavalry and any other exotic unit you may imagine.
(Noble cavalry: In the seven islands the was a nobility class, since the Venetian time. Members of it usually carried the title of "conte" and were recorded in the "libro d' oro". This was the ruling class in the islands even in the times of the Septinsular Republic -1800-1807. Every island has its own nobility  -except Cerigo- which was very small. This system abolished by the republican French, but reintroduced during the British times.  So a local militia noble cavalry could be recruited. As it is  a fictitious units you may introduce whatever exotic and colourful uniform you like. Plus infantry in local dress. The reserve there is not any suitable figure available, but some Perry carlists, may fill the gap for the european dressed units)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »
Hmmmm, I've got plenty of Zanzibaris for Irregulars, some Egyptian regular infantry and artillery. Even I can manage to paint the Ottoman flag. This might be a very nice project for the future ;)

Allah Ackbar!  ;)