Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686463
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Basecoat color for denison smock?  (Read 3376 times)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
Basecoat color for denison smock?
« on: June 03, 2010, 03:42:26 PM »
I had read somewhere on this forum to use either middlestone or green ochre.  I used green ochre and it looks far too cartoon-yellow.

Anyone have some more suggestions?  My first para looks a bit silly.  Maybe washing and highlighting would help?  Or an entirely different color, something like GW's khaki-brown foundation paint whose name escapes me.

Also, anyone have a problem with using GW's Dark Flesh for the brown camouflage marks?

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
Re: Basecoat color for denison smock?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 04:37:23 PM »
I use VMC128 German cam orange ochre then VMC119 Green Ochre over the top, if you apply the green ochre directly over black it will be too bright. Also the yellowness will tone down once you apply the green and brown patches, it will also tone down due to the scale effect (ie colours losing their intensity at distance)
here's what it looks like on a 28mm and a 15mm

Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 04:56:17 PM »
Oooh, very nice!

At this point I have painted the green ochre directly over the black and have done the green and red-brown camouflage on my test figure hoping to see how it all comes together.

Is there a way to tone-down the ochre without repainting the whole smock?  What about a delvan mud wash?  Or a paint wash composed of the undercoat you suggest plus a little brown or green?

Great minis, by the way.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
Redzed, amazing!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 05:05:01 PM »

The colors are a little off due to the photo and the satin finish of the varnish but I also use Green Ochre as a base color for Denison Smock on my British Paras. Once the brown and green "patches" were painted I give the smock a drybrush of Green Ochre to tone down the colors.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=17279.msg208021;topicseen#top
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 05:07:18 PM »
a thinned Devlan Mud wash would work, try using a 4 parts water  to 1 part Devlan Mud though (the GW washes are very colour intense, so a 6:1 mix may be better applied twice)

EDIT- if PM me your e-mail address I have a 5 page PDF Para Painting Tutorial from Elheim 20mm Figures that is very good. (offer is open to anyone)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:12:03 PM by redzed »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 06:40:32 PM »
I have a genuine Denison smock which I can take a photo of if you like!  :)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 06:54:05 PM »
That's great, Captain, and I wouldn't dare say no, but there are tons of photos on the 'net.  I'm mostly interested in getting the paint colors right.  It's surprisingly subtle and challenging, at least for a color-moron like myself.

Offline Old Goat

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 07:39:48 AM »
I've been doing my Artizan Paras' using the FoW British paint set.  The Green Ochre does look far too light...until you plaster them in Devlan Mud and then they look like they've been in a basement for a couple of days...which is handy if you're planning any games based in or around Arnhem. ;)

I've got the osprey books and I think you'd probably be as well to use a light green.  From what I can tell there wasn't a huge amount of conformity to the Denisons anyway.

I tend to work based on the 'Spirit' of the look anyway.

Will attempt to post a pic or two of my growing mob of paras sometime soon...

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 04:08:02 PM »
I finally repainted the guy and used a basecoat of German camo beige for the smock (70.821).

For the camo colors I used GW's dark flesh with some kommando khaki mixed in for highlighting and GW's darkest foundation green color (I forget the name) with a 50/50 mix of that green with the next lighter green for highlighting.

This turned out okay to my tastes.  The camo is a bit reddish as opposed to the beige-brown that I see on a lot of examples but it works for me.

Thanks heaps for all your ideas, folks.  It helps a lot.

And please post photos!   :)