Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:57:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Restoring modified figures  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Pauln6

• Schoolboy
Restoring modified figures
« on: July 14, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »
I've just won some Citadel Star Trek TMP figures on Ebay.  I'll know more when I actually receive them but the Uhura figure looks like a modified Ilia figure - the original owner obviously didn't know that Ilia in uniform was very rare. 

Since I already have real Uhura figures I was wondering how hard it would be to re-convert the figure back.  Essentially I would just have to remove the paint and work out what has been used for the hair.  I've seen it mentioned that oven cleaner can help remove paint but given how rare the figure seems to be, I don't want to risk damaging it.

Any tips?

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: Restoring modified figures
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:33:48 PM »
If you can get your hands on Simple Green, it is a concentrated cleaner that only removes paint without damaging the miniatures - metal or plastic. That's what I use. Then I get stuck into it with a plastic-bristled brush.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 03:26:25 PM »
Simple Green is certainly gentler than oven cleaner, so it's best to start with that, but oven cleaner will not harm a metal or plastic miniature. If the miniature is very old soft lead, you're likely to do more harm scrubbing it than soaking it, so the less scrubbing, the better.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 04:54:15 PM »
Where are you based. Can you get detol? It works well and doesn't damage metal figures anyway not sure about plastic

Offline Pauln6

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 07:00:29 PM »
Good tips.  I'm sure I can get Dettol or oven cleaner in Tescos.  These figures are from 1980 so I anticipate that the lead will be very soft.

I don't know what the afro is made of - presumably some kind of modelling putty - getting rid of that may well be a greater problem than the paint.  I'll be gutted if I ruin such a rare figure in the process.  It might just be easier to chop the head off altogether and plop on an Ilia head from the more common bath robe version - lol.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:16:37 PM by Pauln6 »

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:34:41 PM »
Probably milliput given the vintage. As such, I suggest giving Dettol a go as it should soften it enough to remove with a cocktail stick or similar.

Offline Zazel

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »
get BROWN dettol, safe on plastics....  it can get a bit messy... clean the paint off in the solution DONT use water, it will make a horrible sticky substance..
after a good scrub in dettol you can put them in warm very soapy water (fairy liquid).... if you make a mess for whatever reason in the sink etc.. a little scrub with washing up liquid will clean it off.. leave them out to dry, if theres still some paint on redip them..

I'm not too sure on time i tend to leave mine in over night, i have left plastic minis in for over a week with no signs of anything bad, however it does weaken glue joins.
Dettol will stink out the kitchen/bathroom/garage but its a clinical smell so not too bad i'm sure the wife/gf/mother wont mind that ;)

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 11:29:13 PM »
Simple green will patina the metal. It won't hurt it, so far as I can tell, but it will stain/patina the surface a dark color for some reason.

90% Rubbing alcohol will also strip most paints if left to soak, even lacquers. Acetone will soften and lift epoxy putties (though you never want to use it with plastic or resin, only metal).
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.