Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:24:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ACW2 - Jefferson Free State Militia  (Read 4229 times)

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
ACW2 - Jefferson Free State Militia
« on: June 07, 2010, 07:02:18 AM »
Howdy all,
I enjoyed gaming with the Kentucky boys at Kubla Con. I had a few ideas for California units. Here's the first one.

The Jefferson Free State Militia: In Real Life during the 1930s the northernmost California counties teamed with the southernmost Oregon counties in the "Jefferson Free State" secession movement. While a bit tongue in cheek, it was spurred by genuine anger at the State and Federal governments for the miserable condition of their basic infrastructure -- poor roads, sanitation, electricity and telephones that was hampering economic development and quality of life. These counties, heavily oriented on mining and timber industries were desperately trying to call attention to their plight and in 1941 "seceded" from Union to form the Free State of Jefferson...declaring they'd secede every Thursday until their needs were met. The counties declared Yreka as their capitol, and elected the John C Childs as their Governor -- their first State Assembly met in the Masonic Hall in Yreka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

In ACW2, or course, these counties secede to form the Free State of Jefferson. Governor Childs realized that eventually either the State governments of Oregon and California would challenge this, or the Fascist federals would in order to gain access to the mineral resources of the area. He immediately moved to raise the Jefferson Militia and built fortified roadblocks securing the few viable roads through the new State. Ingenious mechanics rigged up several armored trucks, while the State's limited heavy weapons and machine gun arsenal was obtained by seizing the Yreka Armory Building. Also seized from the Armory was a single Jeffery armored car.

Not sure what rules would be used, but a typical Jefferson State Militia Company would be comprised of three platoons of infantry at Militia quality, led by NCOs at a higher morale grade (WW1 vets). Only one platoon per company will have a BAR, and there is a Company support platoon with a Browning MG and a mortar. There would be more than the normal complement of snipers since many of these Mountain Boys hunt for their supper or for a living. The Jefferson Militia is led by Major Horace V. Ley (whom for the purposes of this game will not die of cancer during this period). Major Horace V. Ley is a WW1 combat veteran and hero. He fought with the US 115th Engineers in France and won some fame by assaulting and destroying a German machinegun nest by himself.  Given his background and experienced he has also formed the 1st Engineering Company with the State's best troops, trained in combat engineering techniques, home-made flamethrowers, grenades and dynamite guns.

The State of Jefferson has also moved to outfit some fishing boats as lightly armed patrol boats, but know that if the US Navy shows up they'll be hard pressed to stop a landing. Crescent City is being fortified (the only real landing spot on the coast) with bunkers and trenchlines, and the Free State is casting about to acquire some coastal artillery pieces.

While small, the Jefferson State Militia would be a tough nut to crack. They are allied with the Clampers ECV Militia.

Comments?
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: ACW2 - Jefferson Free State Militia
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 10:37:02 AM »
You could use some of the Empress minaters SCW "Dinamiteros" for some miners.
What are there uniforms going to be?  Are they just going to have yellow armbands with Xs on them?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 02:38:12 PM »
I think that for the average militia unit they'd be like you said, civilian clothes with armbands, but the Engineers would be in uniforms -- I think an aspect of a trench raider look to them would be cool. Any uniforms they have would have been seized at the Armory or home made.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:32:39 PM »
sounds good, I cant wait to see them.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 09:56:57 AM »
The double x makes for a simple vehicle marker.  It would look good on the improvised armored cars
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline Black Cavalier

• Scientist
  • Pro Rege et Regnum
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 09:24:02 PM »
Great ideas SB, which player were you in the Kubla game?  Having played the Kentuckians, you were on the Constitutionalist side?  Were you the guy that left early, or the one that stayed to the end.

We (Skrapwelder, Leadfool & I) were just talking last week about a Clamper militia at our ACW2 campaign planning meeting.  & I'd also thought about a Jefferson State force, but since our games are centered around Sacramento, Jefferson was a force too far.

Old Glory has actual dynamite guns in their Spanish America War range if you need any.  Alfrik just ordered some & can probably provide pictures if you want to see them.
Remember, remember, the Dalek December
With Paris in ruins and London in ember
In times of the future when fears are abating
Don’t try to forget them, the Daleks are waiting
Quietly planning and scheming and hating…

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 10:18:01 PM »
I was the guy running the Kentucky Regulars (Constitutionalists) that stayed to the end of the game. Wish I'd gotten control of that Schneider tank earlier! Interesting how cautious the Nationalists were, despite the fact they had two actual tanks, a mobile artillery piece and more men. They got fixated on taking La Grange instead of pushing through, and they lost tons of guys. They tried pushing that entire Silver Shirt unit into the bar and got wiped out to the man (yes, I did roll pretty hot, but I got to shoot 'em as they charged and then outnumbered them in hand to hand)! They also kept running guys up onto the roofs to shoot at us, and we'd brush 'em off with concentrated rifle and machinegun fire. If they'd moved up the tanks early we'd have been in real trouble.

The Clampers would be fun. I see them as being allies of pretty much anybody except the Reds and the Nationalists, and creating a sort of protective force that would welcome all comers. They historically have been pretty color blind as compared to other social groups. They could have some strong holds in the Gold Country, but have militia units form ad hoc elsewhere.

As for the forces from Jefferson, I'd think that they'd be interested in making allies and seeing that the Nationalists don't control California or Oregon. They also need heavy weapons and munitions, so Jefferson might be willing to send units outside of the fledgling state to shore up alliances and take deliveries of needed supplies and munitions. They may be able to get recognition from Canada and the Commonwealth, so perhaps some trade by sea would start up there. They also occupy the North-South highways out of California. But they may feel that its better to ensure that friends occupy Sacramento than foes.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 05:29:42 AM »
Guys,
This is 1934.  The north south highway was significant but not all that important.  The Notrh/South railroad, now that is important!  Especially if Utah/Deseret has cut off the East/West Union Pacific line.  The Northern Pacific line and the Sante Fe lines are the 2 remaining east west links. 
Goods shipped out of Sacramento in 1934 were about evenly divided between Ship and Rail.  Almost nothing was shipped by truck.  Trucks were to get the goods to the ship or train. 
Sacramento in 1934 as now was a major source of Almonds, canned peachs, canned tomatoes, and rice.  At that time Sacramento also shipped out Hops and gold. Now it is Pistacios and cavier.  Go figure. 

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 06:54:21 PM »
Good point! The State of Jefferson would be in position to allow or deny rail traffic through its territory. Would it start charging an access toll? How would the Federal Government react to this -- would they send in the troops to ensure they control that rail corridor? Seems like a tough proposition, so many places that the Jeffersonians could blow a trestle or dump rocks on the tracks. Would we see armored trains campaigning?

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 11:19:44 PM »
That's the same problem my new nation of desert faces with the same problem. Being a vital transit way. I was thinking fortified rail junctions/stations on the border and a few armored trains myself.   :)

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 12:26:28 AM »
As t the Kubla game:

" They also kept running guys up onto the roofs to shoot at us, and we'd brush 'em off with concentrated rifle and machinegun fire. If they'd moved up the tanks early we'd have been in real trouble."

In the open any squad drew approximately 5 to 7 MGs fire x 5 dice = they died. The 3 squads more of infantry we had did not offset an assault prospect so we tried to secure the portion of the town required first to then spring board across but the ACs ability to drive into the enemy infantry and hose them down with little to no return risk led to our failure to secure our first objective. Taking out one FTL tank took 8 turns of 2 shots to kill it. Our orders were to clear to the railroad and push off the opposite side. But thats a con game for you!
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 09:42:51 AM »
I think any state could get away with charging a modest tax/fee for transhipping of goods.  If the tax is low enough , it is not worth figthing over.  If the tax is excessive, then the tendancy will be to try to avoid it by going around or perhaps, fight through the territory.

The "Federal government" is not going to break any blockades.  There is no "Federal Government".  That is the whole point of the civil war. 

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 09:24:56 PM »
I thought most of the factions claim to be the legitimate Federal government. Some by virtue of the ballot box and others by the virtue of, umm, being virtuous?

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »

Cory,
Some factions claim to be the proper federal government, some factions claim to be loyal to the proper federal governemtn. Some factions are specifically breaking away from the federal government and taking this chaotic time as an oppurtunity to do that. 
My comment was that there is no single Federal government entity that the state of Jefferson has to fear.  If the transit tax they charge is not too great and otherwise they don't cause much trouble, most of the factions will focus on problems closer to home, like the commies in the back yard and the Facists in the front yard.