Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:24:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690722
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten  (Read 15688 times)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Re: Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 12:53:58 PM »

I think it would broaden the game system as a whole if it could be used to encompass Threshold style teams as well.  I 'm really intrigued by this multiple team and evil team development.
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 02:13:18 PM »
I think it would broaden the game system as a whole if it could be used to encompass Threshold style teams as well.  I 'm really intrigued by this multiple team and evil team development.

Yep i totally agree on that.

Become who you really are... [/i]

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 02:23:46 PM »
From a design standpoint this is very difficult...Threshold will be used as a sort of 'great equalizer'...if the point spread between the two cults is too wide the lower cult has several options...one option is to call in Threshold. This won't be a continuing list but built to the Cult Total much like how you build a Lurker list in Strange Aeons.

V.U.K. will be the same core rules of Strange Aeons...but played in a much different way. Expecting great things from this...at least a great time playing. Will be more set up for large league groups and Multi-player...

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 07:13:13 PM »
sounds fantastic, really like the sneaky 'caling in threshold' for when your puny cult is threatened by a bigger cult, very flavousome.

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »
From a design standpoint this is very difficult...Threshold will be used as a sort of 'great equalizer'...if the point spread between the two cults is too wide the lower cult has several options...one option is to call in Threshold.

Again not sure how else you are going to be doing this but what about

1) allowing one team to buy Plot Points
2) having a set of Evil Fates that the player can buy that then effect the opposing team. Cultists are effected by illness, guns misfire, spells miscast, that sort of thing. Like the event cards but perhaps not as powerful

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 10:32:07 PM »
Very exciting. Like the bigger scale of play and of back-story.
Uncle Mike, I can relate to your desire to not want to make it all things to all people.
Lets see what the first proof looks like before calling for a V.U.K. / S.A. splice.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 03:59:28 PM »
Pixelgeek,

1) Still unsure about Plot Points...most likely they will be purchasable at the start of game with RP...
2) Yup...more of this stuff than you would have believed possible. New Skills, Gear, Events, happenings and a swack of new scenarios...also, debating another card deck...

Mr. Peabody,

There will be no splice...not exactly. All the points will be the same as S.A. and many of the rules. At this time I would say with 95% accuracy that anything from S.A. could be used in V.U.K. but not visa versa...

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 04:05:50 PM »
Mr. Peabody,

There will be no splice...not exactly. All the points will be the same as S.A. and many of the rules. At this time I would say with 95% accuracy that anything from S.A. could be used in V.U.K. but not visa versa...

You know people are going to try and do it so they can play Threashold in it ;)  even if its not your intention its what people will try and work out.

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 04:26:23 PM »
As a comic reader, this comes to mind, what about an organization like Hydra? They seem more of a world conquering cult. (I know they seem to pay their troops, so I'm not sure if it would be considered a cult or not). The troops seem to have a more zealous need to follow the orders though. Their troops all seem to be human, but the goal is not so much Arcane knowledge so much as tech advancement (not saying they haven't dabbled in gaining any Arcane artifacts).

I could see Red Skull or Baron Strucker as your Magus, then a hand full of Hydra Agents as the Congregation.

Just a thought. I know not all people would play with this, but I like to have Supers pop in to most of my games (I think Dr. Strange, or Dr. Fate would encounter some of the Elder Gods at some point or another, and I know they have done a few Batman Elseworlds where he's encountered such horrors.)
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
I could see Red Skull or Baron Strucker as your Magus, then a hand full of Hydra Agents as the Congregation.

Oooh. I have the perfect miniature for that as well :-)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 05:13:06 PM »
In playtesting I'm using the Murch bad guy who looks kinda like 'The Spider'...Calling him 'Baron Skullface'...insane minds think alike... ;)

Offline mkcontra

• Student
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 01:17:28 AM »
Just wrote up some Skills for Conspiracy and Government Funding to do with just that.  :D

Grand.  Just thinking about it...I totally want to run a modern version similar to "Fringe" (current TV serial).  Massive Dynamic would make a fantastic corrupt business/gov cult. 

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 12:17:24 PM »
In playtesting I'm using the Murch bad guy who looks kinda like 'The Spider'...Calling him 'Baron Skullface'...insane minds think alike... ;)

Oh, you mean the Rogue Treshold Agent..?  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 03:48:07 AM »
Yup, love that fig!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 03:50:35 AM »
Here is a little bit of the 'back end' of VUK...If anyone wants to give it a go let me know your questions/concerns. Obviously this is only the basic framework...with no scenarios. Playing 'Fight' will give you an idea at least... :)

Scenarios
Pre-Game Sequence
Before a game of Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten can begin the players should check the cult BP total, check over the cult list for recent Injuries and Phobias and roll for Poor Health prior to set up. After this is done a scenario is all that is needed to play, there are two ways to generate a scenario. The first is simple: Both players roll 1D6, add them together and check the Basic Scenario Table.

Basic Scenario Table
Scenario   2D6
   3-4
   5-7
   8-9

The second requires the player to ‘spend’ Favor equal to the Requirements of the Favor Scenario he wishes to play. Any available Favor Scenario may be chosen but the same game may not be played twice in a row. Regardless of which Favor Scenario is chosen ‘spent’ Favor should be removed from the total on the Log Sheet.  Favor Scenarios can be found after the Basic Scenarios in this rulebook.

Post-Game Sequence
Once the game is over there are still some loose ends to be tied up. Who was injured? What was learned? And what was it all for? To keep it simple the Post-Game Sequence is always composed of the same steps.

-Major Injury Phase
-Skill Phase
-Favor Phase
- Cult Management Phase
-Re-Equipment Phase

Major Injury Phase
Cult life is hard; injury and madness are a way of life for the faithful. Any model removed from the table with a Major Injury must roll on the Major Injury Table for permanent effects. See Major Injuries in the Injuries section. Hostages may be rolled for at the end of this phase.

Skill Phase
You don’t have to be a hero to learn something. Any model that survived (was not removed from the table due to injury) may roll for the chance to gain a Skill. Players receive a dice for each uninjured model in the cult. Roll all dice, on a 6 a Skill has been learned, then assign the Skill(s) to any of the uninjured models. Skills add +1 BP (Base Point) to the models profile and a model may learn only one Skill per game.

Favor Phase
Gaining the favor of nebulous, ancient and utterly evil deities is difficult…but rewarding. Both players may roll one dice each. On a roll of 6 a point of Favor has been attained for some diabolical act that transpired in game.
The winning player gains a –1 bonus to this roll making his roll a 5 or better. Models may be ‘sacrificed’ and will add an additional –1 bonus for each model.

Cult Management Phase
Looking after the needs and wants of depraved madmen and monsters can take a bit of management. If the Magus survives the game without injury he generates 1D6 RP. Players receive a dice for each uninjured model in the cult (beside the Magus). Roll all dice, on a 4-6 a Resource Point has been generated. Once all available models have generated points check the Upkeep table to see what amount of RP must be paid to manage the cult.

Re-Equipment Phase
 Any available RP can now be saved or spent as the player wishes to re-equip his cult. It may be a good idea to bank a point or two to ensure your cult doesn’t have to make a Cult Unity Test.