Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:15:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ambush  (Read 10893 times)

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
Re: Ambush
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 10:18:57 AM »
I have some Deep Ones that I can paint and use as Cultists for the meantime. I agree that a swarm of nine guys should end Peabody's force but I am definitely going to suggest that as a house rule we restrict Ambush to only upgrades and not free skills.

I don't see an issue with that though i prefer myself that it was set with Requirement of Dex 4+ as it keeps it well away for a few games :D

Become who you really are... [/i]

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 11:50:16 AM »

I tend to not game like this, I usually build forces that I think are fun or thematic. Which also explains why I lose a lot.

I know the feelin.

Btw - in my SA games I build both lists, provide the minis, and usually let my opponent play Treshold, but I could tell him to play Lurkers, instead. I sometimes let the opponent chose the skill gained AFTER Treshold wins (as they have until now), but he doesn't know if he's going to play Treshold or lurkers next time. And Ambush haven't been used by any list, yet, as we alway clutter our tables with a LOT of terrain, as I imagine the foresty areas of New England would be, and hence the skill does not seem very useable compared to other ones.

And, it still holds true, that using your free skills on Ambush prevents you from beefing up the fighting abilities, and Resilience, which are, IMHO much more effective in the short run - especially if the Lurkers use Hideous creatures (and why wouldn't they).

I think the power of each skill has to do with styles of gaming, not so much the mechanics of the skill itself. If one side has a lot of Ambushers, don't rush at it across wide open spaces, but use 'terrain tunnelling' to get up close where it hurts the most, and outflanking to allow only one ambusher to use his skill. If your terrain does not allow this, you probably play with 'Warhammer-style' terrain as seen in many game stores, where terrain is more seen as an obstacle than a tactical feature. I would change that....

Furthermore, I think this game is constructed to be a fun way of unfolding the story of teams of investigators (much like CoC RPG), and not to be harshly competitive.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:01:30 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 03:54:40 PM »
f one side has a lot of Ambushers, don't rush at it across wide open spaces, but use 'terrain tunnelling' to get up close where it hurts the most, and outflanking to allow only one ambusher to use his skill.

Good advice but sometimes the scenario can make that less optimal. Retrieve the Artifacts is one good example. You need to rush the Threshold team to stop them from getting the artifacts so its usually a good idea to have a fair number of Lurkers as well as a model with Command.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 03:55:27 PM »
I don't see an issue with that though i prefer myself that it was set with Requirement of Dex 4+ as it keeps it well away for a few games :D

To be clear that would be my preference as well. If I run a Lurker list with a ton of minis I want it to be because I think it will be fun :-)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 04:09:17 PM »
Good advice but sometimes the scenario can make that less optimal. Retrieve the Artifacts is one good example. You need to rush the Threshold team to stop them from getting the artifacts so its usually a good idea to have a fair number of Lurkers as well as a model with Command.

I think, especially in that scenario the Treshold characters are going to have to spread thin to get to the artefacts before too many are carried off, so 'tunnelling' combined with close up attacks against lone models should be possible. But, yes, lurkers have to hurry, and you'll need at least one Leader and one Lieutenant. Then, again, the rules allow the Lurker player to build his list AFTER the scenario has been decided upon - and as you know the Treshold list from last time, you should have the possibility to tailor your horde - even within a theme.

I actually make up several lurker lists for each level of BP - if the scenario does not require more lurkers than Treshold models, the opponent is always in for a treat, because the more interesting lurkers can be used   ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 05:57:30 PM by Argonor »

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 05:56:03 PM »

And perhaps I am in the minority but if I play a game that uses a point system then I shouldn't have to custom build a list to fight an opponent based on his list.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the idea behind playing the Lurkers. 

The Lurker player gets the opportunity to tailor-makes their list to suit each and every Threshold list and Scenario that they play, every game can have a unique Lurker List.  This is one of my favorite aspects of Strange Aeons.

I have a similair dilemna to you in the fact that I also do not have that many models to use so I tend to use either proxy models (as others have mentioned) or try to equip what models I do have with as much kit as needed (tommy guns, dynamite, cleavers etc.) and also a few useful skills.
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 06:14:17 PM »
Unfortunately, this is exactly the idea behind playing the Lurkers. 

The Lurker player gets the opportunity to tailor-makes their list to suit each and every Threshold list and Scenario that they play, every game can have a unique Lurker List.  This is one of my favorite aspects of Strange Aeons.

As you mention, this is a lot easier once you have a wider range of figures. I'm building up my collection but its still in its infancy.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 06:26:24 PM »
As you mention, this is a lot easier once you have a wider range of figures. I'm building up my collection but its still in its infancy.
This is why I showed up to our last game with Gorillacrab's collection of minis (thanks buddy, you are a star!) so I could play Threshold. My lurkers currently consist of D&D ready paints & my ancient Grenadier CoC minis, most of which are only half painted. :'(
I already have a nice addition to the Lead-Mountain from Uncle Mike's, Artizan, Reaper and Blue Moon! Together with the Grenadier stuff I should be in good condition, eventually, for a variety of games.

Thomas
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 06:46:40 PM »
The Cultists are almost done and then the Deep Ones will get painted next and then I should have a suitable swarm for your Threshold team :-)

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 06:50:46 PM »
Makes game easer if you can represent what the miniature is equipped with but not necessary to play the game, but if you go that way then you may need to convert if you can, even a easy convert can be as simple as blue tack holding a rifle on a figure's back, or laying at his feet, as I did with one miniature I stuck a machet in the ground at his feet.
These are Artizan miniatures in the picture, far left give him a club made out of brass rod and green stuff, next to him I stuck a machet in the ground, far right made machet out of brass plate and put in his hand, all simple conversions, and some manufactures do make rifles and such to equipped your miniatures.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2010, 07:25:28 PM »
One thing I keep telling myself is that these are early days yet for our teams. We are still only about 17BP... Wait until we start hitting close to 30! :o

Heck, I haven't even had my first re-equip!

We will have a 'Promoted' team going eventually and start playing with the yummy Threshold special kit items; there is so much more to come!

Since it is important to keep track of the number of games played, I think it's worthwhile we make a point of letting each other's Threshold teams (or Lurker Masterminds if we want to continue in that route) get a similar number of games in.

TR

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2010, 07:32:20 PM »

I used the LAF as a great excuse to get a whole whack of Murch Cultists painted up for Strange Aeons ("The Council of Thirteen" in Wk 8 )

http://leadadventureforum.com/images/lpl/s04/r08/37_D@rth_J@ymZ_The_Council_of_Thirteen.jpg

and 5 Fishmen from Uncle Mike in Wk 3 ("The Brotherhood of Evil Tropical Fish")

http://leadadventureforum.com/images/lpl/s04/r03/37_D@rth_J@ymZ_SA_Brotherhood_of_Evil_Tropical_Fish.jpg

Even now, I'm painting up 12 assorted Cultists from the Strange Aeons line...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:35:22 PM by D@rth J@ymZ »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »
Are those statues from the Call of Cthulhu board game?

Excellent minis. I especially like the colours on the Fishmen's cloaks
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 08:50:12 PM by pixelgeek »

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2010, 09:23:53 PM »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2010, 09:24:43 PM »