Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:35:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My workbench  (Read 361023 times)

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
Re: My workbench
« Reply #345 on: October 15, 2012, 12:03:39 AM »

It's missing a few bits (like the lower shelves of the shelving unit on the left, which have boxes of spare sprues, or the windowsill, which has vehicles and walkers), but that's basically it. For all that it is a small area, it's still more than I've devoted to miniatures on a permanent basis before, and it does a lot for my productivity. Oh, there are also some cupboards on the other side of the room containing boxes of stuff that is not used often.

The folding card table is to be picked up and carried into the living room so I can hang out and watch a movie with my wife while painting.

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #346 on: October 15, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »
After having moved (back to) the Netherlands in june, I finally reached the point that I can work on my man cave instead of feeling to guilty about things that need to be done in the rest of the house, albeit there is still plenty to do...

Not only did I move house, but my girlfriend also moved in, so when looking for a house I needed one with some room for a serious man cave.

I claimed the attic as my domain and this weekend finally got arround to work on my storage space. only the back row of carton boxes is still filled to the brim with miniatures and there are a "few" in the storage section that is behind the wall...

"Off course" this is only part of the collection, but I'll be getting some billy cabinets from IKEA soon for storage of more models and my board game collection and still have to place my glass cabinet which shall hold a sampling of the painted miniatures.

Over here you can see where the temperary painting desk (a camping table) is located. In time a proper desk will be put into place, but in the meanwhile, this does the job. Paints and supplies are stored on the shelves to the right of the "desk" for easy access. The rest of the shelves will hold scenery, nicely stored in boxes to prevent too much dust getting on it. When the "real"desk arrives, I'mm move my PC up so I can watch movies/listen to music/search reference material while painting.

Last but not least, there is some room for a reasonable gaming table (1.50 by 3.00 meter). The idea is to put the billy cabinets with the board games behind them. I guess it didn't want to get into focus because it's a bit messy at the moment, but it should give an indication of where games will be played.

Posting this pictures motivates me even more to work on the room :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:01:21 AM by Braxandur »
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #347 on: October 15, 2012, 12:34:28 PM »
But you´ve denied us the best part  :'(... SHOW US THE CABINET!!!!!! ;D

All right, here you go:

And no more false pretending, this mess is how my workbench usually looks  :D:

\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline 15thpanzer

• Librarian
« Reply #348 on: October 18, 2012, 10:47:56 PM »
Have had a great time nosing around all your dens. Had to add my little piece of heaven to this thread.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #349 on: October 19, 2012, 01:29:43 AM »
Have had a great time nosing around all your dens. Had to add my little piece of heaven to this thread.

Ooo, a 1:24 Supermarine  :D I used to have one off them but I cannibalised the engine into a spaceship and got rid of the rest  lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #350 on: October 19, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »
 :-*

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #351 on: October 19, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »
My work area and storage

Its all in an old caravan  o_o

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #352 on: October 19, 2012, 06:33:59 PM »
Quendil, you're scaring me.

I have the same angle poise lamp the same paint racks and full of foundry paint!
I though you'd broken into my house to take pictures!!

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #353 on: October 19, 2012, 06:37:11 PM »
Quendil, you're scaring me.

I have the same angle poise lamp the same paint racks and full of foundry paint!
I though you'd broken into my house to take pictures!!

No not me. I have to move all that to Canada but the wife says I can't take the caravan I have to pack it up  ::)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #354 on: October 19, 2012, 10:00:57 PM »
Quendil, how many Mumaks are you planning to field?  lol
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #355 on: October 19, 2012, 10:06:36 PM »
Quendil, how many Mumaks are you planning to field?  lol

I need 3, so of course I have 3 GW ones, a mithril one and 2 elephants from the 80's used to make 2 based on an old wargaming magazine article. ooh and some avertine miniatures elephants as well  :D

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #356 on: October 19, 2012, 10:22:12 PM »
Right at the moment I would love ANY sort of workbench to paint on. My wood bench is covered with scrap iron undergoing repair, the tool bench is covered in tools and the saw bench is covered with a ruddy mirror frame I promised to rout for a friend! My usual painting area is undergoing decorating (and I can't make it go any faster!!!)

Gah, rant over. Sorry.Just a chance to paint would be nice....
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #357 on: October 20, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »
Could be worse - leastways those three benches will be fit for service again once they're cleaned and fixed.

We had to rent out my workshop/game room as another bedroom, so I don't have anything anymore!   :?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #358 on: October 28, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »
I haven't done any painting in months, and part of the reason was the crazed lack of organization on my fairly small painting bench.

I'm badly in need of some paint organizing racks, small shelves or similar to keep paint jars and similar crap from oozing all over the bench and getting in the way of actual painting. There's a great many very nice systems out there, in laser-cut wood, plastic, laser-cut acrylic and all sorts of other materials. They all cost more than I can afford or want to pay, though - I'd much rather put my gaming budget into figures, paints and scenery!

So I grabbed a shoebox lid, some other scrap card, and some tape, and set about making a functional cardboard mockup of a paint rack. Here it is at the back of my bench this evening:

There's a "foot" of scrap card at the back to keep it braced against the wall at the correct angle, and the whole thing is fairly solid. The only problem is, I'll need at least one more the same size to get the rest of my paints and inks up off the bench surface, but it's a start!

Eventually I'd like to use acrylic (which you can get cheap from a local plastics place, especially if you don't care what colour it is) to do a big rack/shelf unit that goes across the whole back of my painting bench, with loads of space for paints, inks, works-in-progress and tool storage. (the cutting mat is 12"x9", if you need a size reference...)

Offline Mahwell skel

• Librarian
« Reply #359 on: October 29, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »
I Like the way both 15th Panzer and Quendil have their cricket equipment handy in case of sudden Zombie attack.

Good thinking on the paint rack Wirelizard.