Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:19:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dutch Army for the Cold War  (Read 19524 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Dutch Army for the Cold War
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:55:06 PM »
42nd BLJ, 1st Company

My favorite of the lot:
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Dutch Army for the Cold War
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:20:40 PM »

Real nice 8)

Are they 20mm Liberation Miniatures?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:41:40 PM »
You are correct, they are, sadly.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:43:21 PM »

why sadly?

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:46:49 PM »
Cause he refuses to do business with me anymore so I'm having one hell of a time finding minis to expand my army (thank God for Elhiem though)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
Cause he refuses to do business with me anymore so I'm having one hell of a time finding minis to expand my army (thank God for Elhiem though)

Why would he refuse to do business with you?!

Really nice looking miniatures.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:17:07 PM »
Well, I have no idea really.

3 years back all was fine, but since 2 years he stopped responding to my emails (his spamfilter has been eating emails for the last 2-3 years, or so he claims, but I have sent orders using 4 various emailadresses and not a single one made it? Right....), faxes! or voicemails anymore, so I can't ask him. The last time I called him and I finally managed to get hold of his wife, she gave the phone to him and he just put the phone down with the line open. After 15 minutes or so I hung up, I could hear people going about their business but no one responded. Turned out I called at 19:00 UK time and he was upset about that as he was putting his kids so just left the line open.....instead of asking me to call back at a different time. I've never met someone as childish as mr Rolf Hedges, and to this day I can't figure out why he runs a shop at all if he finds dealing with customers so bothersome. (and as I mention that on fora as well when people ask where they can get the models I've painted I can assume I am blacklisted for giving negative comments - these days he has a notice about that on his website forbidding people to say negative things about the company or have orders cancelled without notice  o_o )

Sad story in all. Still manages to irk me though, and silently hoping he quits and sells off the moulds to a more customer friendly company. Anyway.

The next few groups will be a mix of Liberation, a steady increase of models from Elhiem and a few Platoon 20 as well, and I'm under a deadline so you should see them soon.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 02:15:31 PM »
(and as I mention that on fora as well when people ask where they can get the models I've painted I can assume I am blacklisted for giving negative comments - these days he has a notice about that on his website forbidding people to say negative things about the company or have orders cancelled without notice  o_o )

I'm amazed. And while I completely believe you, I went to the site just to see for my self:

THE RIGHT TO REFUSE ; UNDER THE TERMS OF THE SALE OF GOODS AND PROVISONS ACT WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE A SALE.
INTERNET FORUMS ; IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO DISCUSS THE AFFAIRS OF RH MODELS OR ANY OF OUR STAFF OR FAMILY MEMBERS THIS WILL BE TREATED AS A BREACH OF CONTRACT AND WE  RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL AND OR REFUSE ANY BUSINESS WITH YOU .

Wow.

OK, so that was weird and now I think we should just let it stand and return to your awesome painted 20mm stuff.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 09:24:51 AM »
Pretty cool (also just ignoring the whole 'notsocustomerfriendlymaybe' issue here ;)). One doesn't see much/many Dutch army stuff out there, so I am intrigued by them.

What unit is the 42nd BLJ? I did my service in the queen's name, but that was a lóóng time ago and I can't say I'm very versed in the whole designation thing. I'm assuming they're 1st Army Corps?

At least I recognise the FALs and MAG. The others are a Carl Gustav and an UZI, right? The colour looks a bit too drab, as I recall the uniforms being ever so slightly more green, but then, that can be the lighting/photo/my monitor.

Are there more units to with them? Do you have any vehicles too? I would be interested to do a squad of Dutch army in 28mm, to be used in near-future/alien invasion skirmishes (but I suppose other ranges could be used for that as well, now that all the weaponry is basically American (looking)).

Again; great work; I would like to see more... 8)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 10:25:42 AM »
42nd LBJ is the Limburgse Jagers. Your weapons choices are correct and yes, the colour looks a bit drab, but the pics came out a bit darker I'm afraid.

Additions will be tanks, with Leo1's for starters, next year I'll convert  Leo 1 V's and propably some 2's as well. A engineers section with a bridge laying section is in the works, 42nd artillery with 155mm M109A1's are in progress. And you will see a ton of YPR's soon in various versions.

Pity there is hardly anything in 28mm, I would gladly show you what is available and coming available in 20mm at the moment (The Patria has just been relased, as has our 120mm mortar, and troops and the new CV IFV are hot on their heels)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 12:03:20 PM »
42nd LBJ is the Limburgse Jagers.
Doh! I should have known that... I would probably paint up my old regiment; Menno van Coehoorn...

Additions will be tanks, with Leo1's for starters, next year I'll convert  Leo 1 V's and propably some 2's as well. A engineers section with a bridge laying section is in the works, 42nd artillery with 155mm M109A1's are in progress. And you will see a ton of YPR's soon in various versions.
Cool, sounds like you will have units coming from all over a Brigade. What period are you aiming at? With the YPRs, I'd say sometime in the late eighties, early nineties then (considering your choice of plain olive PSU's).

I was thinking about this and maybe this hypothetical unit of mine might be set sometime in the eighties, Reagan era, considering I was a kid then and the tail end of the Cold War was still quite palpable. Of course I'd be needing M113's then instead of YPR's... ;)

Pity there is hardly anything in 28mm, I would gladly show you what is available and coming available in 20mm at the moment (The Patria has just been relased, as has our 120mm mortar, and troops and the new CV IFV are hot on their heels)
I suppose Falklands Brits might be an option (same weapons and kit, just a slightly different helmet, which can be fixed easily, since the GI pot is quite ubiquitous in 28mm land).

Please show what else you've got; like I said, I'm intrigued now. I feel yet another 'rushed into, but shelved halfway through' project coming on... ;D

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 09:29:13 PM »
I'm aiming at 1985, with the YPR and the Leo 2 just getting deployed. It's abit of mixing and matching though as there isn't much available, and I still want to comission the YP-408 in 20mm someday for some earlier sceanarios (already managed to scrounge one AMX-13). Anyway, on with the rest.

CO of the 42nd Brigade

Liberation Miniatures Radio Operator, and I forgot who the officer is from, he's from a WW2 set with a another officer and a MP I believe?

(LARO in repainted colours, better green, not perfect, but better then the previous one)

Code

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 09:13:43 PM »
Next up, the Bandaid, or as we call it, de verbanddoos  :grin:  A YPR-GWT.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 09:13:07 PM »
First up, a supply marker that I cobbled up while watching paint dry. Trailer that comes with the Airfix M3 is a near perfect match (well, cheap anyway) for the Polynorm 1 tonne trailer we used tons for for ammunition, cargo and generator use.

And second, a YPR-TOW. We had camouflaged camo nets back then (things you find when Googling) but also standard green ones.

More to come soon....

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 08:49:24 PM »
First of the 120mm mortars. Model by S&S  :thumbsup:

As usual for me, 1 model under tow for each deployed piece.