Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:45:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: About time I do a little 'Hi' saying too...  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
About time I do a little 'Hi' saying too...
« on: June 18, 2010, 12:52:22 PM »
So, well; Hi... :D

With that out of the way, I'll do a little introduction: Screen name's Daeothar (cookie for him/her who unravels that Scrabble beauty), I have turned 37 this very day (just killing some time on this board before the respective families arrive  ;) ) and live in the south of the Netherlands, near the Belgian border.

I have been into wargaming since I was 11; my dad bought me a tin soldier casting set for my birthday. Didn't do much with it at the time, as melting and pouring metals in the familiy kitchen by an eleven year old was not considered a wise option by my mother. Go figure... I got heavily into model airplane building and painting (1/72 stuff, with Revell oil paints), but only got into actual wargaming in the late eighties (must have been 1989), when on a trip to Antwerp (BE), I stumbled upon a game store (Lonely Mountain?) and bought my first set of miniatures; a GW RTB01 boxed set.

Now, I didn't know jack about any rules, just thought they were cool and painted them in a hideous black Dark Angels scheme with enamels. Only when the games Hero Quest and Space Crusade (Star Quest over here) were published by MB, did I get a grasp of the huge machine behind all of it.

I started buying White Dwarfs, more minis, some rulebooks and I was hooked. I also ventured into other realms, such as the Aliens miniatures, Dungeons and Dragons (I played 'Oog des Meesters' (Das Schwarze Auge) with a group of friends and needed minis to represent our dungeon crawls) and basically anything I could get my undiscerning hands on.

However, I must admit to being mostly involved with GW systems, mostly 40K, but also Necromunda, Space Hulk, WHFB and most other games they published really. What can I say? I fear I fit the description of an actual fanboi...

I have been a moderator on the Bolter and Chainsword forum for years, and have my own DIY chapter of Space Marines, the Fiery Lions:

http://www.fierylions.nl/

However, I also am quite involved in the collecting of a long OOP game published by the now defunct company Cell Entertainment; 1999.

http://www.1999legacy.com/

Love that range...

Also, I really like Hasslefree and I'm seriously contemplating porting the greatest PC game ever, UFO: Enemy Unknown (aka X_COM) to the tabletop as a skirmish game. But right now, I'm working on a WHFB wizard's tower and am gathering courage to speedpaint an entire Chaos army. We'll see... ;)

So, after this lengthy gaming biography, I'm off to entertain the first party guests. I can hear my mother in law downstairs...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
Re: About time I do a little 'Hi' saying too...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 02:47:22 PM »
Welcome and happy birthday.

I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 03:35:07 PM »

Welcome to LAF 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 03:48:39 PM »
Happy Birthday and welcome to LAF!
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu