Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:32:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sci-fi urban terrain  (Read 11030 times)

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
Re: Sci-fi urban terrain
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »
Very nice effects for the sidewalks. Looking great.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 05:17:55 AM »
Oh it is comeing togther quite nicely
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 10:46:17 AM »
Thanks,

Wow... thanks for sharing... awesome looking stuff... anyway you can share some techniques on the streets and sidewalks?
The pavements are made from thick cardboard ((2mm thick), which I then scored with a knife along the paving slab edges, then taking a scuplting tool (an old ball point ought to be ok too, I used the flat edge of a craft knife at first, but that didn't seem to work too well) I ran it along to lines widening them and creating a recess. First I painted to whole board a dark grey using a small and cheap roller, then lighten the roads a little. Whilst the pavements got progressively lighter greys (always with a little brown added, I read somewhere it makes the paint look more natural, and it seems to work). Once it was all dry I marked the lines again with a 0.1 drawing pen. Then I took some soft pastels I had a few odd slabs were dusted to add different shades and the whole thing sealed with hairspray (which makes it look dark at first then clears leaving the pastels 'set' in place). I hope that helps explain it, it's pretty simple really, it just takes time.
Duncan

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 11:22:17 AM »
Very tidy job Dijit.

:)

Any chance of a closeup of the staircases...?

Offline dmaguire

• Student
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »
looks excellent! Can't wait to see it with the facades in place.
thanks for sharing these images as they're inspiring.
Dave

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 01:00:47 PM »
Very tidy job Dijit.

:)

Any chance of a closeup of the staircases...?

ahhhh, the staircases, the part I'm least proud of and thats the bit you want to see!  lol I'll see if I can get a close up later today.
Duncan

EDIT:
As requested the staircases:

Hope that helps?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:07:15 PM by dijit »

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 06:02:59 PM »
No reason not to be satisfied with the stairs, to me they look just fine  :)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 11:08:55 PM »
Thanks Jonas!
Yesterday I managed to get a the final touches to the next building done whilst watching Ghost in the Shell. It's a fairly simple box, so was pretty quick to build. The front will be 'glassed' with acetate once it has been painted. This led to some construction issues as the 'glass' couldn't be broken half over, so the front and sides are one piece whilst the back slides out with the first floor and the third floor is free standing - if that makes any sense at all? (hopefully the pictures will help explain it)

Roof off:

Second floor off:

First floor off:

It just needs painting now. I've also finishing the first buildings glazing, it just needs texturing internally and then it's done.
Duncan

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 08:33:23 AM »
Only just seen this, wow, great stuff, I really like the ultra modern look. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 06:36:51 PM »
Thanks. I put the first layer of paint on it, and found out that foamboard does indeed warp (well this is my first time using foamboard so now I know!). So it's now sandwiched under an old very heavy laptop (it'd break your thighs if you sat with it on your lap) with a new brace trying to pull the sidewalls in again - lets hope it works!
Duncan

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »
Foamcore is pretty good building material.  I use it quite a bit but it does have some properties that take some getting use to.  I like the way your buildings are progressing.  How decorated will the interiors be?

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 07:34:31 AM »
Yeah it's my first build with foamcore, so I'm getting used to it. I'm hoping for reasonably decorated interiors, but I'll be going back and doing them once I've a few more buildings done and can do them together. I'm looking for wallpaper and floor texturesat the moment, found a few good wooden floor textures, but wall paper seems hard to come by.
Duncan

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 10:14:17 PM »
Those buildings are looking great - perfect gaming buildings! Nice shape, well made, lots of nooks and crannies and different levels to make the playing area interesting. Spot on.
If you're thinking of wallpapers for the interiors at some point, you should definitely think about the patterned paper that scrap-bookers use. Lots of them look like contemporary wallpapers, and they're not that expensive at all - anything from 50 cents to two dollars a sheet. I have a feeling, though, that scrap-booking is much more popular here in the US than it is in Europe. I hope I'm wrong, though, as finished interiors would really make these buildings shine!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 10:24:39 PM »
Thanks for the hint, i was only bemoaning my wife the other day that the only hobby shop here in Vejle  has turned all 'girly' and seems to have nothing but pearls and scrap booking! So maybe there is something useful there after all, I'll have to go have a look on monday - thanks for the hint again!.
Duncan

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 11:05:30 PM »
Scrap-booking may be the answer, then. I've used various scrap-booking papers as wallpaper for my western buildings, and I had always thought that when it comes to doing some contemporary buildings, that there would be much more choice, so I think you'll find something interesting.