Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:20:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690618
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Emu War!  (Read 8612 times)

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
Re: Emu War!
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2009, 11:31:55 AM »
Ah now former user, I was referring to the fact they, the emus, were effectively the historical winners even without the advantages you care to give them.

It's more that it would be, how can I say, boring? There's a logical limit to the number of different ways the scenario would play out. I refer to it as the Tarantino Line. Ever noticed how tedious Tarantino gets about halfway through any given movie (Jackie Brown excluded)? It just gets to be variations on a theme.

Now if it was the Revenge of the Australian Bush with feral koalas, psychotic Tasmanian devils, aggressive kangaroos, stealthy emus and vast numbers of funnel-web spiders, bull ants and tiger snakes - then you have a game.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

former user

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2009, 11:51:49 AM »
yes, You are right

but who on earth would game such a scenario seriously?

it would be a fun game

I would even escalate:
The story of an ingenious plot to overthrow colonial government
In 1930, the congregation of the native australian (what is the PC term anyway?) tribes had finally enough.
Plotting a long term conspiracy to finally repulse the white settlers increasingly strangling their homeland, they started to hatch Emus and gradually subdue them by a mixture of herbal drugs and trance dances. Their time came in 1932, when the Emu population had increased and huge packs of trained animals were able to strike at the fenced crops which were the vital nerve of the invaders. The colonist army striked back in vain. Selected hunters would carefully screen the enemies' movements and the Emus would scatter instantly at the merest sight of danger. Apparently noone ever noticed the solitary silhouettes on the far skyline or was able to make the link....

now that is sick ;)

Offline marko.oja

• Scientist
    • My Photobucket
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 02:06:22 PM »
I've been pondering about how to run the game when/if I get around to doing this, and yes, the problem is is there a game in it? I can really see too possibilities for it:

A) some kind of an area-control game, which plays like a boardgame with the emus swarming through and the humans trying to kill (or rather scare) them. The worry here is that things may get boring, so the other option is...

B) go zombie. The emus don't care 'bout grain, they're comin' for tha brain! Forget history, let the human player(s) think that they are playing option A and throw a bunch of bloodthirsty birds right at them (and when they think they're done, show them the roos and sheep perhaps?)  ;D

Marko

(sorry about the marquee thing, I had to give it a go...)
Currently painting: Black Hat Three Musketeers range.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
Sorry Marko ,just saw this,possibly too late........PM for anyother Australian ephemera you may be interested in.Uuuuum a big fan of you Finn's,had a Finnish girlfriend once,when I was young :-*Still a good memory,musics not bad either  (Sibelius).You probably hear that all the time lol
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline marko.oja

• Scientist
    • My Photobucket
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 10:18:55 AM »
PM for anyother Australian ephemera you may be interested in.Uuuuum a big fan of you Finn's,had a Finnish girlfriend once,when I was young :-*Still a good memory,musics not bad either  (Sibelius).You probably hear that all the time lol
Can I get a kangaroo?  o_o

Forget Sibelius - the Valkyrians are releasing a new record tomorrow: http://www.thevalkyrians.com/  or http://www.myspace.com/thevalkyrians Excellent trad ska, and the singer sounds a lot better on record nowadays - he's always been good live, but on the first album, well, the pronunciation left room for improvement...

Marko

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 10:25:05 AM »
See what I can do Marko  ;). My musical tastes also include;

13th Floor Elevators

The Saints

Music Machine

Obscure 60's punk

And Sophie Ellis Bextor :o

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »
Beginning to wander OT guys... and I'm sure mentioning 'SEB' in the same sentence as 'music' is against the posting rules... I'll check.  ;)

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2010, 03:21:22 PM »
Did you finish this Emu War??
Just read the post and Wiki info and this game has some potential for a fun, fast and light-hearted wargame.

All you need is
Aussies: 2 trucks, two MG teams (mounted and unmounted), 1 Major (could act as a banner)
20 or so Emus
Some lengths of fencing, terrain etc.

Basically the Emus need to cross the board to safety. Each Emu removed from play (killed or escaped) gets recycled.
Killed = 1 pt
Escaped = 1 pt

You could maybe have "Safari bars" on the trucks for a "tank shock" maneuver if the MG's jam...
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
I'd love to see a regiment of emus with Thompsons and BARs join the Thanksgiving League and fight a war with the adjacent holiday of Halloween.

Unfortunately, they would meet their inevitable downfall when the second front opens up with their ill-advised invasion of Xmas (sic) and most of the army suffers frostbite and disease while laying siege to St. Petersburg.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »
This thread is uncannily coincidental for me.  My sons and I saw a commercial with people riding on Emus/Ostriches.  We all immediately agreed that Ostrich cavalry would be a fantastic unit in any army. 
This is my boomstick!