Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690699
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1009
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zombie Hunting Guide by Osprey  (Read 5235 times)

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
Zombie Hunting Guide by Osprey
« on: June 22, 2010, 11:08:38 PM »
It is in light of this startling new trend that Osprey Publishing, world-renowned publisher of illustrated history titles, has turned its attention to the problem of battling the undead.  :)

Read more here: http://www.ospreypublishing.com/blog/zombies_attack_Osprey_offices/
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
Re: Zombie Hunting Guide by Osprey
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 03:14:56 AM »
Ooooo....  :D

And It's gonna go right next to "The Zombie Survival Guide"!!!

What's your "Zombie Plan"?
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 07:32:20 AM »
Hahaha, that sounds awesome.
 :)
As for my plan...well I'd be heading into the hills. Scotland is scarily unpopulated in the middle north, and it's pretty cold most of the time so zombies would be sluggish at worst, frozen at best.

Rediculously extreme uneffective firearms laws means legal guns aren't an option so I'd probably try to pick up archery and get a lot of practice in before the zombie apocalypse.

Not to mention bows are quieter and have reusable ammunition.

Transport wise a bike's probably the best bet, no need for petrol and hopefully it'll last a while without needing any sizeable repairs.

...yes I've read the Zombie survival guide, and World War Z...and The Walking Dead, then tried to apply the rules to fit into the laws of my country.

The long term of subsistence farming in the mountains or getting to one of the islands off the coast is a bit harder, but I'd be happy to last long enough for that to be a problem.

Ofcourse the pessimist in me says I'm going to be one of those people who just wakes up dead in the first wave.
 :?
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 11:26:50 AM »
I would probably go up north (sweden), take over on of the regiments there, take all their tanks and conquer the world.

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 11:30:40 AM »
I would probably go up north (sweden), take over on of the regiments there, take all their tanks and conquer the world.

The regiments of Boden is allready taken. Find youself another place.  ;)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 11:53:03 AM »
The regiments of Boden is allready taken. Find youself another place.  ;)
Damn you northerner!
I need a new plan...

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 02:50:20 PM »
...yes I've read the Zombie survival guide, and World War Z...and The Walking Dead, then tried to apply the rules to fit into the laws of my country.
Absolutely; those are mandatory reading over at castle Daeothar too. Even for the little ones. That, and daily crossbow and/or battleaxe practice...

I have the misfortune to be situated in the most densely populated country in the world, so getting out on bike is probably not an option. However; I own an ancient tank Volvo estate (with optional bike rack), which could get the household into the frozen North pretty safely, which, after all those most sensible books, seems the best place to be when the hordes start shambling.

All in all a pretty safe bet, until I saw 'Dead Snow' that is... :o
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

former user

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 03:08:09 PM »
Osprey zombies...

now give me a break.....

which series?
campaign? warrior? Osprey facts?  ;)

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 05:06:42 PM »
All in all a pretty safe bet, until I saw 'Dead Snow' that is... :o

Well you just need to make sure that while fleeing the regular undead you don't wander into any haunted/damned/cursed grave sites.

My parents used to have a Volvo 940 (identical to the estate in every way except the "estate" bit had been taken off) BEAST of a machine, I always called it the T-34 cause it was dark green.

The thing was 15+ years old and still kicking strong as ever, only thing to break was the cigarette lighter which broke like a year in and probably could have been fixed with some superglue.
Eventually though it got too impractical and it was replaced with a wee hatchback.
 :'(

If I'd had the money then even though I can't drive I would have bought it off them and put it in storage.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 06:29:57 PM »
My friends Volvo 240 is from 1978 I think. It's still rolling.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 08:07:11 PM »
Yup; my 740 GLE is 25 years old, has over 440000Kms on the dial and is still rust free, has a clean engine and is the most practical car I know of. It's the 3rd one I own, both previous ones litereally died in the harness. Or better still; they were the harness, and saved my life (I had a fully loaded semi run into the right side at 80Kmph whilst I was standing still. I was able to simply open the driver's side door and step out. The right side was all twisted metal though. I don't think I'd be here typing this, if I had been in, say, a Suzuki Alto...).

There was this short lived, semi comedy TV series sometime in the nineties (only saw the TV trailers myself), of a group of people that survived a Nuclear Holocaust (C) . In the first episode, they sit in a shelter, relating to eachother where they were when the bombs fell. One had been in a bunker, the other in a subway tube etc. One of them however, 'was in a Volvo'... lol

If I ever get around to making a near future or present day table, there will most definitaly be at least one Volvo estate in there. Unmarred...

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 10:08:53 PM »

My parents car had a couple of fairly low ish speed accidents with some smaller "normal" cars. One the other car, probably a total write off, front all caved in pretty badly so needing a new front end at the very least. The damage to the Volvo, the number plate got half broken off. And another where the other car got a fair sized dent in it while the Volvo had a wee scratch on the bumper.

Another of the best Volvo tales is from Top Gear:
"During a challenge on the British television motoring series Top Gear, the team are given a challenge to purchase fully legal cars (with road tax and a valid M.O.T.) for less than £100, presenter Jeremy Clarkson purchased a Volvo 760 GLE, and won the overall challenge, mainly because his car cost only £1, and was the only car still working after a 30 mph (48 km/h) crash they had at the end."
 :)

Not wishing to derail the topic too much I'll stop, though that said maybe we can campagin for the inclusion of the old Volvos in the book under "if you must use a car" along side that indestructable Toyota pickup truck.
 :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:11:15 PM by Viper »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 04:17:24 AM »
It is in light of this startling new trend that Osprey Publishing, world-renowned publisher of illustrated history titles, has turned its attention to the problem of battling the undead.  :)

Read more here: http://www.ospreypublishing.com/blog/zombies_attack_Osprey_offices/

Krikies! An Osprey book my daughter would actually enjoy me buying for her!

Makes being an 'authorized Osprey dealer' all that much sweeter.

Doug

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 08:38:09 AM »
An Osprey book my daughter would actually enjoy me buying for her!

lol

Don't worry, we all do it too.
Everything is better with lizardmen.