Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:50:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Generic Napoleonic Ships of the Line - Any Sources?  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Generic Napoleonic Ships of the Line - Any Sources?
« on: June 21, 2010, 07:52:15 PM »
The wife is doing a big project featuring a major engagement between the Ottomans and the Russians during the Russo-Turkish War of the Napoleonic Period, the Battle of Obilesti, June 19th, 1807.

I would like to contribute to her "theme" for that convention with a naval engagement between the Russians and the Turks, specifically the Battle of Mt. Athos, which took place around the same time. The problem is that I'm having a hard time finding Napoleonic ships of the line that would be suitably "generic enough" for the purposes of the game. The only ranges I'm aware of are almost always based upon very specific ship designs (ie: the Spanish three decker is always Santissma Trinidad, the French 74s are usually based upon individual ships, etc.)

Don't suppose anyone can recommend a good source of "Generic" hulls that I might be able to use for the purposes of an engagement that -doesn't- involve British, French, or Spanish ships? At least a source of generic British/French/Spanish hulls that aren't based upon specifically named designs?

Tall order, I know, but perhaps someone has a suggestion.

Scale can be anything reasonable. Even the big stuff is doable.

-Alex

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Generic Napoleonic Ships of the Line - Any Sources?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:57:57 PM »
Hi,

the Hallmark "Figurehead" line has a number of 1/2400 ships for "The Age of Sail", which also includes specific "Napoleonic Wars" designs. They are, however, relatively generic-looking, although I'd say that they capture the lines rather well for the size. Prices are not unreasonable, too. You can get them in the US from Regal Noble (the link is the direct link to the model listings (downloadable as PDFs).

I've got a number of those for small-scale actions and am happy with them, but I'll be the first to admit the small size will not be to everybody's taste.

British Frigate (36) and two 20-gun sloops, plus a post cutter:

Spanish Frigate and two French cutters:

Offline swedgamer

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »
I would like to recomend Langton Minitures. The have a broad range of sailing ships and has also a nice range of buildings.

http://www.rodlangton.com/

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:49:35 AM »
Valiant Miniatures have a 1/2000 set of suitable ships.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:17:25 AM »
Assuming that you mean ships suitable for naval gaming rather than some insanely huge bit of scenery appropriately scaled for 28mm figure I would suggest you look at Navwar and GHQ's 1/1200 lines.

Some years ago I shared a house with a naval wargaming nut. He had an extensive collection including a Russian Napoleonic era fleet, all of which came from Navwar. Most of the British and French SOLs, the 74s and 64s are sufficinetly generic to pass as almost anything. A different paint job and only the most ardent rivet ( or should that be nail?) counter will know. GHQ have the best detail, they are really the Rolls Royce option but the compatible Navwar items are very good and in some cases better, bigger range too. As a bonus they do a Russian SOL and useful Turkish vessels can be found in their Renaissance range.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 01:18:34 PM »
I'll second Langton. http://www.rodlangton.com/napoleonic/frame.htm He offers Russian Napoleonic and 17th centure Balticlines that can supply enything you need in /1200. I have a large collection of Brit and French stuff from him and it is second to none.