Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:27:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gor Blimy Caps  (Read 2460 times)

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
Gor Blimy Caps
« on: June 25, 2010, 02:26:14 AM »
Woodbine has some Gor Blimy caps in their head sets, what were they, can't really tell from their picture, and where were they worn?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Gor Blimy Caps
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 07:27:57 AM »
Cap, winter, Service Dress.

They were floppy peaked caps (as opposed to the rigid ones worn at the start of the war), with fold-down ear-flaps that fastened under the chin to keep you warm in the winter. Introduced Winter 1914/15 (I think). Not liked by the higher-ups because they looked unsoldierly, and troops were only allowed to wear them in the front lines. When the tin hat came in, that became the regulation headgear at all times when in front line trenches, and because balaclavas could be worn under helmets to keep warm and Gor Blimeys couldn't the cap fell into disuse. Officially removed from service in 1917.

So late 1914 (or early 1915) to 1916 is when you would see fighting troops wearing them. Western Front, Salonika, Dardanelles, deffo. Maybe other places too.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:59:50 AM »
Actually the 'gor-blimey' was simply replaced by another service cap, this time minus ear flaps, wire stiffeners, chinstrap etc. It was manufactured with a view to simplicity and reduced cost. The peak was simply fabric heavily stitched to give it some degree of stiffness but the cap could be readily folded up and shoved in a pack or pocket. The tin hat was the mandated wear in the front line but this later cap is well illustrated in photos of ORs away from the front.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 10:12:25 AM »
So called its rumoured because its the first thing the SGT Majors said when they saw how awfull it looked! Before they just took the wire stiffeners from the SD caps or wore balaclavas etc as Plynkes already said.

As Carlos says in 1917 they brought in the trench cap which was a soft version of the SD with stitched peak which could be shoved in a pocket or pack when wearing the tin hat, a canvas/denim version came out in 1918 and survived in some cases up till WW2. Normal cap badges were worn on them.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 10:14:11 AM »
That's true, but it doesn't gainsay what I already said. As front line winter headgear, the helmet and balaclava combo replaced the Gor Blimey.  :)

Edit: Just to add, they were popular with the troops (though not with smartness-minded officers), and seem to recall it was not uncommon for troops to try and hold on to them when they were officially withdrawn. So not totally out of place on the odd figure later in the war, perhaps.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:28:26 AM by Plynkes »

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 10:31:25 AM »
Yup, tin hats and Balaclavas for frontline if you got any sense.

Out of total anorakism there were two types of 'gor blimey', one the standard and another less official one they called the northern type which had an even larger crown to it, think the Goodies and eckie thump!