Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:04:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Romani Test Run  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Battle of Romani Test Run
« on: June 02, 2010, 04:06:55 PM »
We ran the first playtest of the Historicon game last night. It was a good test run and I saw a couple of places that needed some work and everyone who took part gave some great ideas.

Since a lot of the figures still need paint, there are only a couple of shots to post. And the terrain shown will not be the final terrain, like I said, this is a test run for the scenario to work out the kinks in deployment. In fact, one of the challenges of the scenario is the fact that I do not know what the final board will look like. It is being supplied by Miniature Building Authority and they are going to "put it together" at the show so no advance shots to help me out. I love a good challenge! :)

Here is an overview of the board. On the far side is the combined force of Turk, Arab, and German. That was roughly 100 models. The British start off with only a third of their force which consisted of 18 ANZACs in two squads, an HMG team and a Field Gun.

The first few turns all the Central Powers could do was race into the HMG and field gun fire. Casualties were light, though and the advance was not hindered. Once the Central Powers hit the dunes, though, the fight got bogged down. The 8 ANZACs there, held their own under continuous fire and the German commander's poor movement rolls led to his units nearly stalling in front of them.

The Arab Irregular cavalry raced forward and looked ready to reach the town walls. However, the timely arrival of the Indian cavalry broke the advance. One Arab unit did make it to the town and dismounted to get in. They managed to take out the Field Gun, but before they could advance further, the remaining British reinforcements arrived and began advancing into the town.

The battle could have ended with either side holding the town. The Central Powers had numbers on their side, but the better trained British and ANZAC forces had the potential to break the enemies morale.

We'll run one more test of this toward the end of the month with some (hopefully) better photos as everything should be closer to being painted by then.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Adam

• Scientist
Re: Battle of Romani Test Run
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 09:51:50 PM »
Good looking game. Is that the black army productions armoured car?

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:00:29 PM »
It is indeed the Black Army car. Nice spot. :)

Online NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 11:45:22 AM »
Hopefully you use the Triuph & Tragedy-Rules???
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 12:44:49 PM »
Looks fun but what on earth as it do do with the Battle of Romani? I was expecting pics of Light Horse slugging it out in the dunes with Turks.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »
Hopefully you use the Triuph & Tragedy-Rules???
Sorry. Contemptible Little Armies. I can't help that, we own it so I have to promote it. :)

Looks fun but what on earth as it do do with the Battle of Romani? I was expecting pics of Light Horse slugging it out in the dunes with Turks.

Should have said based loosely on the Battle of Romani. We're running a game at Historicon that will have the Turks actually reaching the outskirts of Romani (some accounts I have seen mention the Turks reaching the edge of town). And those were dismounted Australian Light Horse in the forward position and in the town.

Offline Count Winsky

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 09:20:05 PM »
Nice looking game.
“There is no force like success, and that is why the individual makes all effort to surround himself throughout life with the evidence of it; as of the individual, so should it be of the nation.”

Marcus Garvey

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 09:30:56 PM »
Thanks. Running playtest #2 next Tuesday night. More miniatures on the board than the first time as more are now painted.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 09:41:34 PM »
Romani (or a small corner of it - skirmish is my thing) is on my to-do list, assuming I ever resurrect my 1/1 Herefords "Saturday Boys" project. As usual in the Middle East, everyone thinks it was just Australians (but we don't begrudge them that, they earned it), but they were there too. 13 dead and 26 wounded.

Battle Honour calls it "Rumani" though. Spelling isn't exactly our forté around here.

Look forward to seeing more pics as things develop, Rich.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 05:15:57 AM »
It looks like its going to be a lot of fun.