Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:18:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691089
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Solar Storm Miniature Game] Sneak Peak  (Read 5532 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
[Solar Storm Miniature Game] Sneak Peak
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
I can’t keep it totally under my hat anymore.  I’ve been working on a project for a while and it’s at the stage where I feel I can start to talk about it a little (not too much yet though, since there are still some changes to be made).

Solar Storm is a squad level (each side has about 5-15 models) miniature game that not only allows for miniature battles, but is specifically designed for scenario play, including some base level role playing (with the option of playing with a referee for an even more RPG-like experience) and board game elements (mostly with the use of random Special Orders cards).  The rules design goal is to be fast, easy, and sort of light hearted (as light hearted as a game where you are killing each other can be), while still promoting tactical competitive play.  The game also leaves lots of room for expansion and house rules (if you like to tinker).

What makes it particularly exciting for me is that the game already has an unofficial/official line of miniatures right out the gate.  The game was designed for Irregular Miniatures 25mm sci fi line, and I’ve received the blessings of Ian Kay (the sculptor and owner of the company) to promote the use of his miniatures for the game and include images of the miniatures in the game itself (lots of full color pictures of the minis in use).  Ian’s kids are even helping to playtest the game.  A full starting squad is only going to run you about $30 USD (and that includes oversees shipping) and about 40% less if you live over in Europe.

Solar Storm is in the early/final stage of playtesting (testing the final rule set).  All playtesting, editing, and studio shots of the game being played are tentatively scheduled to be done by October (I hope ;), maybe sooner.).

Other than playtesting I’m doing all the work on this one myself, from writing and editing, to painting, layout, photographing, and graphic design.  So, I’m particularly excited (and hopefully subsequently proud when it comes out).

Since the game includes templates, tokens, and cards, the only practical way to release it will be in PDF form.  I’ll probably include the full color version, and a printer friendly no-frills version,, but you’ll probably still want to print up the cards and stuff in color (and laminate them or put them in card protectors or glue them to cardstock).

Oh well, here’s my first teaser…The cover.

Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline B. Basiliscus

• Scientist
  • Bless us and splash us, my precious!
Re: [Solar Storm Miniature Game] Sneak Peak
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 01:53:08 AM »
Very nice aliens!
Especially Mr. pillbug armadillo thing! ;D

You might want to get Photoshop, or Paint.net (which is free) and spiff up that cover though.
It's a bit unwholesome IMHO.
A nice cover always helps games sell better.

Offline flooglestreet

• Scientist
    • Old Spaceways
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 03:04:23 AM »
I am going to be watching for your game. Does anybody carry Irregular Miniatures SF line in the states?

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:02:13 PM »
I am going to be watching for your game. Does anybody carry Irregular Miniatures SF line in the states?

There is one distributor I know of, but even with the oversees shipping it is still much cheaper to buy direct from Irregular.

http://www.silvereaglewargames.com/index.htm

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 01:31:35 PM »
Congrats, Dave! It was only a matter of time! Can't wait to check it out!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Andy

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 03:04:04 PM »
Congrats on your new game.

Since you're going public ahead of print, how about a sneak-peek of some of the game mechanics that make Solar Storm distinctive?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:37:12 PM »
This is interesting. I hope you will keep updating us regularly on your progress, the way you approach a project and work on it are as facinating as the finished article.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:27:38 PM »
Since you're going public ahead of print, how about a sneak-peek of some of the game mechanics that make Solar Storm distinctive?

I don’t want to divulge too much yet, since everything and anything is technically on the chopping block for the next couple months of playtesting.  The playtest version is complete, but everything still needs to be officially “nailed down”.

I’m a very traditional guy when it comes to games, so I hate words like “innovative” and “unique”, but I can deal with “distinctive”.

Like I said in another thread on a different forum, this game wasn’t so much written in reaction to other games, but rather in reaction to the game I wanted that wasn’t out there. 

First, I wanted a sci fi universe that was light-hearted comic book style goodness (without being retro-pulp) to get away from all the “dark future” games every mini game manufacturer seems to support.  To me, that makes it distinctive already. :) 

I didn’t want a game that was hung up on realism, or simulation.  I wanted something that was fast to learn, easy to remember, but still offered the same tactical decision making of other games.

Most importantly I wanted a game that was going to support scenario play with the ability to add a referee for more interesting stories to be told.  It’s not anywhere near a RPG, but I wanted to include a very simple mechanic that would allow for those mental and physical abilities beyond fighting.

The actual mechanics are pathetically simple; most requiring the roll of a single D6 (roll high and get over a target number).  The 4 different races (or factions) have different model types, strengths, special abilities, and weapons.

All-in-all it plays very traditionally, but there are also random Special Order cards that are drawn every round.  Some are powerful, some are minor, some affect both sides, and some are only good for certain troops or situations.  It throws a bit of random fun into the mix and gives it that “HA!  Take this!” feeling you get with many board games when you get to slap just the right card on your opponent at just the right time.

It's squad based, so you have a small number of figures in play.  You alternate back and forth activating one model at a time, so there is a lot of tactical decision making there.

In a nutshell, I took the elements I like from many miniature games I’ve played, and the basic core concept of RPGs, and added the game factor of Board Games, and then set about trying to streamline and simplify it as much as possible (things like all modifiers are +/- 1, so you don’t have a lot of crazy variety to remember…if it’s a bonus, it’ll be +1, if it’s a penalty, it’ll be -1).  I wanted it to be a game you could take home, read in an hour or two, and start playing without feeling like you don’t know half the rules.

The game will have 6 basic scenarios and 1 referee scenario in the core book.  If the game takes off, I’ll publish more scenarios, and I hope that others have the urge to publish their own as well.

Offline flooglestreet

• Scientist
    • Old Spaceways
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 03:40:37 AM »
1) What's so bad about retro-pulp?
2) Will gamers be able to design their own factions? I have a lot of minis from caster other then Irregular. I really like the Ray men BTW and I want to see what that faction looks like in your rules.
3) Whats the matter with Retro SF?

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 04:05:52 AM »
1) What's so bad about retro-pulp?
2) Will gamers be able to design their own factions? I have a lot of minis from caster other then Irregular. I really like the Ray men BTW and I want to see what that faction looks like in your rules.
3) Whats the matter with Retro SF?

1) Nothing at all...it's just not what I wanted to cover, and there are already a few games that do that.  I wanted to do 80s Saturday morning cartoon style science fiction.  There is a lot of retro-pulp sci fi stuff out there, and a lot of dark future type stuff, but not a lot (or any really) sci fi that takes a more casual light hearted approach to the genre.

2)  One of the appendixes covers how the point costs of each model is determined.  With this, and a little imagination, you could make any troops you want fairly easy.  The setting itself takes place in the inner solar system (Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars), so the rest of the planets are fair game for house rules or future expansions.  There is also nothing stopping anyone from including invaders from “outer” space.

The “Ray Men” are actually Venusians (from Venus, of course) in the game.  From the rules:

2.2.1 Venusians
The Venusians are a silent and graceful race.  Their genetic makeup is plantlike in nature and they survive through photosynthesis and communicate amongst each other telepathically. 

In past generations their people achieved a peaceful utopian society that had led to a millennium of boredom.  When a Terran ship crash landed on Venus, and was subsequently attacked by a brood of Mercurid drones the Venusians observed the resulting battle with much interest, poking the casualties with sticks.

This fighting thing was something extremely new and exciting!  Within no time the Venusians converted their laser tools into weapons, formed squads of troops, and started fighting each other and anyone else they come across.  Combat is fun and interesting!

3)  Again, nothing, but this game isn’t about Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »
I got my first full squad painted: Terran Commandos :)

I’d have more minis painted except I’m also trying to stain my deck…and since we can’t find any stain color that matches the house stain, it’s turned into staining the deck and house…and the garage can’t be a different color so…Oh well, such is life.

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 12:53:18 PM »
Cool minis and good weathering on them!
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline flooglestreet

• Scientist
    • Old Spaceways
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »
Thanks for your courteous reply to my tongue-in-cheek questions, Grubman. I will be waiting for this game.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 05:06:24 PM »
A squad of Venusian Troopers.  As you can see, each one is based up according to the terrain of the planet they are from.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 07:31:31 PM »
Lovely, full of charm. I hope your purple based insects (Dreenoi?) will make an appearance too.