Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:07:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Coast extension for my urban board (last-minute updates for Crisis 4.11.)  (Read 20417 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Foam and oily film on water
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 12:06:16 PM »
for foam you can try a special mix I use for making larp props.

A mix of water PVA and corn starch, then blowing bubbles in it and letting it dry. I suppose you should use relativity much water because that tends to make for smaller bubles.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 01:21:12 PM »
looks superb !!!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 05:05:45 PM »
Wow! that looks great, I love the water effect, it looks just like the lovely waters of Birmingham ;). Did you do it by mottling colours on to wet paint?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 07:26:59 PM »
Cork cliffs rock (see what I did there?  ;))

Sadly, yes  :(

lol lol

Wow! that looks great, I love the water effect, it looks just like the lovely waters of Birmingham ;). Did you do it by mottling colours on to wet paint?

It's far too clean for Brummie water!  ;)

That board is looking very good so far. Should be outstanding when it's finished!

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 09:45:04 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Duncan, as I said, it was rather experimental. I took the paint directly onto the unprimed MDF board, and smeared it there with a big round brush, all in one go, without cleaning the brush once. Colours used were a garish bright orange, a garish bright green, midnight blue, and black. Everything else simply happened. The board absorbed the moisture in the paint rather quickly, so it was rather the opposite to my usual wet-in-even-wetter technique as used on the groundworks. I was rather concerned that the board would warp from the moisture, so I tried to work as dry as possible.

Did a bit of research on polluted water, and I think I will just leave it as it is. It's amazing, really, the kind of colours you can get with the right kind of petrochemistry.
Resin buildings, scenery and other useful stuff: www.pardulon-models.com

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »
It has quite the Halflife feel, if you see what I mean. Excellent!
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 10:06:42 AM »
Waaay cool, Zaf! Very dystopia. I take it this board fits in with your other?

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 09:02:31 PM »
Again, some (if little) progress. Started drybrushing the cliff, and painted a few things to litter the beaches. Nothing is glued in place yet, just laid on to give a rough impression. Also painted the sandbag sections.

Also, the colour of the groundworks starts to match the previous boards (notice the line where the street section meets the coast section)

And finally, I have made a small test piece for the water:

Sorry for the blurry picture, it was already getting a bit dark, and I couldn't get a decent picture with artificial lighting. I used Vallejo Gel Denso (some sort of acrylic paste) on painted MDF, same as the board itself. The paste was then sprayed with water to soften it a bit, and smoothed down with tissue. Then, glass beads were added as described by Brandlin (can roughly be seen around the barrel, and top-left and right of the orange patch). Last time, the gel took about 3 weeks to fully dry, so I tried to speed it up with the first tool to fall into my hands... a hot-air gun. This dried the paste in no time, but also had the effect of actually boiling the stuff, so half the bubbles in the picture are actual bubbles, not glass beads. I'm not sure if I dare to recreate this effect on the actual board.

Hammers, of course it does! You can see the road part in some of the pictures. I'll take pictures of the full setup as soon as I'm finished, although I suspect that will probably be late August.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 11:22:50 PM »

I'm not sure if I dare to recreate this effect on the actual board.

Do it Jens! It looks superb  :-*

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
That water effect looks pretty good!  (and thanks for the name check... i should have patented the Brandlin method of making bubbles! :) )

I found the best thing was to use the larger glass beads sparingly and then to go round them with the next size down and then to fill in around them with the smallest size trying to keep the shapes flowing and well... swirly.

I found that the best way to set them off was then to wash them with a thinned ink. I was doing soap so I used a white artists acrylic ink - you might want to try something different. I added a touch of retarder to break the surface tension further before applying. Its superb at getting in between the bubbles whislt leaving the actual bubble transparent/translucent so it really makes them 'pop' a little more. From a distance the white also looked like the millions of very tiny bubbles you get in true soap foam.

For your application you might want to try a green, yellow or maybe even an off white?

The remainder of your board is fabulous too. Truly inspirational.

One thing that I often struggle with - what colours have you used on the bleached wood?

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
Nice execution of details.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Wow! Just stumbled upon this and that board looks great!

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
Wow! Superb! From the big picture all the way down to the brilliant little details. Inspiring stuff - looking forward to seeing old and new boards together. It's going to look amazing!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
I really like the look of this board, a great contrast to other great boards we see on LAF :)

How did you do the pavement?

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
Painting wood is easy - prime black, heavily drybrush with Cold Grey, drybrush with Stonewall Grey, highlight with either Wolf Grey or some other light grey of which I forgot the name (all Vallejo Game Colour). Then carefully pick out a few individual planks with light grey or even white. And finally apply a few thin, uneven washes of various browns. It's amazing how wood can take on almost the colour of concrete.

The concrete surfaces were all done with cork wallpaper (Amazing stuff, cork. Really.). The cracks are simply torn into the material, the pieces were then glued to the board with a millimeter between them. Afterwards, I went over it with plaster to fill in most of the small holes. Then painting.

I'll take detail pictures over the weekend.