Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:05:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690649
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dust Tactics picked up by Fantasy Flight Games  (Read 12389 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Dust Tactics picked up by Fantasy Flight Games
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 01:41:22 PM »
Each certainly has their own perspectives, however, my experience is that getting personal never resolves an issue.

Which is a correct assumption. I'd like to ask everybody to remain civil and polite, even if (or especially if!) discussing such a prolongedly frustrating topic than the seemingly neverending wait for the Dust miniatures game... ;)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 02:58:04 PM »
...getting personal never resolves an issue.
So say we all!  8)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
    • My DeviantArt portfolio
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 06:58:43 PM »
And pixelgeek is the editor of Tabletop Gaming News (I believe).

Each certainly has their own perspectives, however, my experience is that getting personal never resolves an issue.

In elementary school, people would taunt me and provoke me because they knew I would react, often lashing out. Browsing Frothers Unite and 4chan doesn't help much, despite the gems one can find if one looks hard enough. But yeah, seeing a vicious circle being formed, I stomped on the breaks and lashed out. I should have thought of something more diplomatic, but I didn't, and therein lies the problem.

The robots are probably the "Taktische Armatur "Wolf Jäger"", looking like an uparmoured Kereboros panzer-cop, which on the old website was accompanied by a soldier with a wire remote device and was described as a descendant of the Goliath demolition drone. Since the setting has all the superscience based off of alien technology found in Antarctica, technology is pretty much anything goes.
Read "Alfie's Tenners", appearing in Aurora magazine!
Expand your GK forces with cardboard models, available on DriveThruRPG!http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=4773_4902
Your ad here, for a low price!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 02:16:31 AM »
Are you trying to be a troll?

I don't agree with the way that you're laying out the history of how the various Dust games were/are produced. If I was trying to be a troll I think I would have taken a different approach.

You are also writing very quick posts that contain some very sloppy references which isn't helping with the comprehension of your comments.

AFAIK Rackham never had anything to do with the Dust Tactics miniature game that Paolo was working on. They licensed the AT-43 rules from Rackham to use as the core rules for the game but the game development and distribution was always, again AFAIK, a deal between Paolo and FFG. FFG was to be distributing it with Paolo's business contacts in China doing the production. I am not sure who was working on the rules.

At the same time that this happened FFG also released a Dust themed board game. If you were at Gen Con you could play a demo of the board game and check out some sample of the minis.

So when you say
No, I'm not talking about the board game.

you need to be clear. There was (and still is) a Dust board game from FFG. If you are talking about the new game that AEG was working with Dust Games to produce then you need to be clear since there are two Dust board games.

Now I don't think you have your chronology correct but you are also being pretty damn sloppy about how you are referring to products so who can really tell. If you want to get your panties in such a big knot maybe you can spend some of that energy in advance and just be clear about what you are actually talking about instead of venting when someone doesn't agree with you.

And yes, I know I should take my own advice so no need to point out that glaring piece of hypocrisy.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 02:20:51 AM »
Maybe, but he was put down twice before he took offence.................  :?

He wasn't put down. I disagreed with him and asked him some questions. Maybe my comments are being taken the wrong way but I was trying to find out what he was talking about.

And pixelgeek is the editor of Tabletop Gaming News (I believe).

Which doesn't mean I'm not wrong.  :D  Especially when it comes to the hectic and confusing history of this title and the multiple games that have sprung from it. And that isn't even considering AT-43 as a Dust game.

Lets not forget to add in the confusing aspect of FFGs specific business responsibilities for the first Dust miniatures game. I don't think it was ever clarified if they were just distributing the game or if they were involved in some other extent.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 02:22:28 AM »
The robots are probably the "Taktische Armatur "Wolf Jäger""

I think Agis is right and its a typo. The marketing people don't know the product or perhaps its a translation issue. The boxed game most assuredly has no robots of any type in it. Just the two walkers for each force.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 05:21:02 AM »
I think Agis is right and its a typo. The marketing people don't know the product or perhaps its a translation issue. The boxed game most assuredly has no robots of any type in it. Just the two walkers for each force.
Yup, the usual errors of sloppy marketing guys that are not even knowing what pain they cause to the real fans!
 :(

Anyway - I still look forward to the game! :)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 05:34:12 AM »
Yup, the usual errors of sloppy marketing guys that are not even knowing what pain they cause to the real fans!

Especially fans who know that names of the actual robots in the game :-)

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 03:43:57 PM »
I can't say I'm that happy about it moving over to FFG, they have made some pretty nasty cockups in the past...and that robot mistake did make me sigh a little.

While by the sound of things the main box for Dust was pretty much 100% finished before being handed over, so FFG will only have to handle the actual release. I am more worried about expansions and such that will either be partly started already and finished off by FFG, or entirely new ones, as the people working on them could have very different views about where they want to take things.

Then there is the fact that full on miniature games are not FFGs main focus, they are more boardgame/rpg focused, which means we are probably less likely to see miniatures sold outside of the box set. I don't think I can bring myself to get the whole box when all I want are the 2 german mechs.

At the end of the day if I am totally wrong and I get some nice looking affordable 28mm KV-47 models I'll probably be happy.
 :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:49:21 PM by Viper »
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
To be honest, the only issue I have with FFG is the fact that they take SOOOOO long in releasing things.

The quality of their products are second to none imho.

They now own Tannhauser, and after an agonizingly long wait for the new rules, they're still dragging behind in putting out some new releases.  Also, they seem to have very poor support.  The forums rarely have any input fron an official capacity. 

Sometimes I think they have far too many irons in the fire, and they cannot focus energies on some important aspects.

Still, really looking forward to DUST, regardless of the publisher.

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 05:29:02 PM »
I'll be honest with ya, I hope to just pick up a couple Mickeys and Luthers off Quarter Kit if they are going to be available that way anymore and leave all the other stuff behind.  I don't intend to play the game itself and I think it will be marketed as a board game and not sold as a minis game as noted above so I think we will see lots of troops up for sale and trade on the boards and the mechs will be highly sought after and sold off high on the auction sites.  Don't see lots of casual customers delving into it especially at $100 to just get started when you can just do Heroclix, card games and other stuff at a fraction of the price.  I wish them the best but i think they would be better off selling in bits like most miniature games.  By doing this you will get those casual shopper dropping a bit of cash for a cool mech for whatever game they play or just for displaying or just giving the little ones a squad of cool looking "army men".

Wish them luck and hope they make me eat crow,
Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 07:39:43 PM »
The forums rarely have any input fron an official capacity. 

As a rule FFG don't use their forums for posting of official news or info. They are for fans to discuss the games.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 07:59:11 PM »
As a rule FFG don't use their forums for posting of official news or info. They are for fans to discuss the games.

Wasted opportunity IMHO.  I just don't understand this line of thinking.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 09:19:25 PM »
Wasted opportunity IMHO.  I just don't understand this line of thinking.

Forums only talk to a small fraction of dedicated and highly opinionated fans. Its better to concentrate your resources on talking to all your fans instead.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 10:00:48 PM »
Forums only talk to a small fraction of dedicated and highly opinionated fans. Its better to concentrate your resources on talking to all your fans instead.

That's just your OPINION!! LOL....yes, we are a highly opinionated group.

I understand your point very well.  Possibly I'm a bit spoiled by all the 'small companies' I support.  For instance Robert is very active on the Darkson Designs forum, Nathan on the Wyrd one, Jim on the Grindhouse Games (Sotr), Andy at Heresy on Forum of Doom.