Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:35:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Space Hulk rule clarification.  (Read 4232 times)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Space Hulk rule clarification.
« on: July 13, 2010, 04:51:48 PM »
We've been getting a few more games of SH in lately....and some more questions have popped up that I can't find addressed.

Heres the first scenario.

The GS has a blip 6 spaces away from the SM, around a corner and down a corridor, so there is no 'line of sight'.  The GS player decides, to reveal the blip, it's a three, and according to the rules, you place 1 GS in the space that held the blip, and the others in ADJACENT spaces.  So I place one in front of the blip space, one on the blip space, and one behind.

My opponent is contending that by doing this, I'm gaining a 'free move' for the front GS, as he is now only 5 spaces away from the marine, and will be able to attack when he gets closer for his 6th AP.

What do you say?

The second situation is regarding moving forward, diagonally.  It makes sense to be able to enter a room this way, but on an L shaped corridor, can you 'cut the corner' and avoid using an AP to land in the corner space?  Doing this saves an AP, but it seems cheap.

Opinions?

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
Re: Space Hulk rule clarification.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 05:00:20 PM »
First point - placing a revealed stealer in front of the blip is perfectly legit when the blip is 3 stealers. (Best not to use the 4, 5 and 6 blips from the supplements I suspect for now  ;) )

Second point - that would be an illegal move.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 05:06:48 PM »
Cheers Onebigriver!

Quick and concise!

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 05:18:28 PM »
The GS has a blip 6 spaces away from the SM, around a corner and down a corridor, so there is no 'line of sight'.  The GS player decides, to reveal the blip, it's a three, and according to the rules, you place 1 GS in the space that held the blip, and the others in ADJACENT spaces.  So I place one in front of the blip space, one on the blip space, and one behind.

If the stealer opens a blip the can place the model in front of the blip space, yes. It doesn't matter if the blip contains 2 or 3 Stealer. The Stealer gets kind of a free move that way, also yes. But remember you are not allowed to place a revealed Stealer model into LOS of a Space Marine. So if you have a 3 Stealer blip directly on the front space of a corridor the 3rd Stealer would be lost because there's no room to place it out of LOS.

The second situation is regarding moving forward, diagonally.  It makes sense to be able to enter a room this way, but on an L shaped corridor, can you 'cut the corner' and avoid using an AP to land in the corner space?  Doing this saves an AP, but it seems cheap.

You can make a diagonal move in the way you describe it unless both spaces are occupied. See page 14 top right picture, movement of the second Stealer.

What do you play, 1st or 3rd?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:27:06 PM by Mike D. Mc Brice »

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 05:44:46 PM »
I play 3rd edition.

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »
1st is better, 3rd is easy going for the Marines.

These rules are the same in both editions though.

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 06:20:37 PM »
Mike D. is right in both points!

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 07:18:01 PM »
That's why I'm continually getting slaughtered as the Genestealers!!

(i thought it was just my shoddy play)

I've got that Space hulk Bible on disk somewhere, I'll have to try out 1st edition!

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 07:23:18 PM »
Just give it a go. The Marine doesn't get sustained fire when firing on Overwatch and if he rolls a jam he has to spend APs to get the Stormbolter working again. Plus many other little changes.
The Marine needs a pretty good plan when playing 1st edition, it's more fun for both players. :)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 03:59:42 PM »
Having played (and still owning) versions 1, 2 and 3 plus the 2 1st edition expansions, my experience is completely the other way around; in 1st and 2nd, the SM player was able to win in nearly all basic missions, without too much trouble. It's the 3rd edition that has me fearing my turn to play the Termies... ???

Now of course, this is only with my local group of players, but I have heard similar stories elsewhere in the Webways. Interesting to see how experiences can vary so wildly. Maybe playing them like they were played in 1st is not so smart after all then... :D

As for the questions, and as answered correctly before too;

1 - yup; completely legal and just another trick up the sleeve within the arsenal of the Genestealer player.
2 - also good to go; both Termies and Stealers can do this. We play it as follows though; the corner can be cut, but the corner square may not be occupied when doing so, even if the adjacent squares are free...

btw: 1st is by far my fave too... 8)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 04:13:50 PM »
One of the simplest ways to make 3rd ed. a LOT trickier for the marines is to have 2 marine players sharing command.

For starters the time limit becomes a really pressing thing as you have little or no time to coordinate your plans with your team mate and carry them out. With this added pressure and 2 people doing things it also makes a "using too many command points" loss a lot more likely if in the rush to finish the turn one player ends up using a CP that's already been used.

It really creates more of a feel of communications glitchs, marines being separated or left behind, and general mayhem.

Sadly I never actually got to play 1st edition, though I read about it a lot in my Uncles old white dwarf mags as a wee kid. One day I really should look into finding a download of the rules.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »
Sadly I never actually got to play 1st edition, though I read about it a lot in my Uncles old white dwarf mags as a wee kid. One day I really should look into finding a download of the rules.

See now, most kids thumb through their Uncles Playboy collection.  Us gamers are a special lot.

Thanks for all the opinions!  I was thinking about having 2 SM players for the missions with 2 squads.  That would really add some serious tension.

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 07:07:34 PM »
Having played (and still owning) versions 1, 2 and 3 plus the 2 1st edition expansions, my experience is completely the other way around; in 1st and 2nd, the SM player was able to win in nearly all basic missions, without too much trouble. It's the 3rd edition that has me fearing my turn to play the Termies... ???

The missions are the same with a few exceptions. The Space Marine rules are much more efficient in 3rd edition. Also you have all the special Marines available in 3rd whilst 1st edition limits you to Sarge and Flamer.
Which rule changes make you fear the Stealer in 3rd Edition?  :o

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 08:36:59 PM »
See now, most kids thumb through their Uncles Playboy collection.  Us gamers are a special lot.

Well they were at my grans house, I imagined he took anything more...interesting with him. Though I know there were a few dodgier books in his old book case. I'm glad I was more interested in looking at the pretty pictures in WD than hauling down the various "Of Gor" books.
 :-X

With the 2 marine players it really does make time more of a factor cause of any questioning of actions/decision making processes.
Even just having 2 players controling a single squad of marines, especially if you don't assign specific models to each person, can lead to utter chaos when things start to go wrong. It ends up a bit like the scene in aliens where Gorman and Ripley are shouting different orders down the mic.
 :D