Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Wadi near Chunuk Bair (Game Report)  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Mycenius

• Bookworm
  • Megalomania?! What's that...?
    • Wargaming.info
A Wadi near Chunuk Bair (Game Report)
« on: July 19, 2010, 07:09:33 AM »
Hi All,

I recently had a first bash at a 28mm WW1 Game using the TSATF Rules - there are some photos and a brief report at my site for those who may be interested...

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: A Wadi near Chunuk Bair (Game Report)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 07:36:05 PM »
Smashing. And you have a bunch of Darkest Africa-type stuff on your site, too, which is also very much my cup of tea.  I'm going to have to find some time to spend reading all that lot.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:53:23 PM »
Great looking stuff. I really like the look of your board.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:10:25 PM »
Hardcore LAF material. I feel my loins stirring.

Offline Mycenius

• Bookworm
    • Wargaming.info
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks Chaps - appreciate all the positive comments... And yes, lots of Colonial stuff Plynkes, although at least one of our German DA games was originally posted here by Kieran (i.e. 6mmfan) - I subsequently incorporated it into my abstract "Adventures of Oberleutnant Koffler" campaign covering our DA games!  :)

Op5 - the cloth used, if you are interested, is from Terrain Mat in the UK. While reasonably expensive the mat surface itself is very good, however I am having trouble with mine going stiff and hard (possibly from not enough use  :(  and not related to Hammers' loins stirring  :o  ), as a result the surface is cracking and/or part peeling off the backing in places... You could make these yourself if really keen - but the main trick would be finding the right resin style glue - basically it's a large sheet of wind (not shade) cloth or weed mat (i.e. for gardening - the material kind, not the plasticy stuff) and it's been sprayed with a resin style glue and coated with assorted grades of sawdust, wood shavings, coarse sand, etc, giving it a surface like sandpaper but of varying texture - and then spray painted... I subsequently sprayed it with acrylic matt varnish just to help with some extra binding of the flock material to reduce potential flaking and wear...

Hills are a mix of my set of the old Geo-Hex Desert Hills (which blended surprisingly well), some home made 'Sudan' Hills of Roundie's (my opponent in the game), and a couple of stand alone Sudan/Desert Hills I got from ESLO some time ago to see what their stuff was like. The Dry River Bed (and the patches of 'rough terrain' with the red rocks) came from Terrain Mat again (with the base cloth) and I made the Camel Thorn/Scrub from the reliable old astro-turf mat material glued to washers! At some stage I'll be rebasing the figures to be consistent with my other 28mm Colonial and similar chaps on 1" square or round Litko 3mm Plywood bases with flocking painted to blend with (or at least complement) my base mats, etc...

And Hammers indeed, I hope so... In at least some small way (that's the Classic LAF part not the loins stirring bit)!   ;)  If you are gonna do something properly it needs to look the part right?  :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:55:14 PM by Mycenius »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:34:32 PM »

And Hammers indeed, I hope so... In at least some small way (that's the Classic LAF part not the loins stirring bit)!   ;)  If you are gonna do something properly it needs to look the part right?  :)

Damn straight!

Offline Count Winsky

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 10:52:04 PM »
Great looking game.
“There is no force like success, and that is why the individual makes all effort to surround himself throughout life with the evidence of it; as of the individual, so should it be of the nation.”

Marcus Garvey

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 12:17:01 PM »
Hardcore LAF material. I feel my loins stirring.

You're not the only one.  ;)
Great site, some delightful looking figures and games. I don't frequent this board much as its not my bag, but glad I did today :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mycenius

• Bookworm
    • Wargaming.info
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 12:12:35 AM »
Thanks Guys - appreciate all the positive comments!