Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:17:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Warbard reviews .45 Adventures 2nd Edition  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
The Warbard reviews .45 Adventures 2nd Edition
« on: April 12, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »
Over on my gaming website & blog, The Warbard, I've just published a review of .45 Adventures Second Edition.

It's aimed at least partially at gamers who've got a bit of 1st Ed. experience, but should be general enough to interest completely new players as well.

Shortest possible summary: Streamlining makes things sleeker and pulpier, typos notwithstanding.  :)

Comments here or on the article! Enjoy!

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: The Warbard reviews .45 Adventures 2nd Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 06:08:58 PM »
I have read the review and I have to say he has some nerve...  :D

Seriously, he points out my flaws (since the book and I are one) and gives a good summary of the differences between 1st and 2nd edition.

One of the things he noted in the review was that some items were missing from Super Science or the Weapons List. These were purposely left off as I wanted time to rework them. The fact that they are missing does not detract from what you can do.

AND these items will most likely reappear at some point as a FREE download on the Speakeasy forum. As I have stated previously, there will be no rules additions that require you to spend more money. We will release new books with worked up archetypes, characters, and scenarios, but the rules you need will be free (until my accountant says I am losing too much money. :) ).
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 01:58:31 AM »
I should note that the review is written by Brian (Wirelizard), not myself, but that I do agree with it. And yes, typos aside, it is a great release of a great game.

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 02:48:34 AM »
My book arrived this morning, I've had a wee flick through it and I love it.
 :)

I'd agree with everything the review says. Everything is great rules wise but the book is a little dented in the editing department, not to any major degree but it is a shame that many of those errors could have perhaps been picked up just by asking a fresh pair of eyes to give it a read through.

The only rules based error I noticed was one missed stat.
In the Witch Doctor archetype there is no number for the maximum Paranormal choices.
I assume it is supposed to be a 0 as the character is grade 3 and the other options add up to the maximum number of 20 choices but being a Witch Doctor I could imagine someone thinking a paranormal ability would fit.

Again hardly a major thing and it's easily worked out what it's ment to be but there will be a rare few maybe who try to use/abuse the gap.

That aside though the book is great and I can't wait to sit down and have a better read of it and start planning some terrain pieces, characters and plot hooks.

Not to mention my book arrived just 10 days after I ordered it which is really good considering it was coming from the US to Scotland, I've had stuff ordered from within the UK take that long to arrive before.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:51:12 AM by Viper »
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 01:31:39 PM »
"There are a number of layout glitches that make some things hard to read than they should be,.."

Shouldn't that have been 'harder....than'?  ;)

I expect to order the book next month to have a look for myself - and if the few things left out are needed for something, one can always tweak the entries from 1st Ed. One thing that struck me about 1st. Ed. was that the game flow might get a little 'heavy', and if the revised system gives a faster flow, so much better.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 08:13:42 PM »
"There are a number of layout glitches that make some things hard to read than they should be,.."

Shouldn't that have been 'harder....than'?  ;)

Every attempt to criticize spelling or grammar will itself contain a spelling or grammar mistake. This is one of those universal laws.  :D

That said, I'll try and fix that typo when I have a spare moment.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 07:43:12 AM »
Heh, I don't normally do that, but I just couldn't resist.  :)

Anyway, it's always good to read other people's thoughts on a ruleset.