Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:20:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dalek Invasion Earth Project  (Read 9671 times)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Re: Dalek Invasion Earth Project
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »
great stuff, Jansen... the robomen really work and the Slyther - but in it's defence I really like the original BBC one you can get from BTD...  :D I have two... and the classic robomen for me as well...

easy to convert new recruits as well...

Sorry can't help about Cyberships. AEG and Auton might have some suggestions.

I don't think you see the Cyberships very clearly in The Invasion - one is in orbit of the Moon, but there is no sense of scale, so it could be massive or a remote drone... first Cybership seen is Revenge of the Cybermen I think (although Moonbase may have had one - never seen it), which is just so much toilet roll... seem to remember the Cybership in Silver Nemesis was rather spiffy, but waiting on the DVD for that one...

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 11:51:23 AM »
You always do a great job with those figures Chris but as you know I like to have multiple uses for most of the figures. The robomen will end up drafted as part of the security forces taking on the Dalek in the scenario based on the Dalek story

It was actually Rev who suggested the proto-shoggoth after putting up a stout defence for the original Slyther. Probably best not to mention what I plan to use as not-Quarks, not-Mechanoids etc. I've already committed the cardinal sin of using  Gary Mitchell's ridged rim aliens as Ogrons. Wait until you see what I'm using as Terror Autons!  :D
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 04:36:24 PM »
ooooo I'd like some Mechanoids myself....

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »
ooooo I'd like some Mechanoids myself....

Nope. Not telling. At least they'll look like they could have built a city and defeated the Daleks rather than just rolled about a bit.  ;)

Offline Jet Simian

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 02:39:01 AM »
I don't think you see the Cyberships very clearly in The Invasion - one is in orbit of the Moon, but there is no sense of scale, so it could be massive or a remote drone... first Cybership seen is Revenge of the Cybermen I think (although Moonbase may have had one - never seen it), which is just so much toilet roll... seem to remember the Cybership in Silver Nemesis was rather spiffy, but waiting on the DVD for that one...

The Moonbase one is a saucer which IIRC looks very much like the saucer shown here! The Invasion one returns in a cameo in the spaceships-over-Stonehenge scenes during the recent Eleventh Dr story The Pandorica Opens - and a lovely shot it is, too (if you like lens flare).

Either are great choices, and better than the rather phallic Revenge ship. But if I had a choice I'd go for the Invasion one, now that the Daleks have cornered the market for saucers.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »
are there any pics of the Invasion Cybership? very intrigued... have the DVD, but the animation doesn't really show much

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 04:51:02 PM »
Nope. Not telling. At least they'll look like they could have built a city and defeated the Daleks rather than just rolled about a bit.  ;)

I'll be disappointed if you're using marbles...

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 05:23:32 PM »
I'll be disappointed if you're using marbles...

lol Now there's an idea. No, problem with a lot of the Who robots is that the they look totally unsuitable for what they're designed to do. Quarks and Mechanoids are the prime examples. I just plan to use something that fulfil their roles more convincingly. I have decided that when I get round to doing the Dominators scenario, I will use the two figures from BTD.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 05:56:53 PM »
Sounds intriguing - always loved the Quarks!

Back on the cyberships - just had a look at The Invasion DVD - they look like thin cylindrical ships with 2 larger midsections that look suspicioulsy like cotton reels!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 07:07:13 PM »
Sounds intriguing - always loved the Quarks!

Back on the cyberships - just had a look at The Invasion DVD - they look like thin cylindrical ships with 2 larger midsections that look suspicioulsy like cotton reels!

Surely you are not suggesting the BBC props dept used cheap household items in Dr Who  :o

lol lol

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »
Surely you are not suggesting the BBC props dept used cheap household items in Dr Who  :o

lol lol

I remember seeing a documentary with Matt Irvine in the 1980s. To his shame, he built a ship for Blake's 7 out of a hairdryer.

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »
I remember seeing a documentary with Matt Irvine in the 1980s. To his shame, he built a ship for Blake's 7 out of a hairdryer.

I remember him on SWAPSHOP  showing off his models ,the infamous hair dryer was part of the show .If memory serves the 2 halves of the dryer were side by side. I remember watching BLAKES 7 and seeing them use a wall mounted com unit which was a pocket calculator turned upside down and stuck on the wall.!!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 08:02:56 PM »
I remember him on SWAPSHOP  showing off his models ,the infamous hair dryer was part of the show .If memory serves the 2 halves of the dryer were side by side. I remember watching BLAKES 7 and seeing them use a wall mounted com unit which was a pocket calculator turned upside down and stuck on the wall.!!

He was quite embarassed about the ship because it was so recognisable.

That said, the interior of the Nostromo apparently relied heavily on washing up dish racks.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »
He was quite embarassed about the ship because it was so recognisable.

That said, the interior of the Nostromo apparently relied heavily on washing up dish racks.

the switchs Ripley presses in the shuttle at the end are sprue...

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 09:57:48 PM »
I envy the guys who got to work on the ships for Alien, Star Wars etc. All that kitbashing....