Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:14:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690965
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AE Bounty Review and Battle Report  (Read 13229 times)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
AE Bounty Review and Battle Report
« on: July 21, 2010, 06:54:34 PM »
Well my copy of AE Bounty arrived a few days ago, I'd been waiting a long time so it was nice to finally have it in my hands. So I thought I'd do a quick review and battle report.
The book is full colour A5 sized with 100 pages. The A5 size is nice as there is less tabletop taken up by rulebooks!
If you've played AE WWII the I understand that the rules mechanics work pretty much the same way. They are a simple yet elegant skirmish ruleset, with alternative activation. In the basic rules there is nothing all that new, but it's in the force construction that the rules really shine. Here there are a number of different templates to build your crew around, ranging from the small, but elite 'two man teams' through the veteran and standard templates to the large crews. These templates tell you how many veteran, regular and green choices you are allowed, and after choosing whether you want Bounty Hunters, Mercenaries or Pirates you're ready to start filling out these templates. Each option allows for a variety of different equipment choices (pistols, Rifles, SMGs, special equipment, etc), but what you choose from those choices is freely open. Also each choice can then be modified by adding an alien type to it, sometimes altering it's profile or giving other options. With the different crews available you can as few as 1 model and upto 18 models in a crew. You're also able to choose from a number of 'Dirty Tricks', these allow you to gain some sort of tactical advantage such as gaining the initiative, getting extra equipment, laying an IED.
Another nice thing with the rules are the missions, each missions has a primary objective (rescue the VIP, annihilate the opposition, etc), and each crew has a secondary and faction objective. All these different objectives means that few games will ever be the same. Also include are rules for fighting on board spaceships, with zero gravity and rapid decompression rules. The rule book also contains a simple campaign system, not quite the level of the likes of Necromunda, but reasonable enough.

But I figured that a short game and maybe a battle report might help too (pictures are never a bad thing) Here's the two crews both made with the standard crew template:

A Bounty Hunter crew, With a Hero gunfighter, a bit of heavy support and a few grunts. All Bounty Hunter options are single figures, so the highest number of Bounty Hunters you're going to get is 6. Small, but tough seems to be the name of the game.

A Mercenary crew. A few more minis this time. With a Hero warrior leader, a bit of heavy support, a few grunts and two assault guys.

The mission was a chance encounter, with two options deployed on the table and others coming on one at time on a table edge.

Here we have deployment from the Bounty Hunter's viewpoint:

and again from the Mercenaries viewpoint:

The two crews moved up to each other, the few shots that were fired were largely ineffective.

After a few turns the reinforcements started to arrive, the the heavies from both crews advancing in the open to get good lines of fire trusting in their armour (wisely enough it turns out). The Mercenary's assault team moves up to move through the building, meanwhile lots of shots are traded and the Mercenary sergeant manages to wound the lizard looking bounty hunter.

Now things start to get interesting - the merc heavy opens fire on the wounded bounty hunter taking him down. The mercs then move their models up through the large central building.

The Bounty Hunter heroine backs off from the building as the merc assault team burst through the door, she gets shot at and suppressed by the Merc sergeant and later runs for cover of the nearby police car.

Where she then gets charged by the merc assault team and gets wounded. meanwhile the heavies trade shots and are unable to bet each other's armour.

Until the Bounty Hunter heavy chooses instead to take out the merc heavy's green friends, denying him the chance to rapidly reload his weapon. The Bounty Hunter Heroine takes out the assault team, whilst the merc sergeant moved up to help them out leaving him standing in the open.

Where he promtly receives a head shot from the bug eyed bounty hunter taking him out. The Merc crew's drive drops to 0 and they route. The Bounty Hunters are left in command of the field and more scum are off the the penal mines of Amman IV.

Hope you like it,
Duncan
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 06:59:01 PM by dijit »

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
Re: AE Bounty Review and Battle Report
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 07:00:22 PM »
Great looking game and fantastic terrain.

Offline RJ

• Scientist
    • http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 07:19:39 PM »
Great stuff all round!  :-*

I love the alien minis and the great paint job. Where are they from again?
Check out my blog here:

http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/

Accepting painting comissions

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »
Thanks!
The Bounty Hunters are I-kore plastics, that have been heavily converted. The end on the right is 'as is'. The others are mainly from Zombiesmith with a Copplestone/EM4 future warrior and an old citadel Space Marine scout. I've got a few of Darkson's own aliens, but not painted them up yet. From what i understand Zombiesmith's, Darkson's and a few of Antenociti's new minis are all scuplted by the same (rather talented) guy, and the minis I've got from all three place seem to fit nicely with each other.
Duncan

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 09:43:20 PM »
Seems really cool.  Is it fairly easy to pick up?  I'd like to do some Sci-fi skirmishing with my son (he's 10) and I'm always looking for rules to use.  Right now we use some LotR variant I came up with.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 07:29:53 AM »
Thanks for an interesting report.  I'm definitely keeping a close eye on these rules, so keep it up!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 10:29:48 AM »
I'd say yeah they're fairly easy to pick up. I'm pretty sure there's a free quick version of the AE WWWII rules on their site which should give you the basics. Each model has a number of actions based on their quality level, each action allows movement, shooting, Close combat, etc. Shooting works by rolling equal to higher than the models 'RC', if it hits then roll a D6 and add the models strength, giving the strength of the attack, from this take away the target's armour value and any cover bonuses and what remains is the score needed for the target's armour save. It's quick and straight forwards I don't think a 10year old would have problems picking it up. Plus the pointless crew building system means that I reckon a 10 year would quickly be able to get to grips with that too.
Duncan

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »
Nice post! I'll be nicking some idea for my terrain too: I love the displacing red-white "mediterranean" enviroment with katakana writings on it!
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline aluangel

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 11:12:55 AM »
The Idea seems to be interesting. It brings back some memoris of first star wars movies...  ::)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 09:57:09 PM »
Nice post! I'll be nicking some idea for my terrain too: I love the displacing red-white "mediterranean" enviroment with katakana writings on it!
Thanks, I've no idea what the writing says I just copied it off an Tamiya model set! You're welcoming to nick terrain ideas I've just nicked them from other places, nothing new here ;)
Duncan

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 01:53:48 AM »
The buildings are great - very Mos Eisley-ish, and the contrasting red is inspired! Models are cool too - nice use of a Kroot head in there with one of the plastic I-Kore minis. It's also great to read somebody's impressions of a new game, because you know what we're all like here. A new game comes out - particularly sci-fi skirmish games - and we MUST know how it plays. I'll be picking up a copy in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:19:47 PM by Hawkeye »
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
I must say i don't blame you. I'm quite picky when it comes to rules, but these have really grabbed me. There's a few gramatitical errors and things that could've been worded better, but i can live with that if the content is as good as this is.
Duncan

Offline GregX999

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 02:50:48 AM »
Hey, your figures and terrain are outstanding!

The rules look very interesting. Are they "generic" (for any figures) or are they for the alien races that are being sold to go with the game? Can you build up a game profile for any figures from any system? What about large beasties? Giant power armor? Are there rules for vehicles? What types of weapons are common? (Is everything projectile based, or are there lasers, plasma canons and thermal detonators?)

Greg

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 03:38:45 AM »
Hey, your figures and terrain are outstanding!

The rules look very interesting. Are they "generic" (for any figures) or are they for the alien races that are being sold to go with the game? Can you build up a game profile for any figures from any system? What about large beasties? Giant power armor? Are there rules for vehicles? What types of weapons are common? (Is everything projectile based, or are there lasers, plasma canons and thermal detonators?)

Greg

You can use any models you like. The rules do specify some specific races, but you can simply choose that race for it's benefits in the game, and visually you can represent it how ever you like. Some of the other models that would work really well for AE Bounty include the Zynvaded models (cheap too at $5 each!) and any of the models from MERCS Minis.

Offline Tsune

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 07:55:40 AM »
Nice report! Great scenery and miniatures.