Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:33:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AE Bounty Review and Battle Report  (Read 13227 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: AE Bounty Review and Battle Report
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 09:42:58 AM »
Very nice looking table ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 11:58:46 AM »
Hey, your figures and terrain are outstanding!

The rules look very interesting. Are they "generic" (for any figures) or are they for the alien races that are being sold to go with the game? Can you build up a game profile for any figures from any system? What about large beasties? Giant power armor? Are there rules for vehicles? What types of weapons are common? (Is everything projectile based, or are there lasers, plasma canons and thermal detonators?)

Greg

wow that's a lot of questions!
As wargameguru answer - Yes the rules are generic, with different alien races that can be applied, I've not got an of Darkson's own aliens, but using the random ones I've amassed over the years. Also people on Darkson's forum are posting crews built of all sorts of different models, so no worries there. There's loads of profiles available so it's possible to profile any model (there's one guy whose been playing a single super predator for instance). There aren't rules for vehicles in the main book, but there are in it's sister sytem AE-WWII which uses the same mechanics, so it shouldn't be difficult to 'port' them in, I've also heard there'll be coming something on vehicles in their free update thingy 'Over the Wire'. Weapons includes slug throwers, particle beams, electro lasers, mental weapons, so there's plenty to choose between. It's not quite possible to build everything you could think of, but it's certainly more open than most other rules I've come across and there seems to be more stuff on the way.

Thanks for all the comments too!
Duncan

Offline GregX999

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
Ah, I didn't see that they had their own forum. Lots of good info there. Looks like I just might have to pick up these rules myself.
:)

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »
Just got my copy in the mail. I think old Citadel 40k, Pig Iron, Warzone, any kinda fig you have will be good. Obviously some of the new ones are great by Darkson and Zombiesmith has a pack just screaming for this rules set. And could probably use just straight Necromunda figs if you wanted.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
The Darkson and Zombiesmith are sculpted by the same guy, so fit very nicely (He goes by the name PF - http://pf.minis.pagesperso-orange.fr/). He's also done some of Antenociti Workshop's Governance of Technology minis, which fit well, but are probably closer to infinity stuff.
Duncan

Offline Criamon

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 10:23:54 PM »
Sorry, do you know if the rules AE-Bounty are in PDF? or only in a paper book?
Few days ago I bought AE-WWWII in PDF format but I cant saw another version for AE-Bounty.

Thanks!!

PD: Another question, I think use for the rules the Star Wars Miniatures (from Wizkids), are good for the game??
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:25:54 PM by Criamon »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 11:26:14 AM »
As far as I'm aware I'm aware their only available as pdf yet, though there was some talk on their forum about them coming as a pdf if the sales look good.
It should be possible to play star wars reasonable well with the rules, using the superhero rules (from their free download ezine 'Over the wire') it should be possible to create some good jedi/sith.
Duncan

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 12:59:07 PM »
Are these rules suited for for Star Trek like skirmishes? Investigation with wushy humans and that sort.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »
I guess so, though I think Fantastic Worlds might be better for Star Trek type scenarios.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 05:43:04 PM »
Nice table nice mini's, good job...

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 03:39:26 AM »
Nice table nice mini's, good job...

I'm surprised more people aren't still talking about this game. I've been reviewing some of the models recently, and the game itself as a whole for a while now, and I think it might very well be one of the best new games released so far this year. It's a tough call, because personally I think it and Freebooter's Fate are so close, that when it comes time to do Best of the Year stuff it will be extremely hard to choose which is really better overall.

It's really nice that you don't even have to use their models to play it, but the models they do make available are quite cool. I've also found new uses for the MERCS Minis models, the Shock Troopers from Wargames Factory, and even 40k models in AE Bounty. As another guy mentioned, the Star Wars pre-painted minis would work just fine as well. It's definitely a flexible system, plus it's fun to play.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »
 I hope to get the rules at some point.From this post it looks like it plays really well.

Great table set-up and miniatures by the way.

One question.Do they have rules for flight packs or flying aliens?

Nice to know other miniatures can be used.The start of the range looks very promising.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »
I'm surprised more people aren't still talking about this game. I've been reviewing some of the models recently, and the game itself as a whole for a while now, and I think it might very well be one of the best new games released so far this year. It's a tough call, because personally I think it and Freebooter's Fate are so close, that when it comes time to do Best of the Year stuff it will be extremely hard to choose which is really better overall.

It's really nice that you don't even have to use their models to play it, but the models they do make available are quite cool. I've also found new uses for the MERCS Minis models, the Shock Troopers from Wargames Factory, and even 40k models in AE Bounty. As another guy mentioned, the Star Wars pre-painted minis would work just fine as well. It's definitely a flexible system, plus it's fun to play.

My thoughts exactly, I'm finding it difficult to find anything that compares well to these rules for sci-fi skirmishes, they're very easy to get into, and are open to allow all sorts of other sci-fi goodness without using their background, etc.

I hope to get the rules at some point.From this post it looks like it plays really well.

Great table set-up and miniatures by the way.

One question.Do they have rules for flight packs or flying aliens?

Nice to know other miniatures can be used.The start of the range looks very promising.
Thanks again, and yes they do have flying rules. No alien creatures as yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't come at some point, but then again it'd be pretty easy to make some up. General rule seems to be each race gets one 'free' bonus and then pays for any bonuses after that with a disadvantage, ie one free stat increase (or new special rule eg gaining flight) and then for each stat increase afterwards then a stat decrease. So pretty straight forwards.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »
 Thanks for the reply on flying types.

Now I need to find a place in the UK who sells the rules.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius