Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:41:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686625
  • Total Topics: 118115
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rubber car mat village - PT 2 with more pics  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Rubber car mat village - PT 2 with more pics
« on: July 22, 2010, 09:39:56 PM »
Mallamullet asked for more pics with figs for scale so here are a few quickies (with poor lighting).  All the walls are foamcore with one side of the card peeled away and then scribed. The wall tops were done with some of GamerMacs pizza foam which he kindly sent me. All figs Obelisk Tong.

Still needs more details and gubbins - ideas more than welcome.

Cheers

Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Rubber car mat village - PT 2 with more pics
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:48:45 PM »

It look really nice 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 11:02:33 PM »
Great looking village. I like what you did with the scribbing of ther stones. The paint scheme is also very nice as well. How did you paint the stone work? I have also used the rubber floor mat effect, but it is more in line with tiles found in the Mediterranian or Spain and Portugal and not the elongated tiling found in the Far East.

I have been eyeing the Obelisk Tong figures for a while now, and your are the first I have seen painted up...great job by the way. Could you give me an idea how the Obelisk Tong match up with other figure lines? I have purchased the hyenas and baboons, but not people figures from them. Would they match up with Pulp Figures and Copplestone figures?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:37:08 AM »
At last and not before time too. Very nice indeed.  Now I suggest you press on and make some more. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
  • Purple and Green are the only colours you need.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
This is looking pretty well.  The other fella is probably right about the tiles.  Also the eaves curve up more in a lot of the old buildings I've seen, even curving up on the corners which would be tough to model.  Overall I think it looks good.  You could try to put some edge caps or whatever they are called.  They had special tiles caste should read fired I guess for the edges and the peak and the ends of the peak.

PS I've lived in both China and Japan if that means anything...

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 11:37:31 AM »
That compound is fantastic! The buildings are very nicely done, and the walls too. Great scribed brickwork - Overlord would be proud, I'm sure!

As for detailing - which can really tie a project together - I agree with Muskie. Some sort of decorating tile on the bottom edges would look great, but if it's too awkward to glue those on to the ends of the rubber matting, how about something decorative at the ends of crossbeam? Maybe a tile in the shape of some sort of animal head - dragon, tiger, etc. I'm not certain how easy/difficult it might be to find or make something suitable.

Something else which would dress up the eaves would be paper lanterns. I remember that in one of the GW Historical books (Legends of the Old West) there was a chinese laundry with some beautiful paper lanterns. I'll dig it up and see how they were done, if you like. I remember that painted a bright red, they really made the building pop. It might do the same for your buildings too - that final detail to really bring what is an excellent looking table to life!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 12:29:54 PM »
For paper lanterns, consider using small plastic beads. Practically any craft center that caters to kids or little girls offers a wide variety, since bead-stringing is about as entry-level skill-wise as you can get and still claim to be doing a craft.
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 01:41:40 PM »
Excelent idea!
How about a woodpile by the houses and a pile of manure near the barn?

James

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 03:07:32 PM »
Hitman, size wise they are perfect so get them ordered :)

Paint wise I just used a dark base coat and the subsequent lighter colours for drybrushed highlights. All cheap craft paints.

Svennn