Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:54:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Polishing a turd  (Read 9488 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Polishing a turd
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 01:43:42 AM »
LOL. All comes down to a matter of taste. OG does some useful guns and some bits and bobs nobody else does but frankl if I'm handing over cash for lead they would be somewhere near the bottom of my list. Actually I'd like to see a round of the painting comp where you could only enter a selected figure from OG, Irregular or Tiger. Make the buggers work for their glory.  :D

Neat idea you should post it there... http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=18831.0 lol
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
  • Purple and Green are the only colours you need.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 04:27:24 AM »
Even I in the wilds of British Columbia have heard the warning to stay away from Old Glory.

Of course the largest miniature store in town still stocks them, so someone must buy them.  Possibly people who care less about painting than I.

It does look pretty good, who made the banner?  Do you understand the Chinese?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 12:43:36 PM »

Really sorry to hear it.  I have not had that experience.  Were these recent bags? 

Three or four years ago. Pirate gun crew and Wars of Religion swashbucklers. Both equally poor.

Apologies if anyone was seriously offended by being labeled a toffee-nosed elitist.

Not offended at all  :)

I just wanted to point out it's not about being elitist. It's about not putting up with poor quality products.

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »
You should have sent them back for refund then. OG is apparently pretty good about that.

And yes, it's all value for money. I find over on this side of the Atlantic really nice figures like Artizan, Copplestone and Perry are extremely expensive. AND I have had 'premium' sculpts like the aforementioned arrive with flash and mould lines etc. as well.

Old Glory figures really come into their own in big armies (like Imperial Chinese) not individual skirmishers.

Nice looking 'turd' though. I'd be happy with a whole pile of those turds!

James

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 11:08:44 PM »
And yes, it's all value for money.

Like most things, value for money is relative though. For example I bought three bags of Imperial Chinese because they were cheap and I've never used them because I was really disapointed by the quality of the figures. So that's 90 figures I've got sitting in a box possibly never to be used, hardly value for money...
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline QuietWarrior

• Student
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 07:59:50 AM »
You should have sent them back for refund then. OG is apparently pretty good about that.

And yes, it's all value for money. I find over on this side of the Atlantic really nice figures like Artizan, Copplestone and Perry are extremely expensive. AND I have had 'premium' sculpts like the aforementioned arrive with flash and mould lines etc. as well.

Old Glory figures really come into their own in big armies (like Imperial Chinese) not individual skirmishers.

Nice looking 'turd' though. I'd be happy with a whole pile of those turds!

James

Good points, James.

In that I play skirmish or company level stuff I'd just as soon pay the extra bucks for Brigade Games, Copplestone, or Artizan and really enjoy the results and the "paintability", but couldn't afford that luxury if I was doing a whole bunch of figs. 

Cheers....it's a hobby and everyone enjoys various aspects of it for their own reasons  :)

Rob

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2010, 08:34:59 AM »
Like most things, value for money is relative though. For example I bought three bags of Imperial Chinese because they were cheap and I've never used them because I was really disapointed by the quality of the figures. So that's 90 figures I've got sitting in a box possibly never to be used, hardly value for money...

Send them to Svennn, I am sure he woudl be very happy to paint them ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2010, 08:37:41 AM »

Polish them  ;)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 09:36:33 AM »
My biggest beef is how they are sold. I went to the two OG websites and searched the web to find nada. I then was left with having to guage them crammed together in a cloudy poly bag whilst being jostled in front of their stand at a show. Not ideal.

30 figs for £23 is good value these days (no 40% army discount for me) and there are certainly much worse out there. There are also better.

Anyway, I did finish the whole bag
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2010, 10:13:08 AM »

Negotiations have tentatively commenced  ;)

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2010, 03:52:36 PM »
Nice. Makes me want to do Chinese someday!

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2010, 05:17:26 PM »
Looks great, is this part of a larger army or is it the complete army/start of an army?

I could see these guys together with some steam contraptions (sorry but I am VSF biased)

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2010, 11:04:41 PM »
Anyway, I did finish the whole bag

But half an hour later were you hungry again?  ;)

They look great, turd polishing at the highest level Sihing Svennn  8)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2010, 02:27:07 AM »
Hi Svennn
Mate those figures look great ,not sure what they looked like at first ,but now they are very nice.If you dont want them I will have them no worries.

Guys overall The Old Glory range is very patchy ,but seriously who doesnt know that ????

Often as in this case a superior paint job can make them look quite good ,but again that is the same for most brands ,a Perry Or Copplestone painted badly still looks no better than Some Old Glory painted well.
Svennns OG do look better than some Copplestone BOB That I saw posted a while back..
I do have some old glory 25mm, Some Pirates ( which are A bit rough but very animated )and Some Sons of the Desert Arab Cavalry and infantry  that are great.
My mate also  has some  OG 15mm (SYW) he is very demanding and Anal about his figures ,and he has bought 4000 + of them.
However some stuff is crap..period and the web site dosnt help either.
As far as the price goes people have their own justifications,for me cheap is not better ever.

So pick out the best of the  OG ranges, get them a bit cheaper and be happy.
Cheers

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »
And keeps foxes away  :D

Yes, quite fair. Quite fair.
Everything is better with lizardmen.