Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:08:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How to clean a plastic pallet?  (Read 5677 times)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
How to clean a plastic pallet?
« on: July 24, 2010, 12:45:28 AM »
Anyone have one of those GW plastic pallets? 

Anyone know how to get lots of dried acrylic paint off of it? 

Steel wool?  Simple Green?

Or toss it and use disposable margarine lids....   ;)

Offline Big Sexy

• Librarian
Re: How to clean a plastic pallet?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:11:00 AM »
I have a plastic pallet but not GW.  Usually just peeled up in one piece.  Sometimes had to lift an edge with something.  May depend on brand of paint to.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 07:01:40 AM »
Like Big Sexy wrote, its all about the brand. VGC you just peel away and all goes away, VMC is a bit tougher.
I usually put them in hot water with some simple green and let them lie there for half an hour. Then the colour is usually off the pallet, or at least mushy enought to rince away with water.
But, I buy pallets for .20 euros each, so I usually throw them away after two weeks (to the unjoy of the echo-friendly misses).

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 07:25:16 AM »
I'd use a kitchen degreaser to make the paint flexible and then hot water under the tap.

Alternatively, never waste your money of such nonsense again and get a good old ceramic tile!!!  :D

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 09:43:17 AM »
Or use the clear plastic lids from tubes of Pringles.  Yum!  ;)  :D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 02:50:41 PM »
I have the GW one and hot water does the job. As Rob mentions, ceramic tile also works very well. I've got a few left over from remodelling the bathroom. If you are a butterfingers like me it's only a matter of time before yuou drop one on a WIP though!  >:(

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »

I scrape it with a piece of wood Popsicles stick then peel it of.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »
I've got a similar (much cheaper) pallette from an art shop. I have a very thin screwdriver which slides under the paint build-up and just pops most of it off.

I tried a ceramic tile, but knocked it off my table once and it landed edge down on my foot  :'(

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 11:57:55 PM »
Yeah, I use lids from food container, or even the whole container!

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 02:47:20 AM »
i usually wait to clean until i'm doing dishes (yes, i do the dishes!  8) ).  i use s hot a temperature as i can stand for the dishes.  when i start, i throw the plastic pallet in the bottom to soak while i scour the plates, pots and pans.  the last thing i clean is the pallet.  most of the paint has soaked enough water and grabbed the heat to peal sheer off.  them i scrub with the plastic brush - no brillo/steel wool to scratch the heated plastic!  rinse with the tap water and place in the drain to dry.

so i can announce 'Honey the dishes are done!' and 'Oh, i cleaned up my work area as well.'  she doesn't need to know it was all the same task.
\"I drank WHAT!?!\" - Socrates

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 03:38:06 AM »
The big globs of acrylic paint come off my cheap plastic pallet very easilly when I push on the dried globs with a wooden toothpick (which I also use to stir the paint).  I don't feel the need to get every little fleck of acrylic paint off the pallet, so I don't bother washing and scrubbing the thing.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 09:24:19 AM »
i usually wait to clean until i'm doing dishes (yes, i do the dishes!  8) ).  i use s hot a temperature as i can stand for the dishes.  when i start, i throw the plastic pallet in the bottom to soak while i scour the plates, pots and pans.  the last thing i clean is the pallet.  most of the paint has soaked enough water and grabbed the heat to peal sheer off.  them i scrub with the plastic brush - no brillo/steel wool to scratch the heated plastic!  rinse with the tap water and place in the drain to dry.

so i can announce 'Honey the dishes are done!' and 'Oh, i cleaned up my work area as well.'  she doesn't need to know it was all the same task.

Who said blokes can't multi-task?  ;)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 04:12:30 PM »
I use a home-made wet palette for most things but if I need a "normal" palette then...plastic milk bottle tops.  Use once and discard.

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 08:33:54 AM »
Try brushing on a layer of cheap matte medium from an art store before you use the palette.  This will then help you peel off the paint.  Usually where you thin the paints is the hardest part to scrub, but with a clear rubbery medium layer its much easier.

I gave up on plastic palettes and now use mainly tupperware wet palettes and throw away ice cube trays.
Delaney King:  Digital Artist, Sculptor, Character Artist, TransDimentional Spatula Wielder, Sandwich.
My retro mini blog:  http:www.kingsminis.blogspot.com       My own minis and games:  www.darklinggames.com

Offline BigLee

• Assistant
    • BigLee's Miniature Adventures
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 10:41:24 AM »
I usually soak my pallette overnight in hot water and washing up liquid. This lifts or loosens most of the paint and then its just a matter of peeling it off. I wouldn't scrape the surface with anything abrasive. Any scratches mean the next lot of paint will be almost impossible to remove.
Visit my Blog "BigLee's Miniature Adventures" at
http://bigleesminipaintingblog.blogspot.com/