Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:09:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Big board build - I'm (still) forever blowing bubbles - out it comes  (Read 8325 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind

Now Im getting back into the hobby I've refreshed the look of my main blog and started the biggest terrain build I have ever done.

OK – its only 24 inches by 61 cm but thats big for me!

Have a look at http://www.blog.kings-sleep.me.uk/2010/07/big-board.html for now and let me know what you think as the board takes shape.

I'll go though my notes and get the build up here in sequence for you as bits will get in the way in the blog to say nothing of it being upside down  lol

Andrew
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:12:47 PM by AndrewBeasley »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Big board build
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:42:35 PM »
Good start! I like how you have started from scratch and not assumed people already know all the tricks and potential hazards.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all takes shape  :)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:45:41 PM »
Thanks for the comment.

I've a few pictures here in build order:

The base board and total amount of room I have to build this in indoors

The first part of the foam on:

And the slightly too small edging strip:

I'll get the top part completed in the next day or so and add that to this topic.

Andrew

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:54:15 PM »
Nice work Andrew.

I'm impressed by the book collection holding the foam on. My collection consists of Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything and............. nope, that's it.
Don't!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:32:41 PM »
waiting to see it develop! ^^

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »
Took a bit longer than a day to get it done but here are the next steps as detailed on www.blog.kings-sleep.me.uk

As the base is too big for the foam so I completed the edge using off cuts:

and pinned together using tooth picks:

The location of the steps and rough path next to them:

I had fun creating the path - I tried a couple of techniques to create a rough battered path but found the best way was to hit the foam with the flat end of a small hand mattock my wife and daughter use for archaeology field digging  :o It was to hand where as the hammer was too small and just dug into the foam rather than push it down  :)

The overhang / cave front:

I do wonder if I should have made this big enough for figures - maybe on board two or three I'll build a cave...

The depression at the top of the mound will be used to host a rock formation that I picked up on my day off a couple of weeks ago - shear fluke I was in the area (due to a hospital appointment of all things) and I saw these in a tourist shop http://www.the-stone-shop.com/index.htm as cast off bits for £1.50 each:

The figure is a GW Skaven for size reference - no I did not buy it in the shop - it's one of mine...
The stones on the other hand are smokey quartz http://www.the-stone-shop.com/search.htm?search=quartz&start=5

Next step is to cast some rocks for the edges of the hill and then start the first layer of painting.

Andrew

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Casting the rocks
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 08:30:44 AM »
I am quiet impressed by the Woodland Scenics rocks - never used them before but for a first effort wow! (simple things - simple minds)

I've detailed the small 'tester' kit I bought http://www.blog.kings-sleep.me.uk/2010/08/woodland-scenic-rock-kit-part-1.html but do have to say that normal cork, flint or shale would do as good a job for less.  Not as much fun though  :o

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Painting the board
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 04:19:59 PM »
I've put the step by step on the blog http://www.blog.kings-sleep.me.uk/2010/08/woodland-scenic-rock-kit-part-2.html but thought I would add the completed picture here:

Though I still have to tidy up the bottom and mid sections with flock and grasses I have really gotten my moneys worth from this sampler due to the fun it has given me.  If any of you are in two minds about trying to make you own rocks then I would say go out and buy the kit, give it a go and be surprised.

Andrew

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Talus and Green
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 12:57:15 PM »
A few details added at http://www.blog.kings-sleep.me.uk/2010/08/talus-and-how-green-is-my-grass.html but the key steps managed this morning are:

Talus

Bright green with a brown wash
OK - I had a slight problem with a new pot of green paint and did not check it first!  Lesson learnt and corrected with a wash or two of brown:

Now I have got the base paints on I can start to detail the area with hedges etc and get the flock on.  As I have been stuck for time (i.e. glue and wait, paint and wait) a week between stages as been a pain - hopefully I can get some more done in the small amount of time I have.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Hot glue gun and wire = a hedge!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 04:38:49 PM »
I've made two hedges for the grove today by using a small wire former and Woodland Scenic bushes  ;D  For full details please feel free to visit my blog post at http://www.blog.kings-sleep.me.uk/2010/08/foam-hedges-and-burning-fingers.html but for your edification:

Creating the wire former:

Adding the bushes inch by inch, row by row (gonna make this garden grow - sorry a John Denver and The Muppets  :-* moment there)

And when complete:

Deep sorrow over the colours (the green bush is olive if that helps) - I have not yet sorted the new camera out and the old one is make sure I know its being replaced.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Some scenic items
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 06:28:50 PM »
Now I have the first coat of flock on the board (Earth Blend) I decided to treat myself by starting a few scenic items that really bug you when playing skirmish games.

As this is a dedicated board I and building these directly onto / into it rather than separate items:

First up is pond scum:

Very simple to overdo the amount of paint used for this I find.  Best way to date I have found is to use a toothpick and swirl the acrylic paint (no watering down) with a dragging motion rather than a paint brush.  I also find that artist acrylics are better than model paints as they are thicker and more gloopy.

Next up the set of steps:

These are balsa wood cut with scissors and broken by finger to give a worn look.

Last up is a simple rail fence (shown here during the mock up) with a Splintered Light Squirrel acting as a guide.  I want the fence to be permanent so I have pushed it into the foam:

Next step is to flock with a couple of blends and build a few trees.  I can then paint the fence and steps as a treat  :)

Hope you like it - any comments?

Andrew
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:30:24 PM by AndrewBeasley »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Big board build - Starting three scenic items - 30 Aug update
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 08:37:28 PM »
Looking good. Like the higgledy-piggledy steps. Look forward to seeing it all come together  :)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: Big board build - Im forever blowing bubbles
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 02:52:27 PM »
No idea what has happened while I've been laid up sick:

I never have gotten on with the WS Scenic Water and this just confirms my worst fears with it - after 6 weeks its still not clear and now full of bubbles that I did not pour into the dip  >:(

Not sure if I will fill the pond in now or cover with reeds / plants
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:54:13 PM by AndrewBeasley »

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
I'm glad to see you back posting. I hope this means you're feeling 100% again.
I'd leave the pond the way it is. Wierd bubbly pond may have "something below" causing it. And all the cattle mutilations, probing, missing villagers, etc.  :)  Sometimes the imperfect is a lot more fun than the perfect.

Luckyjoe

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Big board build - Im forever blowing bubbles
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 04:42:45 PM »
No idea what has happened while I've been laid up sick:

I never have gotten on with the WS Scenic Water and this just confirms my worst fears with it - after 6 weeks its still not clear and now full of bubbles that I did not pour into the dip  >:(

That's annoying  :(

Yes, it's tricky stuff, that's true. It's easy to use - but also very prone to going wrong if you aren't careful.
You really have to apply it in very thin layers and then build up the layers.
At a depth of 2-3mm it cures virtually overnight. But if you pour it on too thick, it's quite possible for it never to cure.
My rivers (which I thought had fully cured a whole year previously) still bubbled in the heat of last summer - although to be fair they were stored in a very warm loft room. But although the 'water' had cleared - and I assumed had therefore cured - clearly it hadn't gone off completely in the depths  ::)

If I were you, I'd try to hoik out the uncured 'water' that you have in there, and try building it up again in three or four very thin layers, waiting for each layer to set clear and hard before applying the next one. Warmth helps. I've waited in vain for days for the stuff to go off in a garage - then brought it inside to a nice centrally heated room, and found it sets hard and clear overnight.