Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:08:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Indian Army Red Coneheads?  (Read 6162 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Indian Army Red Coneheads?
« on: July 26, 2010, 10:40:44 AM »
Where does the idea of this colour scheme come from?

I have surfed and looked through my books but can find no reference to such an outfit.

EDIT: Looking again it could be Guides or Frontier Force Muslims but it seems a bit late to be wearing a red turban/fez thingy in the field during or post WWI.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Indian Army Red Coneheads?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »
I have a picture of a 1908 Guides infantryman with a red kullah, and a 1918 picture of a Frontier Force infantryman with one (I'm thinking we're looking at the same book). I think perhaps you are right in that on the whole they belong to parade uniforms or an earlier time, though. Did the Guides/Frontier Force ever serve overseas? I don't think they did, so if you don't want them for NWF then perhaps you should paint them khaki.

I would paint the fringe on the cloth red instead if you want a splash of colour, that seems far more common in this period (and it's what I'm going to do when I finally get around to painting some of mine).
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:39:49 AM »
I have a picture of a 1908 Guides infantryman with a red kullah, and a 1918 picture of a Frontier Force infantryman with one (I'm thinking we're looking at the same book). I think perhaps you are right in that on the whole they belong to parade uniforms or an earlier time, though. Did the Guides/Frontier Force ever serve overseas? I don't think they did, so if you don't want them for NWF then perhaps you should paint them khaki.

I would paint the fringe on the cloth red instead if you want a splash of colour, that seems far more common in this period (and it's what I'm going to do when I finally get around to painting some of mine).

I am looking at "Teh Indian Arm" by Mollo.

In most images I've looked at those coned kullahs...

..seems to be kakhi. Buuut... as they *are* for NWF I may indulge in a little splash of red on the sashes which seems to be all the rage among the Punjabi Mohammadans.

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:17:08 AM »
If I remeber correctly the Kullah colors schemes for Cavalry were divided by regiment races, red for muslims regiments , yellow for sikhs regiments , white, green or blue  for others.
Altough the Ist Sikhs infantry Rgt. were shown with red kullah ( strange as the Sikhs not used kullah).

sometimes the Guides  cover the coloured kullah with kakhi cover, but they were very proud and in some engagements they have the red kullah shown.

The way the turban is tied, also  suggests a cast style.

Guides Cavalry served overseas during WW1 in Mesopotamia, and an infantry  company attached to 57th Rifles in France too (with worst results due to climate ).
I should have an old articles with shown the kullah and pagri colours explanations, I'll look and post it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 08:20:06 AM by Shikari Sahib »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 08:22:08 AM »

I should have an old articles with shown the kullah and pagri colours explanations, I'll look and post it.

That'd be great, Shikari. Thanks!

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »
I look in my records and I found some articles that I'll post tomorrow,
By the way ,somebody knows how to post PDF ?

Anyway the kullah was used only by Mohamedans/Muslims and Rajputs  Infantry regiments , for the colors of the kullah I had to check again,
Too many things to remember >:(
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:01:49 PM by Shikari Sahib »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 06:54:30 AM »
Anyway the kullah was used only by Mohamedans/Muslims and Rajputs  Infantry regiments , for the colors of the kullah I had to check again,

So not any Punjabi trooper?

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:39:07 AM »
So not any Punjabi trooper?

yes Hammers, Punjab tropper (cavalry) or sepoy (infantry) do, it depend if the regiment was composed by Muslims or other races.
is very complicated, for example the 13th bengal Inf. Rgt was composed by:
coys of Hindustani, Rajputs and Jats, many regiments were of mixed races.
organization were on coys/troops bases.

in the book of Mollo apart the numerations of the regiments you'll find the notes on which class or races were formed, following this you could (? ??? lol) organize your unit.
so if the regiment were of Punjabis Mohamedans they have kullah, if of Jat Siks or Dogra , no kullah.

for the colors of the kullah I have not yet found some definitive.
my memories said that kullah colors were another distinction, but not so sure now.
I have seen many painting of Simkins, Lovett with soldiers with red kullah, or blue, or yellow-gold,
but I would like to found some more definitive  notes.

I could try to post some PDF, do you know how to do?
Piero

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 09:31:34 AM »
here Hammers the articles.

30th Punjabis and 20th Bengal Inf.

Frontier Force Rgts

Guides

Lungi Pagri (Turban) Indian Cavalry RGTs.

hope of interest.
ciao
Piero

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 03:40:04 PM »
Dear lord, this is like keeping track of Swedish folk costumes which varies from parish to parish *and* according to marital status. Quite a few permutations, as you can imagine.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 07:18:06 PM »
Fortunately for you none of the current crop of manufacturers has had the wit or wisdom to produce more than two basic head types, invariably labelled 'Sikh' and 'Muslim'. I know quite a few variations can be acheived with a little putty but Piero's excellent plates don't even show the full variation. Some of the baluchi types wore quite elaborate and distinctively shaped head wear. Naturally, all the "Sikh' type heads out there come as bearded types. Less useful if you want the basic shape but don't want such hirsute types.

Anyway, high time some imaginative mini manufacturer produced some more Indian head variants. Sorry, hobby horse of mine.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 07:24:02 PM »
Yes there are many variations too, as mentioned by Carlos M.
And unfortunately no manufacturers make more than 2 or 3 models.
Willie make some Bombay/Baluchis type that is very nice, especially if you like old model figurines, Willie and Tradition 30mm made also some Rajput and Jat figures.

As my favourite regiment I had various different type of figures to portrait my Guides Corps.
The Guides were composed by:
2 coys of Sikhs
1 coy of Punjabis Mahomedans
2 coys pf Pathans
1 coy of Dogra
1 coy of Gurkhas
1 coy mixed  o_o lol
So I have 1 unit of Sikhs (WF)  1 of Pathans (Willie)  1 of Punjabis  (Willie) and 1 of Dogras( Tradition 30mm)
Fascinating :-*

The difference where about races, religion and class too.
Very fascinating   ;D