Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:56:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SoBaH terrain suggestions?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
SoBaH terrain suggestions?
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:44:34 PM »
So I had SoBaH on my pc for some time, but didn't get to play it until recently, and darn its quite good.

Anyhow, I have all books, (bought a bundle some time, cant even remember when) so I have all terrain rules at hand. Anyhow I was planning to make a nice and crowded board for the game, you know the sort skirmish games play best on.

So I was wondering what you people consider to be the best and most fun features to play with. Also what size of table is big enough? Remmeber it will probably be crowded, I find that boards like that can be smaller and still offer enough options as you have to wind your way around instead of move straight towards each other.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:20:54 PM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: SoBaH terain sugestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 11:11:08 PM »
In 28mm you'll only need a 3x3 - anything bigger and the morale rules will not work as they should as things don't 'run' off the table.

In the fantasy set you don't need heaps of terrain in normal games as it plays little point when you have to get into hth anyway (in the shooty modern version Flying Lead you need realistic amounts of cover to help you survive! )

It's good to play over some terrain features as scenario pieces such as rickety bridges etc etc there are some great ideas in the songs of water etc book ...
Rich J

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: SoBaH terrain suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:52:02 PM »
Forests are always fun as there are plenty of ambush opportunities  :D

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:15:02 AM »
Burial mounds full of nasty undead people, swamps with nasty undead people in, caves with... you get the picture!

... anything that might have something nasty lurking inside!  >:D

River fords and crossings are good to fight over and other terrain pieces that are integral to the scenario are fun - mine entrances, abandoned forts, lost temples, etc.

Bit off topic but I also loved the alien flora and fauna section of the old Rogue Trader rulebook - loads of nasty alien plants that were rather dangerous!

Offline Ravenwood

• Student
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:48:33 AM »
Here's a Grendel piece that I like a lot for skirmish games:

The old GW graveyard is another versatile piece

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 07:06:05 AM »
Forests/woods. Hands down the most versatile terrain piece in SBH. They block line of sight but you can still navigate through them. They can be used to hide in for the ambush rules. They usually look good. =) In SBH it's very important to know the edge of the woods so it won't work well with single based trees spread over the table. Mount them on a piece of mdf, cork, card, masonite or similar.

Also, rock mounds. Block line of sight, can be used to hide with the stealth rule. Impassable, so differs from woods in that aspect.

Both pieces are incredibly easy to make and make up the majority of my terrain.

I suppose this is not what you're asking for though, but rather which special terrain types that are the most fun. I have no clue about that. =)

Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:11:10 AM »
No its very useful advice, I wasn't planning to make particularly many woods, but apparently I should.

I was thinking of having the board have a river from one corer to the other, perhaps even a waterfall at one side with a tunnel behind it, tough that would greatly reduce the modularity of the table I suppose.

I think height variations should look nice on the tabl. For this game its easier to do since I wont need to place entire units on them. But I should leave room for the forests and rocks.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 02:38:29 PM »
i'm also making a 15mm table for SoBH:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=19281.0
old topic, since i've paused this project for some more remunerative ones, but still playable :)

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 07:15:14 AM »
I find raised plinths and dias's make for fun gameplay- since you get a bonus dice for holding higher ground, people tend to rush to try and occupy these.  Kinda like musical chairs but with more blood.

Ganging up on models is a core mechanic, so having doorways or pillars to act as defensive choke points also helps gameplay.

:)
Delaney King:  Digital Artist, Sculptor, Character Artist, TransDimentional Spatula Wielder, Sandwich.
My retro mini blog:  http:www.kingsminis.blogspot.com       My own minis and games:  www.darklinggames.com