Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:04:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Storing resin: advice please.  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Storing resin: advice please.
« on: July 31, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »
I have a heap of painted and unpainted resin buildings taking up valuable storage space in the house so I'm looking for somewhere else to store them over winter. I've got two options; the attic or the shed.

I was just wondering how (and if) constant cold and low temperatures will effect them. Being in the West Midlands (of England) I doubt the temperatures will ever fall below -10 and even then not for long.
Don't!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Storing resin: advice please.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:31:35 PM »
You could just send them all to me and I will look after the sensitive little things. lol

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 06:53:02 PM »
The loft should be OK but then again the shed shouldnt be an issue, what are you worrying about?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
They'll be fine. Cold doesn't really effect the resin once it's set, nor does water so either location will be fine.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 10:22:45 PM »
The loft should be OK but then again the shed shouldnt be an issue, what are you worrying about?

I've always stored my painted goodies within the insulated confines of chez Thunderchicken. Just hate the thought of putting them out into the cold to see the work undone. You know, condensation and all that malarky.

Anyway, thanks chaps.

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 01:18:16 PM »
Assuming its polyurethane resin, without hollows or excessive fillers, then it should be fine left pretty much anywhere other than in direct sunlight.

Sunlight will just cause it turn funny colours btw, but that's about it. Once set, as the chaps above have said, it is pretty much bullet-proof.
\"You don\'t need eyes to see, you need vision.\"

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 02:03:59 PM »
Place them on an even surface so that they donīt warp. I had some problems with that

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 05:13:41 PM »
Place them on an even surface so that they donīt warp. I had some problems with that

That shouldn't be an issue unless they're very thin or liable to get hot. But it's a good suggestion for storing anything really.

Assuming its polyurethane resin, without hollows or excessive fillers, then it should be fine left pretty much anywhere other than in direct sunlight.

Well if it's not urethane then it's likely to be polyester (the only two I've ever seen wargames stuf made in) and that stuff is impervious to all weather and heat etc but chips very easily.

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »
Well if it's not urethane then it's likely to be polyester (the only two I've ever seen wargames stuf made in) and that stuff is impervious to all weather and heat etc but chips very easily.

It can sweat in heat is the main issue - and the fumes it then gives off are noxious to some people; so keep it out of direct sunlight and high temperatures and/or leave it in a ventilated area.

I, f.ex, can smell polyester from 100 yards away and will be vomitting my guts out within about 2 minutes of sitting near any...it's truly horrid stuff if you are sensitive to it.

Some people who use polyester, becuase it is cheap, also cut it with other products to bulk it out and make it cheaper still - those can include all sorts of stupid materials such as gasolene/diesel etc... and those will also be sweated-out in high temperatures.

Truly horrid stuff.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »
It can sweat in heat is the main issue - and the fumes it then gives off are noxious to some people; so keep it out of direct sunlight and high temperatures and/or leave it in a ventilated area.

I, f.ex, can smell polyester from 100 yards away and will be vomitting my guts out within about 2 minutes of sitting near any...it's truly horrid stuff if you are sensitive to it.

Some people who use polyester, becuase it is cheap, also cut it with other products to bulk it out and make it cheaper still - those can include all sorts of stupid materials such as gasolene/diesel etc... and those will also be sweated-out in high temperatures.

Truly horrid stuff.

Yeah, that would be very bad. I've never had issues with polyester sweating, only discolouring but the stuff we used to use basically set like porcelain. If it was cut with petrol etc I can see that being dangerous...